5K RAW 24p video for $150 - Magic Lantern making great strides on Canon EOS M

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/18/2019 at 10:32 PM, Nikkor said:

It's not a real speedbooster but some chinese crap, the first copy that came out that had bad coatings and gives a blue point in the center when shooting against the sun. The only way to have a good speedbooster on the eos m is to modify a e mount speedbooster and combine it with a ef-efm adapter, this will give you full ef compatibility. They made some of those hacks in Korea, not shure if they still do it.

To be honest, I know what you mean about the quality and the coating. I've experienced the flaws with the M43 version, though this cheap one for the EOS M has been producing great results. I think the Vignette you mention is from the cheap ND Filter I was using (the Zomei), but nonetheless, it could also be a typical wide open aperture thing. Also, great news with the new build. Looks very promising for Magic Lantern users. Cheers! 

7 hours ago, ZEEK said:

To be honest, I know what you mean about the quality and the coating. I've experienced the flaws with the M43 version, though this cheap one for the EOS M has been producing great results. I think the Vignette you mention is from the cheap ND Filter I was using (the Zomei), but nonetheless, it could also be a typical wide open aperture thing. Also, great news with the new build. Looks very promising for Magic Lantern users. Cheers! 

Welcome to the forum, ZEEK!
It's nice to have you here.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:31 PM, ZEEK said:

Why don't you variably shoot with 1x3 binning mode as well?

It's incredible how much progress has been made on the EOS M in the last few months! I've tried several builds with the 1x3 binning setting but was getting corrupt footage every time, until today - with Danne's latest build I'm finally getting good results in this mode. The max res in 1x3 seems to be 1184x2000 in this build (which stretches out to 3552x2000) - I'm getting continuous shooting in 14-bit lossless. As @Brian Williams mentioned the rolling shutter is really pronounced though, and there's noticeable fixed pattern noise in the shadow areas which I hadn't seen this camera do before. Don't know if these things can be improved in future builds.

21 minutes ago, Alpicat said:

It's incredible how much progress has been made on the EOS M in the last few months! I've tried several builds with the 1x3 binning setting but was getting corrupt footage every time, until today - with Danne's latest build I'm finally getting good results in this mode. The max res in 1x3 seems to be 1184x2000 in this build (which stretches out to 3552x2000) - I'm getting continuous shooting in 14-bit lossless. As @Brian Williams mentioned the rolling shutter is really pronounced though, and there's noticeable fixed pattern noise in the shadow areas which I hadn't seen this camera do before. Don't know if these things can be improved in future builds.

What about 1504x1920? Not continuous without dropped frames?

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Why don't you variably shoot with 1x3 binning mode as well?

I have tried it out, but am not having luck so far with the live view and the purple frames. I will give it more time and see how everyone is doing with it. But it definitely looks like a great step forward, although I am quite happy with the build I am using now. 

2 hours ago, Alpicat said:

Great News Aplicat! 

8 hours ago, Emanuel said:

What about 1504x1920? Not continuous without dropped frames?

With the latest build Danne posted the max resolution that I can set is 1184x2000 (i.e. 3552x2000) in 1x3 mode - I don't know why, maybe beyond that it becomes too unstable and he set that limit, or maybe I'm doing something wrong - but for me it's a nice resolution, it comes out exactly as 16:9 aspect ratio.

11 minutes ago, Alpicat said:

With the latest build Danne posted the max resolution that I can set is 1184x2000 (i.e. 3552x2000) in 1x3 mode - I don't know why, maybe beyond that it becomes too unstable and he set that limit, or maybe I'm doing something wrong - but for me it's a nice resolution, it comes out exactly as 16:9 aspect ratio.

When you use the ratio presets it reduces resolution. Danne went for resolutions that  are stable. If you turn off the ratio setting in the crop module it will record full resolution.

3 hours ago, Nikkor said:

When you use the ratio presets it reduces resolution. Danne went for resolutions that  are stable. If you turn off the ratio setting in the crop module it will record full resolution.

That makes sense, thanks for letting me know! I've tried the 2.35:1 ratio preset recording at 1504x1920 but I'm getting quite a few pink frames unfortunately. 

29 minutes ago, Alpicat said:

That makes sense, thanks for letting me know! I've tried the 2.35:1 ratio preset recording at 1504x1920 but I'm getting quite a few pink frames unfortunately. 

I'm getting pinkframes when the buffer is running low and that usually happens when a lot of highlights are in the scene because data increases a lot.

3 hours ago, Nikkor said:

I'm getting pinkframes when the buffer is running low and that usually happens when a lot of highlights are in the scene because data increases a lot.

So no highlights or under control underexposing a bit, no pinkframes?

The same using ratio presets?

What's the percentage average you get with along of usable footage you are able to find in the end going on 1504x1920 1x3 binning mode?

And what's the safest highest resolution for 2.35:1 continuous 24p or 25p?

4 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

So no highlights or under control underexposing a bit, no pinkframes?

What's the percentage average you get with along of usable footage you are able to find in the end going on 1504x1920 1x3 binning mode?

And what's the safest highest resolution for 2.35:1 continuous 24p or 25p?

The safest is to try oneself, I would rather shoot lower res than to underexpose, because the little camera gives bad colors,etc.. when underexposed. But the RS is so bad, you don't want to use this for anything other than static landscape shots. I think it's a good alternative for when the standard 3x3 binning mode struggles with aliasing (landscape shots)

Btw, could anyone share a compiled MLV version, I can't compile it and the latest official compiled exe doesn't have the stretch options to oversample. Thanks!!! Windows and/or Mac OSX

18 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

The safest is to try oneself, I would rather shoot lower res than to underexpose, because the little camera gives bad colors,etc.. when underexposed. But the RS is so bad, you don't want to use this for anything other than static landscape shots. I think it's a good alternative for when the standard 3x3 binning mode struggles with aliasing (landscape shots)

Nothing against static shots... : ) As matter of fact, as purist, bothers me unmotivated camera movement to be rather straightforward here. I can't avoid to often add frequent rolleyes with the most part of footage seen today. It is what it is though : -)

What about those pinkframes? Is the usable percentage of footage so bad going with high resolution pixel binning? I'd like to hear a stable setup resolution for. From your side, EOS M ML users.