5K RAW 24p video for $150 - Magic Lantern making great strides on Canon EOS M

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, Jip-Hop said:

Wanted to share my first trial with Canon EOS M, Magic Lantern RAW and vintage lenses.
Also the first time I use Davinci Resolve for editing and grading.
Overall I'm quite happy with the results.

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/bDT8-ChgzrE.
Make sure to watch it in 4K, even on non-4K screens, because it has way less compression artefacts.

Shot in mv1080 at 1736x976 resolution, 25fps.
Using Helios 44-2, Mir 1B and maybe in some shots the Jupiter 9.
Also used two stacked polariser filters as variable ND.
Didn't use a LCD viewfinder, but plan to use one next time.
Need to get more stable shots, so I applied stabilisation in post.
Sound recorded with Rode VideoMicro.

Overall I like it. Very organic. It has a soul. I would be curious to see this in a lite setting. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just watched it and it looks very nice and natural! Great work :). You must have shot a bunch of clips to get 13 minutes. I shoot around 150-200 clips and by the time I finish editing its down to about 6-8 minutes. The russian lenses are also nice, im still waiting for my PL Mounted Helios to come in from Russia. Anyway, keep up the good work! 

Some excerpts from a video I recorded with the EOS M and Magic Lantern RAW (June 16, 2019). I was at a mini carnival and these two Transformers came out of nowhere and started dancing and taking photos with people. They thought I was taking a photo of them, but little did they know I was recording them with Magic Lantern. A once in a lifetime shot to get close with Hollywood Transformers LOL. The whole video that goes for about 2 minutes will be uploaded on Youtube soon...Great Camera! An anamorphic lens would have done a little better maybe with the flares.  

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 11.59.06 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 7.24.44 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.09.40 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 11.04.45 pm.png

3 minutes ago, ZEEK said:

Some excerpts from a video I recorded with the EOS M and Magic Lantern RAW (June 16, 2019). I was at a mini carnival and these two Transformers came out of nowhere and started dancing and taking photos with people. They thought I was taking a photo of them, but little did they know I was recording them with Magic Lantern. A once in a lifetime shot to get close with Hollywood Transformers LOL. The whole video that goes for about 2 minutes will be uploaded on Youtube soon...Great Camera! An anamorphic lens would have done a little better maybe with the flares.  

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 11.59.06 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 7.24.44 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.09.40 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 11.04.45 pm.png

Those look amazing. They could be screengrabs from the film. Great job. What lens did you use and what is your grading workflow with ML Raw?

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

Those look amazing. They could be screengrabs from the film. Great job. What lens did you use and what is your grading workflow with ML Raw?

Thanks. The whole video was shot with just one Nikkor 50mm F/2 lens which was pretty amazing. Surprisingly no LUT was used for this, files were placed into MLV App, basic color correction e.g. white balance, exposure etc, sharpness 50% clarity -40, exported as Prores4444, RAW Linear, Upscaled to 3840X2160 and then exported from Final Cut Pro X as 4K.

I look forward to your vid.

I shot a test video for my wife's jewellery making business over the weekend with the EOS M (ML).

Some things I noted:

• The 46fps mode from the Danne build gets me about 2 seconds in 14 bit lossless. (I didn't try it on any other setting.)
  • The 50fps in 720p mode looks like... 720p (interestingly the resolution was listed as about 1790-ish x 600-ish), and I was getting moire in some scenes
  • I noticed what looked like some aliasing(?) too in the MCM rewire mode in 1080p (see the top of the ring):
    image.png.7122132ee965deef1986e7ed578576e8.png

Does anyone know if aliasing is normal with ML on the EOS M? Or is it prone to come out with certain lenses? I used an EF 50mm 1.8 STM.

11 minutes ago, plucas said:

I look forward to your vid.

I shot a test video for my wife's jewellery making business over the weekend with the EOS M (ML).

Some things I noted:

• The 46fps mode from the Danne build gets me about 2 seconds in 14 bit lossless. (I didn't try it on any other setting.)
  • The 50fps in 720p mode looks like... 720p (interestingly the resolution was listed as about 1790-ish x 600-ish), and I was getting moire in some scenes
  • I noticed what looked like some aliasing(?) too in the MCM rewire mode in 1080p (see the top of the ring):
    image.png.7122132ee965deef1986e7ed578576e8.png

Does anyone know if aliasing is normal with ML on the EOS M? Or is it prone to come out with certain lenses? I used an EF 50mm 1.8 STM.

720p is a no-go with RAW on any ML Capable camera as it will produce aliasing like crazy! Aliasing is common nature for digital cameras, some more than others. There is aliasing even with Blackmagic RAW Cameras. I wouldn't touch 720p at all. I also have the nifty fifty STM and that lens is really great, but aliasing can be quite pronounce depending on how you use it (e.g. infinity focus or wide open). 

I shot a 48p 720p test on my 5D3 last year and was pleasantly surprised by it...

1 hour ago, ZEEK said:

Thanks. The whole video was shot with just one Nikkor 50mm F/2 lens which was pretty amazing. Surprisingly no LUT was used for this, files were placed into MLV App, basic color correction e.g. white balance, exposure etc, sharpness 50% clarity -40, exported as Prores4444, RAW Linear, Upscaled to 3840X2160 and then exported from Final Cut Pro X as 4K.

That 50mm Nikkor is great piece of cheap glass. It pairs nicely with the 28mm f/2 because they’re both so contrasty wide open.

Does the 4ak upscale in MLV App take a long time to process?

Nice one, it actually works really nicely! I use a Macbook PRO 2012 with 16gb ram and 512gb ssd and upscaling to 3840x2160 is fine. I exported a total 114 clips with that resolution. The trick is that I record for no more than 6 seconds per shot or below 10 seconds at max which is all I need. So it exports quickly per clip when upscaling to 4K. Longer clips will take a long time.   

4 hours ago, ZEEK said:

720p is a no-go with RAW on any ML Capable camera as it will produce aliasing like crazy! Aliasing is common nature for digital cameras, some more than others. There is aliasing even with Blackmagic RAW Cameras. I wouldn't touch 720p at all. I also have the nifty fifty STM and that lens is really great, but aliasing can be quite pronounce depending on how you use it (e.g. infinity focus or wide open). 

Thanks for the tip! Perhaps that 45fps option in 1080p for 2 seconds max could still be useful if slowed down to 50%. Four second B roll clips are very short but if you take enough of them, you could still end up with enough material for decent B roll. I don't know if that's what you used but you look to utilise some slow motion from the EOS M in your "Quick Night Test" video - near the start with the traffic lights, the phone box clip, and on the shoes.

I'm about to next try out the Tamron 85 1.8 SP VC, which arrived today.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:29 PM, DBounce said:

Overall I like it. Very organic. It has a soul. I would be curious to see this in a lite setting. 

Thanks :) glad you like it. Curious to hear what you mean by lite setting.

On 6/15/2019 at 12:32 AM, ZEEK said:

Just watched it and it looks very nice and natural! Great work :). You must have shot a bunch of clips to get 13 minutes. I shoot around 150-200 clips and by the time I finish editing its down to about 6-8 minutes. The russian lenses are also nice, im still waiting for my PL Mounted Helios to come in from Russia. Anyway, keep up the good work! 

Thanks Zeek! Bought the EOS M because of your great video's ? Yeah, it was my first time shooting and was a bit enthusiastic. Already filled a 64GB card as soon as we left the house... Super cool framegrabs with the Transformers by the way! Looking forward to your new video.

Forgot to mention I used the Viltrox speedbooster too.

4 hours ago, plucas said:

Thanks for the tip! Perhaps that 45fps option in 1080p for 2 seconds max could still be useful if slowed down to 50%. Four second B roll clips are very short but if you take enough of them, you could still end up with enough material for decent B roll. I don't know if that's what you used but you look to utilise some slow motion from the EOS M in your "Quick Night Test" video - near the start with the traffic lights, the phone box clip, and on the shoes.

I'm about to next try out the Tamron 85 1.8 SP VC, which arrived today.

No, no slow motion was used in the video "quick night test", it's just really slow movement from myself and a bit of stabilisation. The Tamron 85mm f1.8 VC is a renown lens, should be good, although it will make footage look a little compressed if that's what you're after. The VC is really good on it, I used to have the 45mm F1.8 a while back with my 5DIII. 

I have a question/questions for you guys running Magic Lantern on the Eos-M. When shooting video, can you adjust Exposure to overexpose/underexpose? Example, I had a GX80 i used to shot in 40ss or 50ss on 24frames second. With my "anamorfake" Helios 58 with the blades removed, in daylight its way to light(its always wide open...)-nighttime/evening shots looks good tough.

My question is basically can you manually adjust/set: Underexposing/Overexposing?

10 hours ago, Nordee said:

I have a question/questions for you guys running Magic Lantern on the Eos-M. When shooting video, can you adjust Exposure to overexpose/underexpose? Example, I had a GX80 i used to shot in 40ss or 50ss on 24frames second. With my "anamorfake" Helios 58 with the blades removed, in daylight its way to light(its always wide open...)-nighttime/evening shots looks good tough.

My question is basically can you manually adjust/set: Underexposing/Overexposing?

Yes you can in ML Menu, not sure about the normal EOS M Menu. 

40 minutes ago, Nordee said:

Thanks a lot! Seems its time to get a Eos-M then. 

No problem. It's cheap as chips, you can't go wrong. I used to have a Panasonic G85, I'd choose the EOS M with ML any day of the week for my purposes. The EOS M2 is also developing with it's magic lantern capability, though not sure if it's fully ready as I haven't seen any examples anywhere. It has a little more Dynamic Range (11.4 vs 11.1 on the original M). Not a world of a difference though. 

For anyone who has used both the EOS M and 5Dii, what's the relative ISO capabilities when using Magic Lantern?

With the EOS M, I get lots of noise after 160-200. One of Andrew's articles made mention of noise at higher ISOs like 800 and 1600 (but that they added an attractive film-like grain).

Can the 5Dii keep a cleaner image at higher ISOs than the EOS M?