Mean IQ Of dpreview Members?

Snowbro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, User said:

Yes, this is statistically true. But my comment was more towards finding a way forward and towards a life with meaning that is financially sustainable.

I'm doing doc film - which I love - but it's pretty much a vow of poverty. Not to completely derail this thread but I'd be curious on how others here plan to keep their heads above the water in the years ahead?

I'm an amateur, as are many people here I believe, so I think we'll grapple with the changes that are likely occurring in our own industries, and visit the world of photography and film-making in our spare time and with the luxury of not having to survive from it.

15 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Since this thread has gotten so incredibly off track and random, I am just going to throw this out there: I ordered a camera from Adorama Sunday with next day air priority shipping. They created the shipping label, but two cutoff deadlines have passed. Called them and they said it would be shipped today, didn't apparently. I never had this issue with BH, I wonder if there is a bottleneck in their SCM. Maybe I will get it next week lol. 

Call them again and say that you are a very active member of the HK forum.

Probably your package will be delivered very fast after it. :)

4 hours ago, kye said:

I'm an amateur, as are many people here I believe, so I think we'll grapple with the changes that are likely occurring in our own industries, and visit the world of photography and film-making in our spare time and with the luxury of not having to survive from it.

This is very insulting for us that chose the other way around.

I breath images and sounds everyday, why do you believe this is lesser than what you do?

I consider myself lucky, being able to survive from film and video. When you do a project somewhere, you get concentrated knowledge and experience unlike most "normal" jobs I know.

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I breath images and sounds everyday, why do you believe this is lesser than what you do?

I consider myself lucky, being able to survive from film and video. When you do a project somewhere, you get concentrated knowledge and experience unlike most "normal" jobs I know.

I know that English isn't your first language but 'Insulting?' Really?
Kye is just indicating that he (and some others here) make his living outside of media production, I didn't know that. He's not saying that anyone or anything is 'lesser'.
This is a thread that already contains comments on just how uncomfortably confrontational/ combative/ polarised dpreview (and the world) seems to have become... are you sure you want to add to that here Kisaha?

No insult intended!  Sorry if that's what it sounded like.

I sympathise for the struggles that the pros are experiencing with the changes in the industry, and in a sense I just have my struggles in a different industry.  I've had my fair share of stress from work (or the lack of it) during my career and there is just as much criticism and commentary of my industry from those outside it as there is in photography I think.  

We all live somewhere and holiday somewhere else, and we all work in one industry and have hobbies in other industries.

5 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Call them again and say that you are a very active member of the HK forum.

Probably your package will be delivered very fast after it. :)

If you read any of the previous posts, you would know that I avoid violence & do not threaten people. 

Besides, that would be a falsehood. I am banned from there(6 posts); they didnt want to accept the fact, that god himself didnt make the product and that one had a defect. 

On 1/8/2019 at 2:50 PM, Snowbro said:

Here we were having a civilized, intelligent conversation, then you had to show up ?

It is clearly impossible to have a debate with someone, that enters a discussion spewing insults and taking words out of context. You are ignoring the fact that murders are still taking place (at high rates), regardless of if a gun is used or not. There are many countries with a much higher homicide rate than the US, where guns are banned.

Also, my "native" counties of Norway & Switzerland, have guns & their homicide rate is 3.3 times lower than Canada's; they are in the the top few countries for the lowest homicide/crime. See how naive cherry picking is? I already mentioned that there is much more to it, don't hyperfocus one detail so much, there are many aspects to such a complex social issue. 

Like I said a few times already, this is not a forum to debate such a thing. We do not agree, great. Let's get back to talking about cameras. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Numbers tell it all.

There are plenty of guns in Canada. But, you can't just go and buy one. You have to be licensed and do a training course. There are also different classes of guns, unrestricted, restricted and prohibited. Automatic weapons are prohibited. Long guns (barrel longer than a certain length, such as rifles) have no restrictions. Guns with barrels shorter than a certain length are prohibited. In between that (ie most handguns) you can own them, but only if you have a valid reason. Most gun related homicides come from handguns, and since there are not that many of those legally around, the gun homicide rate in Canada is much lower. Canada has a hunting culture and have just as many rifles as Americans do.

It is all about having a sensible national gun policy, which Canada has and the US does not. 

On 1/8/2019 at 2:57 PM, kye said:

So, if people live their lives with judgement so impaired that they get major investment decisions wrong, choose the wrong partners, can't create happiness in their lives, and then don't even decide to get therapy but opt for medication instead, why would you expect that they will be able to somehow transcend all that and become informed, rational, and articulate people when it comes to cameras?

Because camera buying is a religion and people gain a god like level of clarity as to which brand to worship.

On 1/8/2019 at 3:25 PM, Snowbro said:

I know a guy who used to be an engineer (80/90s), the company he worked for went under. I think he started doing photography more seriously while he was searching for another job. It turned into him doing it as a professional for around 30 years. He was the classic photographer guy, light meter, backdrops, fleece vest etc. I know he also did many weddings; then the digital age hit. One of the first Nikon D3's in the state was purchased by him, he still uses it today as his only camera.. As the years passed (2005-present) I have watched him go from a happy confident guy, to a nervous, broken looking man. He has not adapted well to the times, his photos are almost straight out of the camera jpgs at maybe f10, seems as if they could have been taken with a phone camera. Editing video is wizardry to him, same with flying a drone (even though he got his commercial license for it). One time, he visited and was almost crying, that a new soccer coach at a local high school, hired someone else to take the group photos that he had taken for a decade. His relationship with his wife is hostile, she even bought a new D850 last year, with a set of pro lenses to spite him (she never uses the camera or will let him touch it). Point being; it is hard to watch someone with so much passion and happiness decline so badly. I know he is struggling incredibly financially, but he is unable to adapt with the times. Even if he did keep up, like you mentioned, there is much less work for even the top photographers. 

That is a really sad story ? ?

And sadly it is far from unique either.

35 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Because camera buying is a religion and people gain a god like level of clarity as to which brand to worship.

Not realising that they should worship the art of photography or film-making and see the rest as tools.

I suspect that brand worship is a symptom of the amateur who loves the equipment and talking about it online and not the pros who are way too busy trying to balance the quality of their work with putting food on the table, but who knows...

On 1/8/2019 at 4:20 PM, Snowbro said:

I build custom high end CMS sites for companies at the moment. I also provide them with content through photo & video. I can either do this for a business or on my own again after school. If creative work falls through one day, I can pivot to more CS work since I know how to program. 

What CMS are you using? I've dabbled a little in what was the big three of the time (mostly WordPress, a little Drupal, and a teeny bit Joomla. And probably a little else here and there I'm forgetting).

On 1/8/2019 at 4:22 PM, webrunner5 said:

Very few people ever have a job they really like.

Not so for me. I'm living the dream! Doing filmmaking, and on any time off I have then I'm getting paid to cycle! Double win-win for me.

@kye i replied while I was in a difficult shooting with -3 degrees Celcious, which for my country equals to Polar temperatures, so maybe I did misjudged the statement.

I seriously respect ALL jobs, and I mean that with all my heart. All jobs are important, all people are important is my motto. Imagine if there was no cleaning service anywhere, no garbage collection, noone that make your clothes or put together the pieces on your phone and your camera to make them whole. People process our food, build our houses, clean our streets, service us in restaurants - and I have done some of those myself, so I know what is like.

In anyway, what makes this forum more interesting for me, is the knowledge and experience that working professionals share here. It is different to test a camera on your best friend's birthday party, and different than covering the event of a corporate client. Different when someone testing cameras on himself, on his spare room, and different when on a 50-100 people set for a major network. The weight of the decision gives weight to the opinion.

That is the difference with DPR, 1 in 1000 has a valuable information there, if most pro's leave eosHD, then it will become a more videocentric DPR.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:08 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Which, to bring it back to the OP's issue with DPReview, is quite telling as everytime I look in the comments on a news story on there he is seemingly one of their respected voices of wisdom.

This fact illustrates how EOSHD is better than DPReview ?

On 1/8/2019 at 8:16 PM, kye said:

I think the solution is for people to be more curious.  If someone says something you disagree with, instead of disagreeing with them, try asking them why they disagree, or how they came to that conclusion.  This is how to cool a situation and learn something as well.

This is one of the things I love about forums, experiencing all the wide ranging diversity of opinions and perspectives. (even if that means you have to take a dose of the crazy in as well along the way....)

On 1/8/2019 at 10:32 PM, Kisaha said:

If guns were legal in the UK, I am sure there will be more a lot more murders than now.

Would there be overall an increase in crime?? It isn't that clear cut. 
For one I fully expect the high number of knife attacks would decrease.....

On 1/8/2019 at 10:55 PM, Snowbro said:

Don't really want to get into a debate, not the correct type of forums lol. In a respectful way, I would like to link an article from Bloomberg, published in 2018. It shows the number of homicides in London actually increased for awhile, after they had passed the Firearms Amendment Act in 1997, it did not drop until 2005. It is now rising unfortunately; you can also see that the number of burglaries is much higher in the UK vs US (490 US 716 UK) as per 100,000 population. I learned in economics, that association is not always causation, so I cannot claim to know 100% the links here. I doubt any of us are experts in this field, it is very complex. All I can say is, I wish people were not so selfish and crazy. It would be nice to never have to worry about protecting yourself, sadly our world will likely never be that way. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-06-19/why-london-has-more-crime-than-new-york

Exactly!

On 1/9/2019 at 7:41 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Bring your own medicine and trade deals with you though.

Britain will be just fine come March!

On 1/9/2019 at 9:49 AM, Kisaha said:

@User I bet you 14CAD that we live in the most peaceful and less violent era in human history! Most people (like women, immigrants and minorities) couldn't even vote a few decades ago, the most profitable profession for thousands of years was slavery. Rape was just a common, everyday thing. In Europe, they were burning people because they were owning cats. You know what I mean, they didn't have internet back then!

Exactly. Let's not forget how good we've got it now! :-)

40 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

That is the difference with DPR, 1 in 1000 has a valuable information there, if most pro's leave eosHD, then it will become a more videocentric DPR.

Which is why it is really sad any time top notch pros like John Brawley leaves ? :-/ 

47 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Britain will be just fine come March!

Exactly. Let's not forget how good we've got it now! :-)

Which is why it is really sad any time top notch pros like John Brawley leaves ? :-/ 

I believe Britain will benfine too, they always manage for their own good, even though I was favoring a united Europe.

We got it fine, when our problems is "which gimbal I am getting" everything is alright!

Yes, he will be missed!

@kye i replied while I was in a difficult shooting with -3 degrees Celcious, which for my country equals to Polar temperatures, so maybe I did misjudged the statement.

I seriously respect ALL jobs, and I mean that with all my heart. All jobs are important, all people are important is my motto. Imagine if there was no cleaning service anywhere, no garbage collection, noone that make your clothes or put together the pieces on your phone and your camera to make them whole. People process our food, build our houses, clean our streets, service us in restaurants - and I have done some of those myself, so I know what is like.

In anyway, what makes this forum more interesting for me, is the knowledge and experience that working professionals share here. It is different to test a camera on your best friend's birthday party, and different than covering the event of a corporate client. Different when someone testing cameras on himself, on his spare room, and different when on a 50-100 people set for a major network. The weight of the decision gives weight to the opinion.

No worries mate...  -3 would make me pretty grumpy too!

All professions, huh?  ALL professions?  Really?  Lawyers?  Lobbyists?  Hitmen?   ..................Politicians?  ???

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

What CMS are you using? I've dabbled a little in what was the big three of the time (mostly WordPress, a little Drupal, and a teeny bit Joomla. And probably a little else here and there I'm forgetting).

I started in Magento (2009ish), then got into WordPress. I just learned C#, now I am taking a course on "database theory" it will suck. I know how to create and use a database, but this is a fluff class, meant to trick you into failing haha. 

2 minutes ago, kye said:

No worries mate...  -3 would make me pretty grumpy too!

I am often in -20c, -3 feels great ?