Sony & Samsung 48MP sensors arrived...

Emanuel

4 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

One big benefit of these high MP sensors is the extra pixels available for EIS. Xiaomi Mi 9 and 9T are amazing in that regard:

I would really like to see it compared to Osmo Pocket. Also, bring these new sensors to DJI product and improve stabilization eve more.

Sony Semicon/Samsung has licensing restrictions that those sensors are to be used in mobile phones only.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am really disappointed that Sony still hasn't produced an RX smartphone like the CM1. Customers are on a longer upgrade cycle, so they could have it as a flagship for a longer period nowadays. Photography enthusiasts basically have no options but to argue about the same few tiny Sony sensors in an ocean of different bodies and different post processing.

On 8/7/2019 at 4:05 PM, androidlad said:

Current info is that the pixel size is 0.61um, so the sensor size for the 108MP SKU is 1/1.7"

Samsung seems to have Finally revealed details of its latest 108MP sensor. The Pixel size is 0.8um (luckily), so the sensor is a 1/1.33" sensor, and it also seems to have some tricks for better lowlight photography including atleast dual ISO. I am guessing Samsung will disclose more details of the sensor in installments and hopefully we see a lot of newer sensor technologies in this.

"In bright environments, the Smart-ISO, a mechanism that intelligently selects the level of amplifier gains according to the illumination of the environment for optimal light-to-electric signal conversion, switches to a low ISO to improve pixel saturation and produce vivid photographs. The mechanism uses a high ISO in darker settings that helps reduce noise, resulting in clearer pictures."

It also does 6k video (I was hoping it does 8k, but most systems may not be able to process that much data).

"For advanced filming, the HMX supports video recording without losses in field-of-view at resolutions up to 6K (6016 x 3384) 30-frames-per-second (fps)."

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-takes-mobile-photography-to-the-next-level-with-industrys-first-108mp-image-sensor-for-smartphones

10 hours ago, sanveer said:

without losses in field-of-view at resolutions up to 6K (6016 x 3384) 30-frames-per-second (fps).

Which means the sensor does Full 108MP at 30fps. Which is impressive. Hopefully they have some insane HDR modes and much better detail and sharper image. Also, I hope the higher of the dual ISOs is pretty high (ISO3200?), so that the low light is impressive. Smartphones have been getting better, but the 12MP sensors was boring everyone. Hopefully 27MP photos from this 108MP sensor are truly amazing, maybe even worthy of being printed into some nice large sizes.

• 1 month later...