5K RAW 24p video for $150 - Magic Lantern making great strides on Canon EOS M

Andrew Reid

29 minutes ago, meudig said:

@Emanuel My experience coincide with what @Alpicat has mentioned above, with an addition to me having had similar problems with the crop mode as well, albeit perhaps in an older version of ML.

The problem of a stretched preview is easy to notice and all you have to do at that point is to reboot the camera and hope for it to be properly initialized. The crop and decentering can be harder to notice, but what you can do is to frame up your shots in regular video mode, before enabling ML - a method that works to combat decentering, but is a lot trickier regarding crop.

Is it quick to handle all that?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, meudig said:

The problem of a stretched preview is easy to notice and all you have to do at that point is to reboot the camera and hope for it to be properly initialized. 

I'm not sure I follow- I use the 1x3 binning mode all the time, and the stretched or off-center liveview can't be fixed by rebooting, it's just how it is in ML. Very hard to shoot with unless the camera is locked off and focus doesn't need to change.

4 hours ago, ZEEK said:

Agree. My favourite ML Fullframe camera is definitely the Canon 6D. The footage it produced was un-earthly, especially when paired with Zeiss lens. 

I just bought a few old Carl Zeiss lenses for Rollei QBM mount that I am obsessed with on my 5D3. Even the f/2.8 lenses have that creamy Zeiss bokeh. 

I didn’t realize the 6D ML was that good... do you think it would be a good B-Cam for a 5D3?

4 hours ago, meudig said:

@Brian Williams I very rarely get stretched preview, and when I do it's (seemingly) when the module doesn't load properly. If I reboot the camera/ML and reload the module it usually fixes it.

The off-center liveview seems more like a constant problem.

I guess it depends on what crop mode you are using... I've been using the (1504x1920) 1x3 binning mode pretty exclusively the past few weeks and the "realtime" preview (not "framing preview") is streched vertically in a big way. Pretty sure that is a just how it is with 1x3, restarting the camera doesn't change that.

5 hours ago, meudig said:

If I reboot the camera/ML and reload the module it usually fixes it.

I hope I don't need to wait for my camera unit paid and shipped today before someone here will kindly be answering me how long does it take? : -)

53 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

(...) I've been using the (1504x1920) 1x3 binning mode pretty exclusively the past few weeks and the "realtime" preview (not "framing preview") is streched vertically in a big way. Pretty sure that is a just how it is with 1x3 (...)

Does this mean can I count with real time preview? What a luxury... LOL Squeeze(d) lines are peanuts! : -D

After doing a lot of tests, I haven't got the hang of removing purple frames from 1x3 bining mode though I am really satisfied so far with the MV1080p where I barely have to stretch footage in post. The graphic is amazing so far. I used a 2x Anamorphic adapter to capture the frames using the settings below in Dannes latest build and the Canon EOS M. 

Crop Mode: MV1080p 1736x1158
Bitrate - 10bit
Ratios - OFF

RAW Video:
Resolution: 1736x1158
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Data Format - 14Bit Lossless

Also, no aliasing or purple frames (at least for now)
2x Anamorphic Adapter + SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4  @f2.4

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 1.19.31 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 1.21.33 pm.png

8 minutes ago, ZEEK said:

After doing a lot of tests, I haven't got the hang of removing purple frames from 1x3 bining mode though I am really satisfied so far with the MV1080p where I barely have to stretch footage in post. The graphic is amazing so far. I used a 2x Anamorphic adapter to capture the frames using the settings below in Dannes latest build. 

Crop Mode: MV1080p 1736x1158
Bitrate - 10bit
Ratios - OFF

RAW Video:
Resolution: 1736x1158
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Data Format - 14Bit Lossless

Also, no aliasing or purple frames (at least for now)
2x Anamorphic Adapter + SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4  @f2.4

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 1.19.31 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 1.21.33 pm.png

This is awesome.

I haven't been successful with Danne's built - for I don't know exactly what I'm doing.  Who knew that Canon's EOS-M is right up there with the big boys.

::thumbs up::

11 hours ago, mercer said:

I just bought a few old Carl Zeiss lenses for Rollei QBM mount that I am obsessed with on my 5D3. Even the f/2.8 lenses have that creamy Zeiss bokeh. 

I didn’t realize the 6D ML was that good... do you think it would be a good B-Cam for a 5D3?

Zeiss color rendering I think goes hand in hand with Canon ML Raw. I used to have a Sony A6300 which I sold to keep the EOS M instead, and the Zeiss lenses were never as good as they were on my old 5DII, III and 6D.
I think the 6D is a great B-Cam, producing in my opinion (ARRI Like footage) when paired with Zeiss lenses. I'm not sure what the builds are like now on the 6D though. 

13 hours ago, ZEEK said:

Zeiss color rendering I think goes hand in hand with Canon ML Raw. I used to have a Sony A6300 which I sold to keep the EOS M instead, and the Zeiss lenses were never as good as they were on my old 5DII, III and 6D.
I think the 6D is a great B-Cam, producing in my opinion (ARRI Like footage) when paired with Zeiss lenses. I'm not sure what the builds are like now on the 6D though. 

Other than my Canon lenses and a few oddballs, I have a very small set of Nikkor ai-s lenses and the Zeiss. I particularly like the cooler rendering of the Zeiss glass with ML Raw and can see that Arri look you’re referring to. I just bought them a couple of weeks ago, so I’m looking forward to messing with them more. 

Which 2x Anamorphic did you use in those shots... that’s a wicked image. I know very little about anamorphics but I always thought a Yashicascope could be an interesting pairing with the eos-m in crop mode... but they seem hard to come by. 

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Other than my Canon lenses and a few oddballs, I have a very small set of Nikkor ai-s lenses and the Zeiss. I particularly like the cooler rendering of the Zeiss glass with ML Raw and can see that Arri look you’re referring to. I just bought them a couple of weeks ago, so I’m looking forward to messing with them more. 

Which 2x Anamorphic did you use in those shots... that’s a wicked image. I know very little about anamorphics but I always thought a Yashicascope could be an interesting pairing with the eos-m in crop mode... but they seem hard to come by. 

Yeah nikkors are not bad, but when compared with Zeiss lens, something inside tells you that the Zeiss has something special. Even when I apply LUTs, it's like the Zeiss increases the Bit Depth lol and allows every color in the footage to be touched. 

Anyway, I used to use an EIKI 16F 2X adapter for a long time which was decent enough, but in the sample footage I used with the Takumar the Proskar Ishico 2X Anamorphic Adapter. I used to have one of these a while back but the focusing was so stiff. So this new one was in a good nick. Also, no dioptor used. I think I could get as close as 2 and a half feet with a sharp image. As for flaring, I haven't tested that yet as the taking lens is Super-Multi-Coated.

39 minutes ago, ZEEK said:

Yeah nikkors are not bad, but when compared with Zeiss lens, something inside tells you that the Zeiss has something special. Even when I apply LUTs, it's like the Zeiss increases the Bit Depth lol and allows every color in the footage to be touched. 

I know what you mean. I love my Nikkors but there is just something different about the Zeiss. Out of curiosity, I just did a search to see what the Zeiss 50mm 1.8 looks like on other cameras and I found an older video of it on the GH3 and it just didn’t have that Zeiss POP that I am seeing with it on my 5D3... maybe Zeiss and ML are the perfect marriage... good observation. 

18 minutes ago, mercer said:

I know what you mean. I love my Nikkors but there is just something different about the Zeiss. Out of curiosity, I just did a search to see what the Zeiss 50mm 1.8 looks like on other cameras and I found an older video of it on the GH3 and it just didn’t have that Zeiss POP that I am seeing with it on my 5D3... maybe Zeiss and ML are the perfect marriage... good observation. 

I think 8 bit and Zeiss struggle together (Except for photos, when shooting RAW).  

1 hour ago, ZEEK said:

I had Zeiss lenses with the Sony A6300 and the Panasonic G85 and they never looked as good as when I would use them with ML RAW. 

No lens will look as good as with MLRaw ;) . My Canon FDs look good on GH5, but they look amazing with MLRaw.

Maybe these older lenses just look nicer when you have a fuller colour spectrum, having 8-bit you loose a lot of that at which point you probably only focus on their short comings as vintage lenses (or at least rank them more in the sharpness/distortion category).

2 minutes ago, tweak said:

No lens will look as good as with MLRaw ;) . My Canon FDs look good on GH5, but they look amazing with MLRaw.

Maybe these older lenses just look nicer when you have a fuller colour spectrum, having 8-bit you loose a lot of that at which point you probably only focus on their short comings as vintage lenses (or at least rank them more in the sharpness/distortion category).

Indeed : ) You choose the tools, you choose the outcome. The proof is invariably in the pudding... (E : -)

10 minutes ago, tweak said:

Agree 100% Even a kit Lens will look cinematic with Raw Video.

11 minutes ago, tweak said:

makes sense!