Mean IQ Of dpreview Members?

Snowbro

• Super Members

I think once you accept that DPReview an Amazon owned company, which basically makes it an Amazon message board masquerading as a legitimate user driven community, then you should just let stuff like that wash over you.

By contributing any expertise or insight to those forums then you are effectively just helping build and add credibility to a stealth advertising platform for Amazon (for free!) which they will always ultimately exert control over in the way that fits in with their agenda of selling gear.

Thats why in your situation they turn a blind eye to people being attacked rather than the camera.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the fact that the 64/24 year old filmmaker/dentist/banged to rights scam artist is one of their respected contributors should be enough reason for people to ask themselves if they wan't to belong to a club that would have someone like that as a member.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

But..But I Love Amazon! Even though I have been banned on the DPR Sony forum for 4 years LoL. I don't spend 15 minutes a week on DPR anymore I will admit.

The front page is a decent resource for press release aggregation so its useful for that.

I do fear for the safety of the poor souls who have to share their lives and homes with the circa 90% of commenters who lose their shit whenever a story about Leica is featured.

1*9tt9bj2PoB6gnSaDO1jFBA.thumb.jpg.d62fe5edcf424f268fc1fec4b6415bcf.jpg

Yeah just the Word Leica on there is like you caused the Black Plague. Only new Leica I ever bought was a M3. Could barley afford a lens for it at the time LoL. I have always wanted to buy the Leica M Monochrom. Never seem to have the money. Actually Sigma Foveon cameras are damn good for B&W. 

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Only new Leica I ever bought was a M3. Could barley afford a lens for it at the time LoL. 

If you got that on the day of launch then you really are an old git ;)

How did you get your camera announcement press releases in those days Grandad?

morse.jpg.f88ea49ae812be7e00b84a37e94c968f.jpg

I bought it in 1966 from the Naples, Italy Navel station duty free store. I think it was around 355 dollars without taxes, or duty fees which I didn't have to pay. Funny My father was a Radio operator in the Navy, and I am a Ham radio operator since I was 11. Haven't done any of it for years and years. Picture even sort of looks like him! He was a radio operator for Admiral Halsey in WW II. I think there were four operators that went anyplace the Admiral did. They changed ships like every 2 to 3 weeks to not be detected. My father was on a TON of ships. He was in 4 years like me.

11 hours ago, TheRealOG said:

Feeling the repercussions from meddling in other nation's affairs now? ?

No, because I don't meddle in 'other nations affairs'... I'm already in a relationship and I'm monogamous :)
But let me ask you, what's it like living in your mom's basement/ a hard won social democracy, but in a constant state of self-loathing?

No, it has too high of velocity relative to the rounds size. Unless you get fragmenting bullets, it's basically a over sized .22. Plus, the military & police use that ammo, so it becomes too hard to find and expensive. It's best to play army on call of duty & just buy a shotgun/pistol combo if you are a real American. Maybe a hunting rifle if you have freezer space to put a bunch of elk/deer/buffalo meat in. Bag one of those & you dont have to buy meat at the store for over a year, many times more. 

11 hours ago, User said:

No, because I don't meddle in 'other nations affairs'... I'm already in a relationship and I'm monogamous :)
But let me ask you, what's it like living in your mom's basement/ a hard won social democracy, but in a constant state of self-loathing?

My mom doesn't have a basement (I don't want to be exposed to radon) nor do I live at home. Nor am I a constant state of self-loathing. Why would I? This thread has gone by the wayside, which I am thoroughly enjoying!

52 minutes ago, TheRealOG said:

My mom doesn't have a basement (I don't want to be exposed to radon) nor do I live at home. Nor am I a constant state of self-loathing. Why would I?

- Ok then, have it your way. But how do you handle the weightlessness?

On 1/11/2019 at 3:31 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Unfortunately, the detail involved means that we will be anything but fine.

Frictionless trade and with mainland Europe isn't just a buzz phrase but a vital part of not just how much trade we do but how we are able to do that trade. 

Everything that has evolved over our almost half a century relationship with the EU from food and safety standards, to human rights, worker protection, research projects, funding of development of deprived areas and the two way benefits of freedom of movement will all end in a couple of months.

My right to work, trade and latterly live in other European countries that I have enjoyed for the past 27 years will be over.

My wife who is an EU national has also spent those same 27 years working in the UK, paying taxes and contributing to the economy will now have to pay a registration fee to stay in our own home.

Her pensions and other assets are locked into a currency that has been devalued, her future status is no longer protected by EU agreements and living in a country that is becoming ever more flagrantly hostile to EU nationals.

And all of this while we are still bound by the terms of membership so God knows how it will become when the gloves are off after we leave the EU.

So we have had to make a decision to open an EU company in readiness and unless a miracle happens and Brexit is halted we will close our UK one because it will just present too many problems to trade with and within the EU from outside it.

Without sounding too dramatic, due to the ideologies behind it and the impact it will have on my ability to maintain my career, Brexit has made me a political and economic refugee and I will be leaving the UK permanently.

Even if everything is 'fine' in the UK after Brexit, it will never truly be 'fine' again due the fractures it has created and the light it has shone on some ugly truths.

And yet we continue to sleep walk to the abyss because of some insane combination of an outdated notion of exceptionalism within the wider world and keeping a stiff upper lip.

Summed up really by this from one of our better comedies that I'm sure you are both familiar with ;)

Gulp! ;)

• Super Members
2 hours ago, kaylee said:

damn, @BTM_Pix... sounds complex. you guys need a winner like trump to sort things out~! or maybe obama? hes not busy

anyway, i just discovered the jeremy kyle show... i was kind of shocked. i want to think of yall as tea sipping aristocrats, work the gimmick!! americans love that shit!!

It is a complex problem with a simple answer which is to just not fucking do it ;)

Sadly, the level of reasoned debate in our parliament is several notches below the typical episode of Jeremy Kyle.