Mean IQ Of dpreview Members?

Snowbro

On 1/11/2019 at 7:08 PM, kye said:

The largest item on the list is the 2017 Womens march with an estimated 3.3-4.6 million people.  For context, that's most of the entire population of NZ.  Was the march a success?  Probably, but it didn't turn the political landscape upside-down or anything.

I'm referring to armed resistance. 

Comparatively speaking, a bunch people going for a walk is relatively meaningless. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

hahahaa good one @IronFilm

seriously tho, on the political tip, i would guess that 98% of the posters in the history of this board would agree that:

force shouldnt be used to make someone agree with you

thats the most fundamental aspect of my politics, and that of people who agree with me

we dont want to force ANYONE to do ANYTHING. and we HATE those that do.

coercion breeds contempt, at the very least.

unpopular speech is vital to the health of our nation, and any nation. while some still want to push lenny bruce offstage, id like to hear his act~!

and like i said before, we should ALL be able to talk, in order to UNDERSTAND each other better. what do i know about brexit? nothing! the international perspective from this board is fantastically educational

sometimes i for one say things that are intended to... stir the pot a little bit? its just my personality, and i dont mean any harm by it~!

to me its like this "bar dialogue" thats been lost today...

a song comes on the jukebox, and youre kinda sloshed, and you start talking to a total stranger

me: ? OH MY GAWWD I LOVE THIS SONGGG ?

them: WHAAAT THIS SONG IS THE WORST

*friendly non-heated dialogue that might appear heated to an alien from outer space ensues*

not

me: OMG I LOVE THIS SONG

them: *actual shots fired*

passerby: *calls 911*

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'm referring to armed resistance. 

Maybe you missed the other 90% of my posts where I was also talking about armed resistance?

I mean, you can avoid a real conversation by quoting a small fraction of what I said and then reply only to that if you'd like, but don't think I, or anyone else, wouldn't notice :)

• Super Members
4 hours ago, kaylee said:

me: OMG I LOVE THIS SONG

them: *actual shots fired*

passerby: *calls 911*

I suppose that's the issue when it comes to disagreements about music when you have so many guns around.

To paraphrase a British comedian on the issue....

You sent us Elvis Presley and we took him to our hearts, we sent you John Lennon and you shot him.

Speaking of comedians, I think Chris Rock had a great idea to enable people to still own guns but reduce the number of "heat of the moment" murders by charging $5000 each for the bullets on the basis that you would really have to be mad at someone to waste $5000 on them ;)

4 hours ago, kye said:

you can avoid a real conversation by quoting a small fraction of what I said and then reply only to that if you'd like...

Social justice warriors and half baked journalists love this approach... not that IronFilm is either as far as I know.
But just for fun, I'm reminded of an insightful and often hilarious interview with Jordan Peterson by Kathy Newman that makes light of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

1 hour ago, Snowbro said:

Back to the original topic:

Now there are more people crying about the camera (eos r) freezing on dpreview. When I mentioned it, that was such an impossibility, because I only had a few posts there ?

Ah but the thing is that if Sony has a button that is 1mm out of place for most people that makes it unuseable while Canon (and Nikon) could make a camera that only takes a picture every second time you push the button and that would be neither here nor there!

Just merging your two recent threads a bit.

5 hours ago, User said:

Social justice warriors and half baked journalists love this approach... not that IronFilm is either as far as I know.
But just for fun, I'm reminded of an insightful and often hilarious interview with Jordan Peterson by Kathy Newman that makes light of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

It's just one of the cornucopia of ways to avoid a real debate or discussion.  Unfortunately, most people either don't know enough about how to debate properly or don't care enough about doing it properly, so most conversations are just riddled with dirty tactics and are almost completely devoid of genuine logical arguments.

Here's an interesting list that contains 71 intellectually dishonest tacticshttps://johntreed.com/blogs/john-t-reed-s-news-blog/60887299-intellectually-honest-and-intellectually-dishonest-debate-tactics
But there are simpler tactics that are also very common.  A great one is shifting the burden of proof.  My kids do this all the time and its difficult not to fall for it.  They are rude and sarcastic, you call them out about being rude, they deny being rude and instead of justifying that statement they ask "how is that rude" and try to set the context that if you can't prove it then they weren't being rude.  Of course, if you fall for the trap and try to provide reasons they just disagree without any argument or proof, and of course they're never going to admit it, so you're flogging a dead horse.  I don't think I saw it in the list of 71 tactics in that article.

Amusingly, the author of the above says there are only two intellectually honest tactics:

1. pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts
2. pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic

• Super Members
8 hours ago, kaylee said:

So true. we couldve saved that bullet for piers

No need to waste the metal as he can be apparently be brought down by meat substitute alone.

20190113_110319.thumb.png.2510a1c26f68267fa20431db640817eb.png

After helping whip up a national frenzy after a bakery chain released a vegan version of its sausage roll (like we don't already have enough pressing matters in the UK to dominate public debate) he decided to really show his moral outrage and disgust by eating one on his TV show.

After spitting it out (yes on live TV) he is now claiming it is responsible for him being hospitalised.

A part of me is hoping that the bakery in question had actually sneakily obtained his DNA (possibly from a bile soaked microphone used during one of his whiney rants) and identified a way to attack his gastrointestinal system to see if they could make actual shit rather than the usual metaphorical shit pour out of his mouth.

Many countries come up with creative ways to surrepticiously remove enemies of the state but I suppose it does still speak to a certain type of Britishness to attempt to do it via the medium of baked goods.

americans are so confused by piers. we cant understand how someone can be like... far right AND anti gun?

we cant process it! american brains just go **ERROR**

i cant think of one political figure, outspoken celebrity, or random idiot in the media who fits that description over here~! 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, kaylee said:

americans are so confused by piers. we cant understand how someone can be like... far right AND anti gun?

we cant process it! american brains just go **ERROR**

i cant think of one political figure, outspoken celebrity, or random idiot in the media who fits that description over here~! 

In the UK, he went from being the editor of the right wing News Of The World tabloid to being the editor of the left wing Daily Mirror tabloid.

And as far as I can tell he is simultaneously and equally loathed by both left and right.

He truly is Schrodinger's Twat.

1 hour ago, kaylee said:

Isn't that because most people who might entertain that thought combination are too afraid to voice it, and those that do have their megaphones taken away?

19 hours ago, kye said:

My kids do this all the time and its difficult not to fall for it.  They are rude and sarcastic, you call them out about being rude, they deny being rude and instead of justifying that statement they ask "how is that rude" and try to set the context that if you can't prove it then they weren't being rude.  Of course, if you fall for the trap and try to provide reasons they just disagree without any argument or proof, and of course they're never going to admit it, so you're flogging a dead horse. 

Kids can be fun and playful, and if it were me, I set up a few huge monitors around your main living area that are tuned and triggered by phrases like "how is that rude" and when triggered play random Kafka quotes. Here are a few that seem to fit:

You are free, and that is why you are lost.

So long as you have food in your mouth, you have solved all questions for the time being.

One of the first signs of the beginning of understanding is the wish to die.

As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.

A book must be the ax for the frozen sea within us.

From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the point that must be reached.

In the fight between you and the world, back the world.

41 minutes ago, User said:

Kids can be fun and playful, and if it were me, I set up a few huge monitors around your main living area that are tuned and triggered by phrases like "how is that rude" and when triggered play random Kafka quotes. Here are a few that seem to fit:

You are free, and that is why you are lost.

So long as you have food in your mouth, you have solved all questions for the time being.

One of the first signs of the beginning of understanding is the wish to die.

As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.

A book must be the ax for the frozen sea within us.

From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the point that must be reached.

In the fight between you and the world, back the world.

You Really need to read some upbeat literature LoL. You are suppose to help teach children, not scare the shit out of them. ?

• Super Members
52 minutes ago, User said:

Kids can be fun and playful, and if it were me, I set up a few huge monitors around your main living area that are tuned and triggered by phrases like "how is that rude" and when triggered play random Kafka quotes.

Sounds like some really fucked up hidden mode you've discovered on the Alexa there.

evilecho-580x358.jpg.18a2d9e8a0a6dda7d08fd7b410809350.jpg