Mean IQ Of dpreview Members?

Snowbro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
43 minutes ago, kaylee said:

we need tha guns for tha tyrannical government tho

if shit ever hits the fan with the US gov and yall find out whos really in control of things, youre going to be thanking god almighty that theres an army of 100 million gun owners in america

In a battle between the people with 100 million guns and the government, my money is on the side with the predator drones, not with the side who can't even talk about photography equipment online without getting into an argument.

37 minutes ago, kaylee said:

youre going to be thanking god almighty that theres an army of 100 million gun owners in america

Thanking? 100 million gunowners with 100 million different opinions, all fighting amongst themselves. I'll bet that makes Putin happy.

52 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I started in Magento (2009ish), then got into WordPress. I just learned C#, now I am taking a course on "database theory" it will suck. I know how to create and use a database, but this is a fluff class, meant to trick you into failing haha. 

I am often in -20c, -3 feels great ?

Did they cover fully-normalised databases yet?  If someone says they've studied database design (in a programming context) and they don't know when a fully-normalised database is better than a semi-normalised database, then I just assume they're lying and/or don't know anything :)

56 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I am often in -20c, -3 feels great ?

I think it's down to the clothing.  @Kisaha also said "which for my country equals to Polar temperatures" which is true for me as well because we don't have clothing that is suitable for that kind of thing because it basically never happens!  The wife and I are contemplating visiting Antarctica at some point, and apart from renting some really nice lenses I think I'd also rent some suitable clothing too :) 

8 minutes ago, kye said:

In a battle between the people with 100 million guns and the government, my money is on the side with the predator drones, not with the side who can't even talk about photography equipment online without getting into an argument.

oh cmon. the american military is not attacking their own people – ever. whos operating these drones, the elite/nWo? what is it, trump with a ps4 controller?

6 minutes ago, User said:

Thanking? 100 million gunowners with 100 million different opinions, all fighting amongst themselves. I'll bet that makes Putin happy.

they dont have different opinions, as far as this is concerned. and the cold war ended a long time ago, no one gives an f about putin, just another phony boogeyman

28 minutes ago, kaylee said:

oh cmon. the american military is not attacking their own people – ever. whos operating these drones, the elite/nWo? what is it, trump with a ps4 controller?

they dont have different opinions, as far as this is concerned. and the cold war ended a long time ago, no one gives an f about putin, just another phony boogeyman

I'm confused.  If the people need 100 million guns then who are they going to be fighting against?  If it's anyone other than the US government then they'd either need a navy or snowshoes, and if it's someone to the south then they'll be completely screwed because there will be a great, impenetrable, beautiful wall in the way ???

1 hour ago, kaylee said:

if shit ever hits the fan with the US gov and yall find out whos really in control of things, youre going to be thanking god almighty that theres an army of 100 million gun owners in america.

it takes 1 bomb for 100.000.000!

It is more possible the 100.000.000 to turn against each other, than the government! The masses are very easily manipulated also.

52 minutes ago, kaylee said:

they dont have different opinions, as far as this is concerned.

As near as I can figure it, with so many unbalanced individuals, and so many guns, I for one would not want to imagine what would happen if the strong arm of the U.S. police, militia, and army ever collapsed.

1 hour ago, kaylee said:

and the cold war ended a long time ago, no one gives an f about putin, just another phony boogeyman

Are you aware of all the recent press mentioning the emergence of the new cold war with Russia? Are you familiar on how Putin came to power and his agenda? I mean, he got your president elected, if that doesn't give you some indication of his power and reach, then I'll leave it there.

13 hours ago, Snowbro said:

If you read any of the previous posts, you would know that I avoid violence & do not threaten people. 

Besides, that would be a falsehood. I am banned from there(6 posts); they didnt want to accept the fact, that god himself didnt make the product and that one had a defect. 

Was just a joke, Snowbro. :) Never thought that you would that seriously.

8 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Statistics are like bikinis, they don't show everything.

They tell enough.

12 hours ago, kaylee said:

if shit ever hits the fan with the US gov and yall find out whos really in control of things, youre going to be thanking god almighty that theres an army of 100 million gun owners in america

2dlf1q.jpg

If it came down to a tyrannical government, two things, firstly most of the gun nuts would likely be supporting them in the first place, and secondly such a government would immediately take everyone's guns without asking. Armed rebellion is a fantasy by people who have no idea what armed rebellion actually entails, which is mostly the rebels being slaughtered (your 9mm is no match for a tank). People have lots of guns, but not the right kind of guns, so they would not stand a chance against an organized military. There is not a whole lot of romantic ideal involved, it is mostly just dying.

2 hours ago, Mokara said:

They tell enough.

If it came down to a tyrannical government, two things, firstly most of the gun nuts would likely be supporting them in the first place, and secondly such a government would immediately take everyone's guns without asking. Armed rebellion is a fantasy by people who have no idea what armed rebellion actually entails, which is mostly the rebels being slaughtered (your 9mm is no match for a tank). People have lots of guns, but not the right kind of guns, so they would not stand a chance against an organized military. There is not a whole lot of romantic ideal involved, it is mostly just dying.

Revolutionary War, Vietnam, Afghanistan/Iraq. Guerrilla warfare is pretty much impossible to extinguish completely. Most people don't care about guns in that regard btw, they just want to protect their home. I can't wait for more of your hilarious responses ?

22 hours ago, User said:

Leaves? You mean he left this forum? Why?

Because Andrew Reid and a few others made life here inhospitable for John Brawley unfortunately . 

21 hours ago, Snowbro said:

I started in Magento (2009ish), then got into WordPress. I just learned C#, now I am taking a course on "database theory" it will suck. I know how to create and use a database, but this is a fluff class, meant to trick you into failing haha. 

Ohhh.... I forgot about Magento until just now! But Magento isn't really a fully fledged CMS in its own rights (or at least it wasn't back then), but rather it was something you used alongside some other CMS like for instance Drupal. 

20 hours ago, kye said:

How quickly would support for the government disappear once they start attacking their own local population in the USA? 

It is EXTREMELY difficult to hold land against a hostile armed local population. 

Having 100 million rifles stored in homes is the best possible defense mechanism a country could have. (both against hostile foreign governments, or your own government)

19 hours ago, kye said:

I'm confused.  If the people need 100 million guns then who are they going to be fighting against?

You never know when you might be attacked. That is why it is a "surprise". 

But also you can own guns for hunting, or sport, self defense, or "just because".

19 hours ago, kye said:

If it's anyone other than the US government then they'd either need a navy or snowshoes, and if it's someone to the south then they'll be completely screwed because there will be a great, impenetrable, beautiful wall in the way ???

Civilian populations almost never ever privately own weapons to attack another country. This shouldn't be a concern whatsoever. 

Rather it is a very effect means of defense. 

6 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Revolutionary War, Vietnam, Afghanistan/Iraq. Guerrilla warfare is pretty much impossible to extinguish completely.

Exactly my point. 

Let's compare "X amount per year" spent on local civilians buying arms vs the same amount spent per year maintaining a standing professional army:

The first is a more effective defense mechanism. (and less effective at projecting aggressive power overseas! A win-win for global peace)

The first is also cheaper on the state's finances. A win for the taxpayer too!

There seems to be a very strange understanding of military tactics and weaponry going on here.

The scenario that some people seem to be suggesting is that this happens:

1. the people learn that their government can't be trusted for some reason and decide to replace them using force
  2. they then stage some kind of guerrilla war against the government forces
  3. they win this war because they have a very large number of very low powered weapons

If this scenario is really a battle for the entire country, and neither side would hold back.  So it wouldn't matter how many AR-15s or even M60s you have, when the army deploys APCs, tanks, and armour-plated surface-to-surface missiles on the ground, deploys drones, helicopter gunships, and fighter planes with air-to-ground laser-guided missiles, and the navy parks a battleship in the middle of every major port city and aircraft carriers out to sea far enough to get clear airspace, the armed population will discover that even if they had 800 trillion zillion quadrillion guns that can't shoot through armour they still wouldn't be much help.

Remember that when the entire population is behind a movement then it wins against the government without needing weapons.  It's only when it's not a majority of the people that weapons might play a part in something.

Therefore it would be more like:

1. some people  learn that their government can't be trusted for some reason and decide to replace them using force, and they then stage some kind of guerrilla war against the government forces
  2. government forces would fall back to secure facilities and would establish supply lines between facilities and intelligence services would be monitoring communications working out who the leaders were and how things are being organised, potentially shutting down key ISPs etc
  3. using superior armour, tactics, military intelligence, and weapons, the government would gradually re-take pockets of resistance

The scenario being described isn't like two armies fighting, it's like a team of navy seals in full body-armour with night-vision attacking a tribe of jungle warriors armed with spears.

Of course, if it was a large enough group then the government would realise that there's votes in it and so the political landscape would change radically.  People don't like to see video of soldiers shooting at their own people, although the US has gotten pretty used to government forces using unnecessary force on its own citizens, the fact nothing has happened in response to that might be a clue about how power really works.  So, it would change things significantly, but the fact that the people had guns doesn't tip the balance in any significant way.

33 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Because Andrew Reid and a few others made life here inhospitable for John Brawley unfortunately . 

That's unfortunate. John kindly replied to one of my queries some time ago, and I was both surprised and grateful for his insight having stumbled across his solid body of work years ago. Methinks we are missing quite a few of the old gang here :(

Although I sometimes let myself get pulled into making sarcastic knee jerk comments, I'm inspired by those who still find a way to be diplomatic while standing on and for healthy ideals.... you folks know who you are :)

8 minutes ago, kye said:

Of course, if it was a large enough group then the government would realise that there's votes in it and so the political landscape would change radically.  People don't like to see video of soldiers shooting at their own people

This is why you don't need scenarios (although not ruling that out either) like you described of a full on scale war of civilians vs "the government". 

As simply just "a few" (hundreds? Thousands?) resisting against some kind of government injustice could be enough for those in power to realise "oh hang on, maybe we should stop being bullies like this and start to behave??"

Often you don't even need to get to that actually happening for government's to make better decisions, as just simply the slim possibility of this happening can help positively influence policy from ridiculously stupid decisions being made (well, worse than normal for governments that is). 

On 1/8/2019 at 10:08 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Which, to bring it back to the OP's issue with DPReview, is quite telling as every time I look in the comments on a news story on there he is seemingly one of their respected voices of wisdom.

Aha, quoted for truth. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

It takes two to tango.