5K RAW 24p video for $150 - Magic Lantern making great strides on Canon EOS M

Andrew Reid

1 minute ago, Nikkor said:

There are some radioaktive takumars, but I don't know if the one in the Video is one of them.I have that chinese  speedbooster and it makes those blurry corners, specially if infinity is not set correctly.

ow ok, I kinda dig those blurry corners ^^. which one is it exactly? I only own the metabones MFT - EF XL 0.64. Then again I probably wont buy a eos m, waiting on the 5D IV. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
40 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

ow ok, I kinda dig those blurry corners ^^. which one is it exactly? I only own the metabones MFT - EF XL 0.64. Then again I probably wont buy a eos m, waiting on the 5D IV. 

It's not a real speedbooster but some chinese crap, the first copy that came out that had bad coatings and gives a blue point in the center when shooting against the sun. The only way to have a good speedbooster on the eos m is to modify a e mount speedbooster and combine it with a ef-efm adapter, this will give you full ef compatibility. They made some of those hacks in Korea, not shure if they still do it.

8 hours ago, Nikkor said:

It's not a real speedbooster but some chinese crap, the first copy that came out that had bad coatings and gives a blue point in the center when shooting against the sun. The only way to have a good speedbooster on the eos m is to modify a e mount speedbooster and combine it with a ef-efm adapter, this will give you full ef compatibility. They made some of those hacks in Korea, not shure if they still do it.

Actually Viltrox finally released their AF speedbooster for the M. I have it and it works as well as any of their other speedboosters and does not have any of the terrible blue dots and flaring that the chinese one you mentioned (I had that one briefly and immediately got rid of it). 

On 1/15/2019 at 10:19 AM, kye said:

I think those are the Focus Pixels?  If so, MLVApp removes them when you process the footage - it's a tick-box.

Andrew wasn't kidding about MLVApp being a pretty cool piece of software - it is super easy to use and has so many features it's starting to look like using Adobe Lightroom!

Being an ML Raw shooter, I can say that the MLVApp is pretty awesome and I think I have an older version. The LogC curve conversion alone is worth its weight in gold in my opinion.

12 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah that does look great. Honestly it looks better then most 3K mirrorless camera's. That takumar lens does have a great look, Gonna get one. 

It’s pretty insane what is possible with the basic nightly builds of ML Raw. I’ve never tried any type of uprezzing but after seeing that video, I am definitely intrigued. I think even a simple 1080p to 2.5K could be a nice POP.

Takumars are great lenses and are so cheap. Some have the radioactive yellowing issue, so be diligent about what you buy. Pentax made a replacement line of SMC lenses in the K Mount shortly after the Takumars and what’s interesting about them is that they used the same optical formulas without the Thorium glass, so the same 50mm 1.4 doesn’t have the yellowing issues that the Takumar has. 

On 1/17/2019 at 8:30 AM, mercer said:

That does look pretty good... crazy thing is that this wasn’t shot in the experimental 4K modes... it was just the regular 14bit ML Raw and he uprezzed it to 4K for YouTube. It fooled me while I watched it. 

It looks like HD though, not 4K. Not detailed enough.

3 minutes ago, Mokara said:

Sarcasm aside, it doesn't change the fact that it looks like HD.

Sorry, I was just joking around and yes I guess it isn’t as detailed as a 4K Raw video might look but that wasn’t my first takeaway from the video.

I guess I’m in the middle of deciding how important 4K video is to my needs right now and I keep coming back to the same answer... 9 out of 10 times, 1080p has more than enough resolution for my needs. In a lot of ways, I think lens choices are more important than resolution. YMMV.

24 minutes ago, mercer said:

Sorry, I was just joking around and yes I guess it isn’t as detailed as a 4K Raw video might look but that wasn’t my first takeaway from the video.

I guess I’m in the middle of deciding how important 4K video is to my needs right now and I keep coming back to the same answer... 9 out of 10 times, 1080p has more than enough resolution for my needs. In a lot of ways, I think lens choices are more important than resolution. YMMV.

High resolution seems useful for sports and wildlife where cropping can be useful or VFX stuff. As far as work goes I don't know how often it is a requirement. 

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

It looks like HD though, not 4K. Not detailed enough.

He mentions in the YT comments the ML settings he used,  3x3 mv1080, which I've used before on this camera... The highest resolution comes out to something like 1736x1120... So HD one way and almost HD the other way. Unless he picked a different aspect ratio, but either way it's never full HD.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Remember that the only way to get 1080 444 is to read the sensor at 4K and downres.  ML RAW is great because it's RAW, but 4K RAW would be better, even for publishing in 1080.

39 minutes ago, kye said:

Remember that the only way to get 1080 444 is to read the sensor at 4K and downres.  ML RAW is great because it's RAW, but 4K RAW would be better, even for publishing in 1080.

Honestly, I don’t care about stuff like that. Arri uses 2.7K in the Alexa to downscale to Cinema 2K. I was joking around before in my reply but the sentiment was true. As you recently mentioned somewhere... John Brawley was shooting 1080p ProRes with the Micro and UMP for his network prime time television show. If 4K is important to other shooters, then that’s great, but for my needs... better people than me are delivering at 720p.

However, my next goal is to figure out how I can get a clean liveview out of the 5D3 at around 2.5K. I believe you can do it with anamorphic but I don’t know if it’s possible with the regular build or with 12bit MLV Lite With aspherical lenses. 

Yeah but what John Brawley does is because they can't archive all that stuff in 4k. They generate too much footage an episode. You don't shoot enough to worry about that problem. Jesus it's 2019. Kick it up a notch like Emeril Lagasse says. Hell you might get famous down the road and be stuck with a bunch of 720 stuff.  O the Horror! ?

36 minutes ago, mercer said:

Honestly, I don’t care about stuff like that. Arri uses 2.7K in the Alexa to downscale to Cinema 2K. I was joking around before in my reply but the sentiment was true. As you recently mentioned somewhere... John Brawley was shooting 1080p ProRes with the Micro and UMP for his network prime time television show. If 4K is important to other shooters, then that’s great, but for my needs... better people than me are delivering at 720p.

However, my next goal is to figure out how I can get a clean liveview out of the 5D3 at around 2.5K. I believe you can do it with anamorphic but I don’t know if it’s possible with the regular build or with 12bit MLV Lite With aspherical lenses. 

Yeah, fair enough.  The difference between 444 and 422 is real but small, especially since our vision does edge detection based on luminance not hue, so having less resolution for colour information isn't as noticed as luma resolution.

Ultimately the best setup would be a setup that took the full sensor readout, debayered it, downscaled it to 1080, then saved it in a HQ or uncompressed codec.  That would give the best image possible with the benefits of the smaller file sizes.  Imagine if the next models of hybrids plus external recorders could read 8K resolution and save it to Prores 4444 12-bit.  4444 UHD has the same bitrate as RAW 1080, and 4444 HD has slightly less bitrate than RAW 720.  That would mean that for the same file sizes you'd get basically the cleanest and highest resolution possible, smooth-like-butter editing, affordable media, and have a rig that was still quite portable - especially if they made the external recorder available in the Atomos Ninja Star form-factor!

Ah, dreaming :)

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

What's the highest resolution you can record continuously? How's the rolling shutter in that setting? Does it also record audio from a mic?

So I managed to record 2.35:1 on 10bit with 1500x1920 continuous!!! which results in 4500x1920 I have no idea how audio works, will have to look into it. The rolling shutter is bad... Don't have anything to compare to right now.

Lol, this little crappy camera is crazy.

1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

So I managed to record 2.35:1 on 10bit with 1500x1920 continuous!!! which results in 4500x1920 I have no idea how audio works, will have to look into it. The rolling shutter is bad... Don't have anything to compare to right now.

Lol, this little crappy camera is crazy.

What build?

17 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

What build?

Latest Danne thing

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

You need SD hacks turned on, and in the crop menu you have to choose 1x3 mode, 10bit and 2.35 crop Works continuous. Can't really judge the sharpness because the only adapter I have is that crappy chinese speedbooster, but it looks very cinematic. I think the detail level is something around 2.5-2K without binning artifacts you usually get with 2K raw from the 5D.

M20-1653_frame_1.jpg

M20-1838_frame_28.jpg