5K RAW 24p video for $150 - Magic Lantern making great strides on Canon EOS M

Andrew Reid

9 minutes ago, plucas said:

Thanks. I'll definitely try that dual ISO. 12-13 stops of DR is very appealing too.

I have wondered if there's something wrong with my copy of the EOS M because the noise is terrible indoors and without a lot of light. Hopefully it's user error.

Most other cameras are too. Nothing wrong with your copy. Are you using a speed booster? And what lens? I think the worst thing most people do is increase the ISO in dark situations instead of applying lighting (unless you have the A7S etc.). I use a Viltrox Mini LED Light indoors on a tripod to light one side of my face, whilst the other is lightened through natural window lighting (I'm no lighting pro, but it seems to work).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, ZEEK said:

Most other cameras are too. Nothing wrong with your copy. Are you using a speed booster? And what lens? I think the worst thing most people do is increase the ISO in dark situations instead of applying lighting (unless you have the A7S etc.). I use a Viltrox Mini LED Light indoors on a tripod to light one side of my face, whilst the other is lightened through natural window lighting (I'm no lighting pro, but it seems to work).

I've used the Viltrox EF-EOSM2 Speedbooster with a 50 1.8 STM and even at F1.2 and ISO 100, there was a lot of noise in a dimly lit room. Some is fine, of course - it adds that film-like grain.

Your footage here looks great though: 

Must re-try with at least one good source of light, perhaps also the dual-ISO option, and to bring down the shadows as you have in the clip above.

YouTube compression may have helped here as well. But in general, the results were pretty good and I was quite surprised considering the price of the camera. These days most people upscale or upload their videos in 4K to YouTube to avoid making their footage look like Minecraft from YouTube Compression, so even in 4K, the result was pretty clean. 

1 hour ago, plucas said:

I've used the Viltrox EF-EOSM2 Speedbooster with a 50 1.8 STM and even at F1.2 and ISO 100, there was a lot of noise in a dimly lit room. Some is fine, of course - it adds that film-like grain.

With ML Raw, you really need to expose to the right as much as possible. I don’t think a 1.2 lens at ISO 100 in a dimly lit room is enough light. 

With the 5D3, which is better in lowlight than the eos-m, I’ll be at ISO 400 in a well lit room with a 1.4 lens. In a dimly lit room, I’d be at 800 or 1600 ISO.

LOL : )

Add blur on PotPlayer can also help! : D

Not SNP policy on United Europe though! They are hope and a lighthouse for our civilization! ; ) Still optimistic nonsense won't prevail in the end of the road...

</OT rant over>

Just worried about our common future, long life to people united! (E : -)

• Administrators

You guys are getting this thing to sing.

I have tried it out as well. I find the full-sensor recording a bit messed-up, I think I might need to revise my workflow. The crop recording is good, but working with a very small sensor area.

I prefer the 70D at the moment... Found one for 200 euros used with a lens, high shutter count. It is now doing 14bit lossless compressed RAW with UHS card speed hack, full resolution no crop Super 35mm RAW at nearly 1920 x 1080. Damn thing looks like a Digital Bolex with Autofocus :)

I will continue to explore my EOS R and 70D, check the blog soon

20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

You guys are getting this thing to sing.

I have tried it out as well. I find the full-sensor recording a bit messed-up, I think I might need to revise my workflow. The crop recording is good, but working with a very small sensor area.

I prefer the 70D at the moment... Found one for 200 euros used with a lens, high shutter count. It is now doing 14bit lossless compressed RAW with UHS card speed hack, full resolution no crop Super 35mm RAW at nearly 1920 x 1080. Damn thing looks like a Digital Bolex with Autofocus :)

I will continue to explore my EOS R and 70D, check the blog soon

Loving the EOS M mostly due to its size and the ability to apply a Focal Reducer. Sold the 5DII. You can put the EOS M in one pocket and a C Mount Lens in the other lol.
But yeah the 70D is very nice indeed with that captivating Dual Pixel Autofocus alongside RAW (Gosh!). Not sure about the Aliasing with that camera though from what I've seen! Look forward to reading the blog! Cheers :)  

• Administrators

I'll do a comparison between the 5D II, 70D and EOS M.

In both full sensor and crop modes.

The EOS M sure is good for c-mount lenses.

Which exact download & branch of Magic Lantern are you guys using?

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'll do a comparison between the 5D II, 70D and EOS M.

In both full sensor and crop modes.

The EOS M sure is good for c-mount lenses.

Which exact download & branch of Magic Lantern are you guys using?

Cool! ? I don't get them straight from the ML Site as they're a bit "out-dated". Daniel Anderson uploads new updates regularly for certain ML Cameras, the link is here: https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/.

Hmmm... You guys have me thinking of once again using ML. Used it on the 5D Mark II. Your videos are stunning. Wow! I will be anxious to see a comparison between the EOS-M and 70D. Leaning more towards the 70D for better autofocus.

Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, ajay said:

Hmmm... You guys have me thinking of once again using ML. Used it on the 5D Mark II. Your videos are stunning. Wow! I will be anxious to see a comparison between the EOS-M and 70D. Leaning more towards the 70D for better autofocus.

Thoughts?

If you need AF Badly and a flip screen, the 70D would be the better choice. Personally, I'm a sucker for the EOS M. 

Just now, ZEEK said:

If you need AF Badly, the 70D would be the better choice. Personally, I'm a sucker for the EOS M. 

Thanks. I do a lot of wildlife video work and sometimes use it. Are their any tools available for manual focus on the M such as focus peaking?

3 minutes ago, ajay said:

Thanks. I do a lot of wildlife video work and sometimes use it. Are their any tools available for manual focus on the M such as focus peaking?

Focus peaking is not great. But there is magic zoom which creates a small, medium or large box depending on which you choose on the left or right side of the LV and it magnifies the focus for you. You can also enable live view sharpness which will sharpen the subject that you have in focus. I use it all the time and it works great, especially with an External LCD Viewfinder. 

36 minutes ago, ajay said:

Thoughts?

I think 7D is a better choice personally, unless you really want the AF.

• Administrators

Some 14bit lossless frames from my 70D. No sensor crop, full width Super 35mm. Continuous with SD UHS hack (approx. 50MB per sec)

M02-1631_000004b.jpg

M02-1659_000004b.jpg

M02-1642_000004b.jpg

It's very filmic.

No anti-aliasing filter used, just classic EF 28-70mm F2.8 with ND.

Digital Bolex with AF finally here!

58 minutes ago, tweak said:

I think 7D is a better choice personally, unless you really want the AF.

What are the advantages of the 7D?

One more...

Seems VAF isn't even really needed!

M02-1630_000004b.jpg

(all frame grabs exported from DNGs as upscaled 4K JPEGs)