M43 not dead Panasonic S1

thebrothersthre3

I think Both Panasonic and Olympus screwed themselves with the pricing of the GH5, GH5s, EAM1 mk II. Hell you can buy a FF Sony a7 III for the same or less. Now you can buy the Z6, EOS-R, XT3 for the same or less. They have shot themselves in the foot big time. And now this A6400. I really do think m4/3 is in big trouble.

Even if you bring out a GH6 for 1500 bucks it pisses off all the people that bought the GH5, GH5s. They can't win now. Not with this A6400, X-T3, PK4 out. And that  is not counting this new Panasonic S1 FF line. The lower one can't cost more than 2500 bucks or they are screwed right out of the box. So what, they going to charge 2500 bucks for a GH6?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
40 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think Both Panasonic and Olympus screwed themselves with the pricing of the GH5, GH5s, EAM1 mk II. Hell you can buy a FF Sony a7 III for the same or less. Now you can buy the Z6, EOS-R, XT3 for the same or less. They have shot themselves in the foot big time. And now this A6400. I really do think m4/3 is in big trouble.

Even if you bring out a GH6 for 1500 bucks it pisses off all the people that bought the GH5, GH5s. They can't win now. Not with this A6400, X-T3, PK4 out. And that  is not counting this new Panasonic S1 FF line. The lower one can't cost more than 2500 bucks or they are screwed right out of the box. So what, they going to charge 2500 bucks for a GH6?

I almost picked up the a7iii for $1,500. It wasn't that interesting

I think Panasonic will keep their MFT GH-line to push out awesome video specs before anyone else (like they did with GH5's 10-bit 4K, and 60fps 4K). Then they'll trickle up to their full-frame cameras a couple of years later.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a late 2019 GH6 with 12-bit 4K internal raw (perhaps BM Raw, since it is open), 120 fps 4K, and maybe even a higher resolution like 6k or 8k at 30p.

Also, they may just go all in on the video front and throw in the one thing I'm waiting for: an internal variable ND. Please? someone? 

8 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

I think Panasonic will keep their MFT GH-line to push out awesome video specs before anyone else (like they did with GH5's 10-bit 4K, and 60fps 4K). Then they'll trickle up to their full-frame cameras a couple of years later.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a late 2019 GH6 with 12-bit 4K internal raw (perhaps BM Raw, since it is open), 120 fps 4K, and maybe even a higher resolution like 6k or 8k at 30p.

Also, they may just go all in on the video front and throw in the one thing I'm waiting for: an internal variable ND. Please? someone? 

How about going all in with PDAF ?

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

As a GH5 owner, I'm winning all the time.

I see people all bitching about newer cameras and I just sit back and relax, I see newer features on cameras that I think might be cool and then I remember how it feels to look at your footage and be reminded of film, to see people grading UMP / RED / Alexa footage and then grade the 10-bit HLG and have it feel the same.  To read about 8K and think about how that will be true 4K footage and not feel like somehow your equipment isn't good enough any more.

When someone develops a LUT pack to match with the Alexa and have the best colourist on YT (Juan Melara) comment "This is actually really impressive. Top work!" and I know that I can get the Alexa look with any of my footage if I want to.

The GH6 could be $1 and have 8K 16-bit RAW with integrated drone and I wouldn't feel bad about my GH5 at all.  My only stress now is buying lenses - there are so many and I want to have all of them!

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I don't think that's the case at all. $2000 for the GH5 two years ago was a steal. And frankly it still is able to do stuff all in one package that no other camera can do on the market in its price range. 

It's really not fair to compare the A7iii to the GH5 because it can't compete with all of the GH5's features. The A7iii is a great camera but it lacks so many features of the GH5 and isn't a true alternative. If you're only going by sensor size you're missing the bigger point. The A7iii was/is a great value, but it doesn't have all of the film making features that the GH5 and no matter how big of a sensor you have, that's not gonna make up for missing them. 

1 hour ago, kye said:

As a GH5 owner, I'm winning all the time.

I see people all bitching about newer cameras and I just sit back and relax, I see newer features on cameras that I think might be cool and then I remember how it feels to look at your footage and be reminded of film, to see people grading UMP / RED / Alexa footage and then grade the 10-bit HLG and have it feel the same.  To read about 8K and think about how that will be true 4K footage and not feel like somehow your equipment isn't good enough any more.

When someone develops a LUT pack to match with the Alexa and have the best colourist on YT (Juan Melara) comment "This is actually really impressive. Top work!" and I know that I can get the Alexa look with any of my footage if I want to.

The GH6 could be $1 and have 8K 16-bit RAW with integrated drone and I wouldn't feel bad about my GH5 at all.  My only stress now is buying lenses - there are so many and I want to have all of them!

That is very true. For a lot of work the GH5 is perfect and will be for a long time.

22 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I don't think that's the case at all. $2000 for the GH5 two years ago was a steal. And frankly it still is able to do stuff all in one package that no other camera can do on the market in its price range. 

It's really not fair to compare the A7iii to the GH5 because it can't compete with all of the GH5's features. The A7iii is a great camera but it lacks so many features of the GH5 and isn't a true alternative. If you're only going by sensor size you're missing the bigger point. The A7iii was/is a great value, but it doesn't have all of the film making features that the GH5 and no matter how big of a sensor you have, that's not gonna make up for missing them. 

You know, part of me wants to sell off almost everything I own and buy a GH5s, a speedbooster, a simple set of 3 vintage lenses and a Ronin.

Then spend a ton of time taking color grading courses learning to grade VLog.

The GH series cameras are the safest camera purchase on the market. 

54 minutes ago, mercer said:

You know, part of me wants to sell off almost everything I own and buy a GH5s, a speedbooster, a simple set of 3 vintage lenses and a Ronin.

I like that idea. But you will change your mind even after you have it, you know you will, I Know you will LoL.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

It's a camera that will still be a relevant and powerful tool 5 years from now. Until 8K becomes the standard you've pretty much got everything you need. They're absolute work horses. Better auto focus would be welcomed obviously but I find it to be adequate, and I really don't care about sensor sizes given the results I'm able to get. People have become too obsessed with sensor size; I've never had a client ask about sensor size, just resolution, and they've been blown away by the 4K and 1080p the GH5 provides.

Interesting data on the crop factors of the GH5s. From https://www.43rumors.com/exact-crop-factors-caluclated-new-gh5s-multiaspect-sensor/

3680 pixel long in 4/3 = 2x crop factor in 4/3 still mode

3840 pixel long in 3/2 = 1.91x crop factor in 3/2 still mode

4016 pixel long in 16/9 = 1.32x crop factor in 16/9 still mode

4096 pixel long in 17/9 = 1.796x crop factor in 17/9 (DCI 4K) video mode

3840 pixel long in 3/2 = 1.91x crop factor in 16/9 4K UHD video mode.

35mm means 3680×3680 = 7360 pixel long or 1x crop factor

If you add a Speed Booster Ultra to the GH5s you get in DCI 4K a crop factor of 1.275x with 35mm lenses.

If you add a Speed Booster XL to the GH5s you get in DCI 4K a crop factor of 1.149x with 35mm lenses.

24 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I like that idea. But you will change your mind even after you have it, you know you will, I Know you will LoL.

I think this is always a risk, however I found it liberating to make a choice and invest in it. Has there been cameras that have come along and piqued my interest. Absolutely! But when I weigh all the options I find overall I'm very satisfied with what I have, and have become better at my job. The GH5 has been a tool that can be used successfully in every situation I've thrown at it, from your standard corporate work to the fast paced action of pro wrestling. That versatility is priceless. Just thinking about it I cringe at the thought of using Sony mirrorless for pro wrestling, with all the rolling shutter! ?

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Interesting data on the crop factors of the GH5s.

3680 pixel long in 4/3 = 2x crop factor in 4/3 still mode

3840 pixel long in 3/2 = 1.91x crop factor in 3/2 still mode

4016 pixel long in 16/9 = 1.32x crop factor in 16/9 still mode

4096 pixel long in 17/9 = 1.796x crop factor in 17/9 (DCI 4K) video mode

3840 pixel long in 3/2 = 1.91x crop factor in 16/9 4K UHD video mode.

35mm means 3680×3680 = 7360 pixel long or 1x crop factor

If you add a Speed Booster Ultra to the GH5s you get in DCI 4K a crop factor of 1.275x with 35mm lenses.

If you add a Speed Booster XL to the GH5s you get in DCI 4K a crop factor of 1.149x with 35mm lenses.

The speedbooster on the GH5 and GH5S can do incredible things. Caleb Pike did some videos about it with the GH5S. It's pretty wild. 

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I thought you owned a a7III?

I've owned and sold too many cameras in the past year. I settled on the 80D with the 18-35, 50, and 85. It's a decent hybrid camera that complements my ENG cam as a B-Cam. I always buy used from Craigslist or from the local camera shop. I sold two A7iiis! Haha. The Z6 was fun!