5K RAW 24p video for $150 - Magic Lantern making great strides on Canon EOS M

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

So I managed to record 2.35:1 on 10bit with 1500x1920 continuous!!! which results in 4500x1920 I have no idea how audio works, will have to look into it. The rolling shutter is bad... Don't have anything to compare to right now.

Lol, this little crappy camera is crazy.

Is there any crop involved?

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

Can you judge framing at all or is it way off?

In my experience, I lose about 1/3rd of the top of the image which I instead gain in the bottom of the frame. Meaning; what I perceived to be the center of the image in the live view is in actuality 1/3rd lower. If that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, meudig said:

In my experience, I lose about 1/3rd of the top of the image which I instead gain in the bottom of the frame. Meaning; what I perceived to be the center of the image in the live view is in actuality 1/3rd lower. If that makes sense.

Thanks! Is that with the eos-m or do you use the 5D3 experimental build? I think I want to give that a test this week to try and get 2.7/3K out of it... but I’ll also load this onto my eos-m and try a side by side for the fun of it. 

Also... with these experimental builds in ML, are the basic 14bit settings the same as the stable nightly builds? Meaning: can I have the experimental builds but use the old school build with everything else disabled?

3 minutes ago, meudig said:

@mercer

That's with the eos-m. I've been thinking about getting a 5D3 though, but have yet to find a decent enough deal over here.

The 1x3 binning mode must be pretty impressive on the 5Dmkiii, but I can't find any info on the ml forum, do you know if it works? and at which resolutions?

I've also tried 1:1 4032x2268 Crop mode which is basically m43 sensor area. With 10bit it's continous, with global draw on it will give a black and white preview for accurate framing while recording. Pretty impressive, I thought 2k was amazing back in the 50d times, but this...

Andrew Reid would write: MAGIC LANTERN UNLOCKS POKET4K QUALITY RAW VIDEO IN A 50$ 5 years old canon body.

31 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Also better for focusing too. 

Any chance you could share a clip with this setting? Seems like the most usable if it has accurate live view. 

I will record something tomorrow. But the preview is pixelated, you can't really focus with that. Before recording you can activate a better mode that lags a lot but gives a real quality preview, so if you are fine with focusing before the shot...

Update: Ok, it was too good to be true, the 4K cropped mode 1:1 is 9fps ?

11 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Lovely family and outcome : ) What glass setup?

I’m using the 7artisans 35 1.2 for Eos-m, super small setup and pretty awesome lens for the price. Though I think I’m going to get the Viltrox adaptor and Tamron 45mm for the stabilization. 

3 hours ago, heart0less said:

Looks good, Brian. Really demanding shots in terms of lighting, but you did a great job.

Is rolling shutter any better in 3x3 mode, guys?

I can say that the rolling shutter is a lot better in the 3x3 mode... in 3x3 mode (1736x1158) the rs shows a percentage of 57% (however that translates), whereas 1x3 mode (1504x1920) shows 84%.

It seems to get better the lower the resolution, which makes sense of course.