Sony A6400

wolf33d

With all the new mirrorless combos, I'm really looking for a mirrorless system where I can use the same lenses for both a full frame, pro-body and a smaller APS-C, take anywhere, be more discreet body - as well as possibly use for higher end cinema stuff when needed. Unfortunately, Sony is the only manufacturer that has a good lens lineup and mount (FS7/5, A7x, A6500...) to achieve this. But wow - their ergonomics and image and color continue to be horrible in my opinion. 

Hoping the L-Mount lens lineup fills out soon, plus adds an L-Mount EVA-2 and Sigma APS-C camera. The Panasonic S1 is really exciting.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, currensheldon said:

With all the new mirrorless combos, I'm really looking for a mirrorless system where I can use the same lenses for both a full frame, pro-body and a smaller APS-C, take anywhere, be more discreet body - as well as possibly use for higher end cinema stuff when needed. Unfortunately, Sony is the only manufacturer that has a good lens lineup and mount (FS7/5, A7x, A6500...) to achieve this. But wow - their ergonomics and image and color continue to be horrible in my opinion. 

Hoping the L-Mount lens lineup fills out soon, plus adds an L-Mount EVA-2 and Sigma APS-C camera. The Panasonic S1 is really exciting.

The A7siii and a7000 could change things

4 hours ago, frontfocus said:

The real question is, why would you buy this camera, when you can get an a6500 for less money?

a6500 body sells for $1198, while the a6400 body sells for $898. It is $100 less than the retail price of the a6300 even. It is clearly intended to replace the a6300.

<start rant>

I feel that selfie vlogging is the lowest kind of film-making and for the most part completely unnecessary. What was once written in short comprehensive (blog) texts now takes dozens of minutes of incoherent blabber banking on the vloggers charisma. This is en even bigger problem when reviewing gear, since most of the testing is not comparable to anything, so it is all extremely subjective.

I know that Sony needs a model to cover these users, but it is so frustrating when vlog reviewers (and manufacturers even?) push there (few) features they need as be all end all. I would like to think that most amateur customers still point their cameras away from their faces.

</end rant>

A6400 seems like a good upgrade to the A6000, which debuted at $800 I think? However, adding even more AF processing on top of 6K downscaled 4K cannot be good for overheating.

15 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

<start rant>

I feel that selfie vlogging is the lowest kind of film-making and for the most part completely unnecessary. What was once written in short comprehensive (blog) texts now takes dozens of minutes of incoherent blabber banking on the vloggers charisma. This is en even bigger problem when reviewing gear, since most of the testing is not comparable to anything, so it is all extremely subjective.

I know that Sony needs a model to cover these users, but it is so frustrating when vlog reviewers (and manufacturers even?) push there (few) features they need as be all end all. I would like to think that most amateur customers still point their cameras away from their faces.

</end rant>

A6400 seems like a good upgrade to the A6000, which debuted at $800 I think? However, adding even more AF processing on top of 6K downscaled 4K cannot be good for overheating.

Hopefully the new processor is more heat efficient. 

5 hours ago, Mokara said:

a6500 body sells for $1198, while the a6400 body sells for $898. It is $100 less than the retail price of the a6300 even. It is clearly intended to replace the a6300.

Here in Europe the A6400 will be introduced for 1050€. You can easily get a new A6500 for around 1000€. So while the A6400 is intended to replace the A6300, it‘s competing in price with more powerful cameras. 

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I don't understand why the readout wouldn't be faster if its got the A9 processor in it. 

Because the sensor speed is the limiting factor. As @androidlad said, it looks like it‘s the same A6300 sensor

Everyone is doing weddings these days, most of them are buying an a6300/6500 with the 18-105mm, I see this group buying into the a6400 and charge silly money for very bad jobs, like most of them do, anyway.

This is going to sell to the dozens of  thousands. People underestimate the APS-C sales, Sony's biggest success is the aXXXX series, still at, or near the top at the total mILC/ILC sales.

13 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Or alternatively I hope Nikon finally finally makes a cinema class camera! With a Z mount of course. 

Imagine a Z6 with SDI outputs, TC I/O, XLR, and ND filters. 

1 hour ago, toxotis70 said:

There are other things in a6400 too....biggest positive is the elimination of 29 minutes in video!

another good thing is the adoption of HLG video, hdr video without the need of slog.

30 min limit was due to some EU regulations for importing video cameras. This has been lifted as of 2019 and all new releases should ditch the limit. I don't know if older models can be legally modified via FW updates, but I'd say it is very likely.

13 hours ago, frontfocus said:

Here in Europe the A6400 will be introduced for 1050€. You can easily get a new A6500 for around 1000€. So while the A6400 is intended to replace the A6300, it‘s competing in price with more powerful cameras. 

Because the sensor speed is the limiting factor. As @androidlad said, it looks like it‘s the same A6300 sensor

The list price is the one you compare. Other cameras might have discounts applied to them from time to time, but so will the a6400.

7 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

The question now is how much of this upgrading could have been done with a FW update for the A6300 (aside from the new screen hinge) and if the AF improvements are coming to the A6500 as well.

None. The focusing and basic video processing is handled by a separate processor called the LSI in Sony cameras. The a6300 has an older LSI, while the a6400 has the most recent one. That is the main internal difference.

Btw, most of the higher end Canon cameras do the same thing, in addition to the main processor (or processors in the case of cameras with dual processors) there is an older Digic processor that handles the focussing system (it is not mentioned in the specs), which is the main reason why the more expensive cameras have more capabilities than the cheaper consumer models even though the hardware might seem similar on the spec sheet.