5K RAW 24p video for $150 - Magic Lantern making great strides on Canon EOS M

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It depends what kind of AF. Tracking AF in video is not working. At least when in ML RAW modes. It's working in photo mode. But don't like it and don't use it.
However single shot AF is working in both photo and video including ML RAW. Single shot like: you press the button, camera focuses and signals when focus is achieved. It's kind of slow but it works and focus is reliable. In my settings different buttons are assigned for focusing and exposure metering. 

Here is how usually shoot no matter if AF or MF is used.  1. check/correct exposure settings 2. Frame 3. Focus 4.Start recording. It's a slow process but works reasonably well. This is not a camera for fast paced shooting. 

Settings in video are as follows: AF method - FlexiZoneAF square / Focus mode - AF+MF

7 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Nice! The pink highlights gave the EOS M away. But it can be fixed immediately in MLV App if the RAW White level is changed from the original "16200" to "15000". I also purchased the Orginal BMPCC for peanuts, though haven't used it much yet as I still need a few extra pieces of equipment (one being a "powerbank"). Few test footage looks quite nice though. 

48 minutes ago, ZEEK said:

Nice! The pink highlights gave the EOS M away. But it can be fixed immediately in MLV App if the RAW White level is changed from the original "16200" to "15000". I also purchased the Orginal BMPCC for peanuts, though haven't used it much yet as I still need a few extra pieces of equipment (one being a "powerbank"). Few test footage looks quite nice though. 

Love what you’re doing with the EOS-M, zeek! The Milvus/Samyang comparison was great. I look forward to your BMPCC videos!!

21 minutes ago, mercer said:

Love what you’re doing with the EOS-M, zeek! The Milvus/Samyang comparison was great. I look forward to your BMPCC videos!!

Thanks, Mercer, the Eos m raw can really shine if the RAW is manipulated properly, i'm still learning anyway. I'm really impressed with the bmpcc original as well. The proress HQ looks very close to RAW, and the RAW, when upscaled to 4K resolution in Davinci Resolve, looks quite close to the BMPCC 4K. Cheers! 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Are these full sensor width, or a heavy crop?

No heavy crop at all! The crop I believe is the typical canon EOS M crop x1.61. My Sigma 18-35mm looks really wide and with a Viltrox 0.71x speed booster, I can use between 24-35mm F1.2.

39 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Thanks a lot! :). Yeah, surprisingly enough, it was recorded at the resolution of 1736x976 before the upscale. Just shows how much information the RAW file contains. 

Zeek's film presents for the MLV App are great.

I think you need to over-expose without clipping highlights to achieve best results but, as said above, it holds a lot of detail.

I've found low light fliming tricky though because there's so much noise.

7 hours ago, plucas said:

Zeek's film presents for the MLV App are great.

I think you need to over-expose without clipping highlights to achieve best results but, as said above, it holds a lot of detail.

I've found low light fliming tricky though because there's so much noise.

Dual ISO 100/400 (I feel 100/800 is too aggressive) really helps heaps in tough situations and gets you 12.9-13 stops of DR. I haven't had any issues with Low light! Use a speed booster, keep ISO @100, and use a fast lens (at least f1.4 for the night). Cinema companies still use noise reduction software, so that can be included in the editing workflow if needed.