EOSHD Opinion - The Sony A6400 is an absolute turkey

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Get off the fence and tell us what you really think of it ;)

Was looking at the list of updates they announced in the new firmware for the a9 thinking "surely somewhere in that long list they'll have finally added picture profiles...."

Nope.

Did you check on the "and many others" section?

Agreed. The hate is warranted, Sony must have their head in the sand at this point, I'm pretty sure they could ask my mum (who knows nothing about cameras) and she would have got half those things right. So much opportunity, so many issues.

I went through the process of getting a Vlog style setup for my partner recently. I ended up with the EOSm50. I already had the 22mm and 18-55mm from a past EOSm purchase and got the 11-22mm with it. Honestly I think it's the best option at the moment. For better quality I have a GH5, but for walk around selfie stuff the EOSm's light weight, flippy screen, mic in, audio out and flawless autofocus is hard to beat (also the price was good 700USD for the package).

If Canon or Sony (or anyone) does an EOSm50 with 4K (possibly 60fps) and IBIS it will sell very well.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Get off the fence and tell us what you really think of it ;)

Was looking at the list of updates they announced in the new firmware for the a9 thinking "surely somewhere in that long list they'll have finally added picture profiles...."

Nope.

It's baffling!!

Thought this might be able to be my next vlogging camera, as with the Sony 20mm pancake it could be a pretty sweet compact setup. I can even overlook the selfie screen / hotshoe clashing, but no IBIS??

Sorry, the cheaper Panasonic G85 still reigns supreme in my desires to by my next vlogging camera.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Did you check on the "and many others" section?

If the details of that are in their official press release then it must be in a white font. A small one. On a white background ;)

Seems some of those features are only coming in the summer v6.0 as well rather than the more immediate v5.0

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/39794865/sony-announces-9-camera-upgrade-through-major-firmware-updates

Fair play to them for adding more functionality though.

50 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's baffling!!

I presume its only Theresa May levels of myopic stubborness that stops them accepting its barely made a dent in the market they wanted it to but that it could still have legs as a bit of a hybrid powerhouse. 

1 hour ago, tweak said:

Agreed. The hate is warranted, Sony must have their head in the sand at this point, I'm pretty sure they could ask my mum (who knows nothing about cameras) and she would have got half those things right. So much opportunity, so many issues.

Sony....  the next Canon?

1 hour ago, tweak said:

If Canon or Sony (or anyone) does an EOSm50 with 4K (possibly 60fps) and IBIS it will sell very well.

It exists. Is called "the Panasonic G85".

+1 for the Turkey but this isn't completely absurd neither. The launch price is below what it was with the a6300 ($1,000). The a6500 started at $1400 if I remember correctly.
So this new a6300 is the "cheap no IBIS" entry level segment while the next a7000 will come with all the fancy specs. That said, I doubt that Sony will fix the ergonomics and usability on this one...

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

sony-a6400.jpg

This cut-price unimaginative attempt to corner the Vlogger market is a load of shit.

Oops. This will be a short blog post.

Read the full article

I think this camera is intended to replace the a6300, which was still being sold alongside the a6500 (Sony do this with a lot of their cameras, there is a range of versions at any one time). People who would normally be buying the a6300 would be buying this instead. The a6500 will be replaced by a newer higher end model and that would address a different part of the market.

Just think of it as a RX100 VA with an interchangeable lens.

15 minutes ago, Mokara said:

I think this camera is intended to replace the a6300, which was still being sold alongside the a6500 (Sony do this with a lot of their cameras, there is a range of versions at any one time). People who would normally be buying the a6300 would be buying this instead. The a6500 will be replaced by a newer higher end model and that would address a different part of the market.

Just think of it as a RX100 VA with an interchangeable lens.

Seems like it would make more sense to do this with a new sensor and limited features then release a higher end A7100 or something. 

2 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Seems like it would make more sense to do this with a new sensor and limited features then release a higher end A7100 or something. 

Not really, it fits with Sony's long time strategy of graded products, using older tech for the sake of economy. It is very similar to what they did with the RX100 VA replacing the RX100 V while at the same time adding the VI model. These sorts of products are intended as entry level cameras, and cost of materials is critical there. So they use components they already have. In this case it is most of the a6300 with the LSI from more recent products added but without the expensive IBIS mechanisms. So, nothing really new, but it fits in the low cost entry level niche.

10 minutes ago, Mokara said:

Not really, it fits with Sony's long time strategy of graded products, using older tech for the sake of economy. It is very similar to what they did with the RX100 VA replacing the RX100 V while at the same time adding the VI model. These sorts of products are intended as entry level cameras, and cost of materials is critical there. So they use components they already have. In this case it is most of the a6300 with the LSI from more recent products added but without the expensive IBIS mechanisms. So, nothing really new, but it fits in the low cost entry level niche.

IBIS would have made sense in this supposed vlogging camera. But yeah they are saving money while delivering a subpar product IMO.

21 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

IBIS would have made sense in this supposed vlogging camera. But yeah they are saving money while delivering a subpar product IMO.

But they said its the best AF in the world!!! I look forward to the jumpy micro stuttering AF & sensor dust on the videos from this ?