Nikon Z6 / Z7 to go RAW with Atomos Ninja V - could Panasonic be next?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
55 minutes ago, kaylee said:

wow, interesting.

please forgive my ignorance: what exactly is "ProRes RAW"?

I guess there are a couple of different RAW formats.

I know there is Cinema DNG, which I am guessing is just sort of a "collection" of dng images strung together (Why, no, no one has ever confused me for an electrical engineer, why do you ask???)

Black Magic has a Black Magic Raw (I think it might be called "BMRAW", although I might just be confusing that with the name of someone who plays hockey for the Rangers).

And then there is the ProRes Raw which is - according to the pedia of wiki:

ProRes RAW

In April of 2018 Apple released ProRes RAW. It is built upon the same technology as other ProRes codecs, but is directly applied to the raw data coming from the sensor, thus delaying the debayering process to the post-production stage. ProRes RAW therefore aims at quality and better colour reproduction, rather than performance.

Now, if you happen to have a curious mind - or just way to much time on your hands - you can read up on ProRes Raw from the White Paper that Apple Released (which is good, because black paper makes it much hard to see the ink...)

https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Apple_ProRes_RAW_White_Paper.pdf

We have 2 (= TWO) types of RAW.

One is as "technically" meaning, full info with minimum processing, as in photo / still RAWs.

Other one is "commercial" or "marketing" way to name a codec !!!
Maybe a better codec, as "ProRes RAW" can be vs. "ProRes ONLY", but still with quality loss compression (see white papers for ProRes RAW).
Which, being compression with quality loss, it is no (technically) RAW anymore, it is just the name.

I will accept any so called "RAW" as a real RAW only if by compression there is no loss of original stream and by de-compression you recover the original info 100%.
If a loss compression, it is not a real RAW, it is just a codec with the name "RAW".

There are "M.2" memory cards (SSD), smaller or bigger than an SD card, with over 20 times the write speed, exactly what you find in a computer, or external recorder (as Atomos - but packed in a "SATA" container and not "M.2" container). They were available more than six years ago when I had one in my PC.

Just think, if a manufacturer want QUALITY in recording, be it a photo image or a video, the best solution was / still is, to use a speedier recording media.
Forget SD "next generation", or other similar "memory cards", this one do EXIST from many years ago !!!

We have photo-cameras with continuous 3-5-7 fps RAW recording unlimited time, 20-30-40-50 Mpixels !!!.
With an M.2 card,  20 times quicker, it become 60-100-140 fps RAW unlimited, or maybe to say it right, a real video RAW could be already available.
Lets split in 4 to jump from 4K to 8K, it becomes 8K: 15 fps (Fuji be there !!! :relaxed: ), 25 fps !!! end even 35 fps or more in 8K.
THIS is VIDEO RAW !

Q.E.D.

Let see who will be the first, and how.
ATOMOS have it (SSD) inside, but really missing the lane speed. If paired with Z who give it by HDMI (what speed ???), and will record it avoiding the "ProRes RAW" loss compression codec, it might be. I did not count each device, interface maximal performance to be SURE it might happens, but as an ideea it looks doable.

Lets hope!

2 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Lets just hope Nikon doesn't end up making a cinema line of cameras, then start gimping hybrids in the future. 

Considering all the budget cuts, cancelled projects and factories Nikon closed in 2018 and 2017. I highly doubt they will ever make a high end video camera or cinema camera.

Perhaps we are seeing some truth in the theory that Nikon, as the main company without a professional line of video cameras to protect, is free to go where it wants without undermining high end models. We are also seeing a change in philosophy with the mirrorless range towards continuous upgrade with firmware updates (more in line with an electronics company like Apple, than a traditional camera company where you have to buy a new body to get the new features). At least while the Z6 is young, and with no plans to replace it, then squeezing extra juice out of it can only be good for sales.

They’ll probably do some dumbass move where ProRes Raw will only work if you bought the Atomos V with their Filmmaker’s Kit.

I think the next question is how will Canon respond in kind? We already know that a lot of their moves are direct responses to each other, so will Canon introduce RawLite into the EOS-R or an upcoming equivalent camera?

But IBIS and ProRes Raw in the Nikon/Atomos sounds kinda delicious to me. Are there cages available for the Z6 that will lock the cables?

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

They’ll probably do some dumbass move where ProRes Raw will only work if you bought the Atomos V with their Filmmaker’s Kit.

I think the next question is how will Canon respond in kind? We already know that a lot of their moves are direct responses to each other, so will Canon introduce RawLite into the EOS-R or an upcoming equivalent camera?

But IBIS and ProRes Raw in the Nikon/Atomos sounds kinda delicious to me. Are there cages available for the Z6 that will lock the cables?

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-cage-for-nikon-z6-nikon-z7-camera-2243.html