Nikon Z6 + Ninja V vs Blackmagic Pocket 4k

andrgl

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, androidlad said:

The resolution could very likely be higher than 4K. As the camera has to send 6K Bayer data to Ninja V, then it's subsampled to lower resolution.

Totally agree. I'm going to guess it'll do DCI 4K, but only time will tell.

It's too early to compare, but I'm very excited by the announcement. I wonder if there will be full frame 1080p120.

I'm also hoping for cdng support.

For now one is about practicality, these new cameras with their autofocus are a game changer, unless you are doing very high end job, even that is questionable or will be as tech advances. Now when you add IBIS and very good viewfinder, the z6 would kill the Pocket 4k. I was thinking of getting a Pocket 4k as a backup to my Z6 (getting it tomorrow) because of the Raw, 4k 60p and price. Now I don't know. At 1300 USD, it is really a very good price as the z6 would do 80-90% of the job and the P4k would offer raw (no more an advantage) but mostly 60p 4k.

27 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

For now one is about practicality, these new cameras with their autofocus are a game changer, unless you are doing very high end job, even that is questionable or will be as tech advances. Now when you add IBIS and very good viewfinder, the z6 would kill the Pocket 4k. I was thinking of getting a Pocket 4k as a backup to my Z6 (getting it tomorrow) because of the Raw, 4k 60p and price. Now I don't know. At 1300 USD, it is really a very good price as the z6 would do 80-90% of the job and the P4k would offer raw (no more an advantage) but mostly 60p 4k.

The lack of 4k 60p is the killer with the Z6.

17 hours ago, androidlad said:

The resolution could very likely be higher than 4K. As the camera has to send 6K Bayer data to Ninja V, then it's subsampled to lower resolution.

Jeremy from Atomos stated that the resolution in the video was 4k or higher.  I'm thinking it can shoot 6k and perhaps some anamorphic options will be available. Nikon is taking off the gloves.

18 hours ago, andrgl said:

table-edit.thumb.jpg.ef23f9258672f1660f0b414b32b4b854.jpg

I think you left out a few things there buddy... what about, Stills, battery life, weather sealing, flash support, state of the art AF, flippy screen ability to travel ultra light boby only... no EVF. I could go on,  but this list would consume a whole page. 

Let's keep it real... the only way to get the most out of the P4K is rigged. That 5" screen is great,  but she doesn't tilt or flip. And many have reported poor performance in sunlight.  The batteries last 40 minutes... that's not too long.  And most are shooting to external ssd's. Add all the items you are omitting and you still have a fraction of the functionality and features as the Nikon... with a sensor that is 1/4 the size. 

Nikon has made the ML dream real. Finally,  at long last the hybrid is being unleashed onto the world. 

One last thing,  Jeremy from Atomos mentioned that Nikon can do Raw internal... but the Ninja V makes it possible to do in the near term. I would not be surprised to see this feature added when CF Express is released. 

21 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

ProRes Proxy looks pretty terrible compared to H.264 at a similar bitrate. LT is 3x the size. ProRes really just isn't a great family of codecs for casual videos.

Yeah I mean 4k 60p, raw, and prores are definitely not things needed or really useful for taping the kids. 

23 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Let's not forget that the Z6 can shoot in standard H.264 as well! That's a huge benefit for hobbyists or enthusiasts who want high fidelity for projects, but also use their camera for casual purposes like family vacations.

(...)

ProRes Proxy looks pretty terrible compared to H.264 at a similar bitrate. LT is 3x the size. ProRes really just isn't a great family of codecs for casual videos.

Have you ever shoot with?

I've been finding 1920 x 1080 (also available on 4K DCI & UHD) ProRes PXY shot on P4K much away from your description, pretty the opposite BTW... : )

4:2:2 makes all the difference anyway.

1 minute ago, DBounce said:

Notice that the Nikon rep also states @ 1:27, that the CF Express is going to boost the video quality for video shooter. This would seem to support what Jeremy of Atomos said during his interview with Newsshooter, when he said the Z6 and Z7 can record raw internally.

I don't understand why they don't announce it, seems like it would only increase sales. Certainly exciting though.

3 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I don't understand why they don't announce it, seems like it would only increase sales. Certainly exciting though. 

I understand perfectly.... READ THE SIGN BEHIND THE NIKON REP in the video I posted above... I believe this is the new way Nikon intends to build value for their cameras. Add features via firmware updates as opposed to releasing new bodies with requested features and pissing off those that have the older model.

7 hours ago, DBounce said:

I think you left out a few things there buddy... what about, Stills, battery life, weather sealing, flash support, state of the art AF, flippy screen ability to travel ultra light boby only... no EVF. I could go on,  but this list would consume a whole page. 

Let's keep it real... the only way to get the most out of the P4K is rigged. That 5" screen is great,  but she doesn't tilt or flip. And many have reported poor performance in sunlight.  The batteries last 40 minutes... that's not too long.  And most are shooting to external ssd's. Add all the items you are omitting and you still have a fraction of the functionality and features as the Nikon... with a sensor that is 1/4 the size. 

Nikon has made the ML dream real. Finally,  at long last the hybrid is being unleashed onto the world. 

One last thing,  Jeremy from Atomos mentioned that Nikon can do Raw internal... but the Ninja V makes it possible to do in the near term. I would not be surprised to see this feature added when CF Express is released. 

I'm not omitting anything. It's a comparison of the video specs. I thought it was pretty obvious. :)

Feel free to make your own chart.

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

I understand perfectly.... READ THE SIGN BEHIND THE NIKON REP in the video I posted above... I believe this is the new way Nikon intends to build value for their cameras. Add features via firmware updates as opposed to releasing new bodies with requested features and pissing off those that have the older model.

Seems like it would have the same value if they just announced it.