Mean IQ Of dpreview Members?

Snowbro

51 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

You Really need to read some upbeat literature

This is upbeat literature.

36 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Sounds like some really fucked up hidden mode you've discovered on the Alexa there.

Yep, 60 seconds in the microwave did the trick.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, BTM_Pix said:

You could use the strapline "Guns don't kill people. People with inferiority complexes with guns kill people".

guns don't kill people, farmers with pretty daughters kill people with guns ?

guns are designed for one thing only to kill other things either close up or far away

pros : they fast acting... unless badly targeted

cons : can be noisy

i have guns however i own a farm and they do get used for dispatching sick animals and feral animal control. the vast amount of people in this world do not need guns. if you need a gun for protection then there is something fundamentally wrong with your society. more guns wont fix that all you'll get is more mourning on both sides of a bad equation.

with the internet . unfortunately there is no sorting hat that can segregate dumb-asses into a separate kindergarten level like internet. that would be like heaven but more tech inclined and less harps ?   so when visiting an online forum one should wear protection. actually protection should be mandatory especially for brief interludes with the opposite gender that would prevent even more dumb-asses from being created. heck lets just legislate to breed, you need a permit and pass a test .... a marriage license just doesn't cut it anymore   ?

4 hours ago, User said:

Kids can be fun and playful, and if it were me, I set up a few huge monitors around your main living area that are tuned and triggered by phrases like "how is that rude" and when triggered play random Kafka quotes. Here are a few that seem to fit:

You are free, and that is why you are lost.

So long as you have food in your mouth, you have solved all questions for the time being.

One of the first signs of the beginning of understanding is the wish to die.

As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.

A book must be the ax for the frozen sea within us.

From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the point that must be reached.

In the fight between you and the world, back the world.

That is hilarious!

Just what I needed first thing in the morning - a good chuckle :)

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Sounds like some really fucked up hidden mode you've discovered on the Alexa there.

evilecho-580x358.jpg.18a2d9e8a0a6dda7d08fd7b410809350.jpg

LOL.

During my uni days I had one of those long conversations that ended up following logical tangents to illogical places, and we ended up designing a sarcastic and borderline-abusive artificially intelligent personal assistant.  It would be shaped like a key fob and it would do everything a PA would do, basically like a smart-phone minus the social media.  During the early parts of the conversation the design was helpful, it would take notes, make appointments by talking directly with other AIPAs, order goods, etc.  Then we figured that the market would eventually be saturated with competing products and that's where the sarcasm would come in - as a differentiator.

Things like:
"Am I busy next Thursday evening?"   "Yes, you are.......   I don't know why you bother, but sure"
"What about Friday night?"   "I'm confident you can fritter that away somehow"
"Make an appointment for dinner with Suzy Friday night"   "Hope springs eternal"
"What am I doing after that?"   "Regret...  Self-loathing..."

But you're right, we can get started now on the current technology ???

9 minutes ago, kye said:

That is hilarious! Just what I needed first thing in the morning - a good chuckle :)

- As a recovering malcontent, I'm happy to support your child rearing process ;)

11 minutes ago, kye said:

"What am I doing after that?"   "Regret...  Self-loathing..."

- Too funny!
I honestly believe that you guys were onto something with the sarcastic and borderline-abusive differentiator part... I actually get physically uncomfortable when everything is too 'nice.' Satire becomes much more meaningful to me over the years... I hope the state will issue a pardon and I'll be paroled soon.

28 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Speaking about AI LoL. I saw on 60 minutes, a TV show here once a week, that the best known Chinese AI Engineer in China, Kai-Fu Lee, said in 15 to 20 years AI will displace 40% of the work force in the world! 40%. Yikes.

Yes.

Of course, if you think of AI as the automation of thinking, then it fits with robotics, which is the automation of doing.  Then you can understand what AI will do by looking at what robotics has done.  Robotics has provided three main impacts: it replaced some jobs outright, it de-skilled some other jobs, and it means the owners of the machine get more of the profits.  This is reflected in the current trends of there being some unemployment, but considerably more under-employment where skilled workers are forced to work unskilled jobs for less money.

The rise of AI will have pretty much the same impacts, but it will do it to intellectually repetitive tasks instead of physically repetitive tasks.  We're going to cause an enormous shift in the workforce and that's where the arguments for basic income are coming from.  There's been a steady reduction in the number of hours worked per capita over the last 50 years (IIRC - it's multiple decades anyway) due to banning child labour, the 40-hour week, and other social changes, so automation and AI are just continuations of this trend.  

In the longterm, we're just not going to have enough jobs, so we need to work out how to cope with this.

5 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Yes, it was never intended to be so random. It got off topic after page one and never recovered; I drop in from time to time, to gaze upon the chaos lol

Oh yes, sorry - forgot you're the OP for a second there!

I could argue that starting a thread here is inviting the random and that you should have known, but I'll let you off with a warning this time, but don't let me catch you doing the same thing next time and claiming it wasn't intended!!  ???

• Super Members
3 hours ago, kye said:

Did you see what they did in the modern revival about Daleks and stairs?  It was quite an amusing moment.. :)

I hadn't but I've just watched it on YouTube

They used to scare the shit out of me as a kid. My Dad preyed on this to keep me from playing in the electricity sub station (it was the 70s, we had a different benchmark for danger back then) by saying the loud buzzing noise coming out of it was from the daleks that lived in there.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:00 AM, User said:

Thank you for that Kai... I know of the situation you describe. I also know that not every refugee is Muslim, but it seems to me that if I were Muslim, I would want to seek asylum in a country that was also Islamic friendly... you know... where my brothers and sisters just 'get' me and my burqa clad wife. Indonesia, Bangladesh, Pakistan easily come to mind as they are not war zones. But somehow everyone seems to want the nations with mini skirts social welfare cheques. How odd.
It would be interesting to me if all Germans suddenly moved to bombed out Syria... I'll bet you that within 10 years Syria would be a model state and Germany would be a shit hole.
The issue for me is that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and if you have ever sat at length with those who have Allah in the heart and on the tongue, you'll find that things like science, logic and reason often go right out the window. Funny that about religion... and yes the Evangelicals are just as dumb, but they don't blow people up... not yet anyway. I also know that not every asylum seeker is a religious fanatic, and asylum seekers can also be economic refugees. Should the West blame itself for the woes of the world... a little self flagellation? I don't know, sometimes the people get the governments they deserve.
And finally, if 2 million Europeans sought asylum in an Islamic nation, there would simply be mass killings. But hey, the West has to somehow be the light... and Germany did have a huge labour gap that they wanted to fill... and so it goes ;)

Feeling the repercussions from meddling in other nation's affairs now? ?

Ah, it all makes sense now. Once again the joke of a mod "Mako2011" removed my posts, because I said: "Canon knows about this issue, I reported it in October and there have been other threads on it" on a thread showcasing the issue (until it's deleted). Now I know why these threads keep getting deleted, they are paid to by the camera companies.

"Bashing: Deliberately and repeatedly bashing the same brand, product orcompany. If you have a complaint or comment to make, make it once and make sure you have facts to support it." I made one post (quoted above) in weeks, which has to be approved by sir MakoShillPants.

For starters, he doesn't seem to know that there is a space in front of company in his sentence ?. I did provide lots of evidence, there was also social evidence. Users on the new thread someone else created, said that canon has told them that this is the first time hearing about this issue. Are you kidding?! I know that I have seen at least 20 other people just on the forums say they called canon and reported it. They know about it and are lying to save face. You can't hold camera companies responsible to any degree on that joke of a forum dp. Sorry MakoShill, you will not be getting invited to Hawaii, regardless of what your little dreams consist of.

Long live the land of the free, EOSHD ?