Perfect lighting kit in a backpack. Aputure Amaran AL-F7.

amsh89es335

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great kit! I really love portable lights. I have the Aputure LS20 kit (3 little fresnel lights with tripods, batteries, etc) and it's great for a small "set" like an interview with one person talking to camera. It's also great because you can power via the power cable or batteries, and are so small that can fit almost everywhere.

I'll take a look to that lights, maybe they are a good complement to my more directional portable fresnels

looking good - i have been experimenting with the gh5s at high isos (3200 and 6400) and using the lights on dialled down settings - and you get great run time on set.- and as the lights 

run at lower power percentages they look a bit more diffused too. High iso performance changes the game in terms of overall gear footprint and set up times / practicalities. 

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on high iso shooting and its subsequent  effect on lighting requirements.

30 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

Looks nice. I love a compact setup.

Do you shoot mostly at night or in low luminance areas? It can be a struggle to compete with natural light in a bright space, having a few 5/1s can a life saver to create a nice look. 

The goal of the kit was for indoor use or night time wouldn't be much help with on a sunny day. Maybe one day lights will be the efficient. 

3 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Looks nice. I love a compact setup.

Do you shoot mostly at night or in low luminance areas? It can be a struggle to compete with natural light in a bright space, having a few 5/1s can a life saver to create a nice look. 

Would it also limit your ability to control practicals too?  Eg, if you wanted to have a practical be a subtle thing in the background, you would only be able to overpower it to a certain degree.  

BUT, if you aren't competing with other lights then it makes sense to me!

• 5 months later...

This is a super helpful post--thanks for this!

Curious why you went with the F7s over the 672s (or even the 528s)? Supposedly, the 672s produces 6k+ lux vs. 3k for two f7s combined. The 672s also comes with 2 NPF-970 batteries, AC adapter and remote for $278 (versus $200 for a pair of F7s). The footprint is about the same and while the beam angle is tighter (25 degrees vs. 45 for the F7), the umbrella should help spread it out a bit. Only real advantages to the F7 (from what I can tell) is the ability to split them up and battery life (but only 50-60% the output of the 672 and about 75% of the 528). Welcome your thoughts and thanks again!