Sony A6400

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This seems like a decent budget camera. Nothing groundbreaking, true, but it has oversampled 4k, and HD 120 all for under $1k brand new. I would like to see HEVC, but Sony has never been class leading in the codec department so no surprises there.

I would compare it to a P4K with half the video goodies removed, and some decent photo and AF features added.

4 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

I would compare it to a P4K with half the video goodies removed, and some decent photo and AF features added.

Nothing to do with the P4K. Not in the slightest. I mean, they both have some buttons, a screen, a sensor and record on media cards, but not much more in common.

The one is an everyday cheap camera, and the other a cheap cinema camera.

This is going to be a best seller for sure.

Didn't we expect a pro APS-C?

48 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Sony A6400 is here. My point of view:

Uninteresting camera, with great new AF tech.

check the Sony video. The AF tracking seems incredible and they finally implemented touch AF. 

While I don’t care about this camera I am happy to see the A7SIII AF will be great.

I agree.

Therefore, vloggers already complaint about the tilt screen position, which will be a pain to use with a mic in the hotshoe.

Also, same old weak battery, no ibis, no headphone jack, same sensor with same terrible rolling shutter and probably same overheating issue , for 1050€. I’ll pass ?

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Nothing to do with the P4K. Not in the slightest. I mean, they both have some buttons, a screen, a sensor and record on media cards, but not much more in common.

The one is an everyday cheap camera, and the other a cheap cinema camera.

This is going to be a best seller for sure.

Didn't we expect a pro APS-C?

Similar price, both will be used by vloggers, hobbyists, students, and professionals for a variety of purposes, and both will end up in those "$1000 camera vs Arri Alexa" videos. Both have some features i like, and lack some that i find essential.

Considering the price, i find a comparison between this and the p4k more apt than say a comparison between this and an a7s3, or between the p4k and an ursa mini. In both of those cases, one option is simply out of my budget.

If you want to tell people which cameras can be compared, youve got a lot of internet to police.

Good thing with this is A7III/riii/a9 getting intervalometer build in in the next firmware, dont have to buy external one finally!

Only thing is will this overheat like A6x000 do? Does it have high temp setting like A6500? No Playmemories means no unlimited recodring hack which is a bummer.

14 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

So it's the same sensor as the A6300 with that terrible rolling shutter? That would be disappointing. The A7000 should be impressive though. If they improve color and 1080p they will be the top camera for video and photos.

Its an upgraded sensor, no word on rolling shutter. If its still full sensor readout oversampled 6K video then I doubt it will have improved.

I just saw one of the vlogging videos which it seems Sony aimed the camera at. When he moved the camera the rolling shutter was insane. So I guess no or little improvement there.

But I don‘t think the camera is aimed at anyone who would come to this forum but the firmware updates do look interesting!

36 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Its an upgraded sensor, no word on rolling shutter. If its still full sensor readout oversampled 6K video then I doubt it will have improved.

It's the same A6300/6500 sensor, even the PDAF mask is the same with 425 points.

Interface and processor are upgraded for a bit faster readout.

Interesting that A6400 removed 29:59 recording limit.

2 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

The real question is, why would you buy this camera, when you can get an a6500 for less money?

I won't be getting the camera but the auto focus and flip screen are a big deal to a lot of people, the updated color profiles are a nice touch too. Overall I think it was a cheap move on Sony's part not to improve the rolling shutter though. $900 is a decent price.