Sony & Samsung 48MP sensors arrived...

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

And soon coming in m43 flavour..

i m definitely interested on the redmi note 7, for $150 it is really good price, just wondering how much difference in terms of performance is there between Samsung & Sony sensor ?

My 'guess' would be very little difference. Samsung has been interchanging image sensors between its own and Sony's on its Sx smartphone series for years without anyone really noticing or finding very much of a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

The only downside that I can think of now is that if pixel binning is done by the CPU itself it would limit the ability of phones to offer 4K at 60p.

Maybe that's an incentive to not downscale.. Assuming that the compression is done in hardware maybe it's easier to just output 8K?

On 1/12/2019 at 4:45 PM, Robert Collins said:

My 'guess' would be very little difference. Samsung has been interchanging image sensors between its own and Sony's on its Sx smartphone series for years without anyone really noticing or finding very much of a difference.

That is because those "Sony" sensors are the exact same design as the Samsung versions (Samsung designed them). All Sony are doing is manufacturing some of them under contract for Samsung in order make up the excess units required at launch. Because they are not being made by Samsung, they have a Sony part number. That is the extent of the difference.

This is common in manufacturing (it is called supply management). If your own facility normally produces X units of something per year, and you need X+Y primarily during a certain period on launch, then you pay some other manufacturer to make Y for you. You give them the design and they make it. It is exactly the same as X, it is just made by someone else.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/9/2019 at 12:01 PM, JurijTurnsek said:

Good news everybody, Samsung will offer a 64mpx sensor that keeps the binned 1.6miron pixels and is therefore even bigger than the 48mpx model (coming in second half of 2019):

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-64mp-camera-984389/

Samsung seems to be finally on a roll with some great sensors on the pipeline. 

34 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Samsung will present a 100MP 1/2" sensor at IISW 2019.

Wow. That would be one monster. Somehow the 1inch sensor doesn't appeal to me much, because the size seems to be difficult to handle. The pixel size on the 100MP is even smaller than presently (.61μm pixel vs .80μm pixel size), though if the GM1 is any indication, it should handle 25MP photos like a boss.