Mean IQ Of dpreview Members?

Snowbro

2 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Yeah, this is true. I have encountered a few very crazy people, that seemed to have nothing to lose. I won't mention all of them, but I had one that was as bad as someone in the bird box movie lol. I was leaving an event in Reno,NV (first & last time there), we were behind someone that was holding up about 50 cars. His car was running, so it likely was not broken down. He didn't move for 5 min, the driver of our vehicle honked finally. A 40 year old red headed guy got out of the car and ran up with crazy eyes, bashing our window with his bare hands. He was punching it as hard as he could, you could see blood all over the window. He didn't break it, I just laughed, but I am glad someone like him wasn't packing heat lol. I learned after high school that your pride isn't worth dying over. Growing up, you could settle a dispute outside with someone in a gradeschool mutual combat ha. I have confronted people calling me out (over random dumb stuff, like accidently locking eye contact in public etc.) then seeing them pull out a knife or something. You never know what someone will do, it's not worth it imo. I saw a video of a guy who was confronted by two people at a gas station (did you disrespect me type of deal?!), he won the fight. Then the aggressors came back and shot him as he was driving away.. 

Seriously. I distract the complete psychos ones. I remember telling a very dangerous guy (in a fake display of compassion) that he is tired and gave him my energy bar, while he was wondering what to assault me with. He ate it and we almost got friendly. I had to prevent myself from laughing. Another time some guy on gsmarena was claiming he can find people through their IP addresses and hunt and kill them. I am guessing the number of serial killers is just going updaily. 

I encounter psychotic people all the time. I am actually wondering whether their talents can be channelled towards something radical and yet good. Or they can be made to self destruct in some way. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Don't really want to get into a debate, not the correct type of forums lol. In a respectful way, I would like to link an article from Bloomberg, published in 2018. It shows the number of homicides in London actually increased for awhile, after they had passed the Firearms Amendment Act in 1997, it did not drop until 2005. It is now rising unfortunately; you can also see that the number of burglaries is much higher in the UK vs US (490 US 716 UK) as per 100,000 population. I learned in economics, that association is not always causation, so I cannot claim to know 100% the links here. I doubt any of us are experts in this field, it is very complex. All I can say is, I wish people were not so selfish and crazy. It would be nice to never have to worry about protecting yourself, sadly our world will likely never be that way. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-06-19/why-london-has-more-crime-than-new-york

I was in London last year for while and I was shocked at the number of beggars and the number of ghettos that have sprung up. Plus biker gangs robbing women in the evening, with knives, and the law enforcement turning a blind eye to things. Plus the rise of all sorts of radicals. I was in central London, but the rest of the city is almost as bad at the unsafe parts of New York. 

There is a growing body of evidence, and though I'm not writing this in stone, but for me there is one main factor contributing to the rising intolerance: the internet. It isolates us from one another and has lead to a breakdown in our personal communication skills. Moreover, it allows us to register for accounts where we contribute our ideas, but often with no tangible results, so we may feel hollow afterwards further which only further exacerbates the problem. For sure there are many positive aspects, but I was raised before the rise of it and somehow appreciate the slower and gentler pace without it. Of course, riding behind this growing intolerance is the slow erosion of the middle class.

Transnational for most of the past 20 years, social media/ email was a way to keep up with folks but I dropped this a few years ago, telling the few people I consider friends that I'm reachable by phone only... which has worked in limited amounts.
To be honest, I've been looking for a way out for a long time... the plan is to sell off and hit an old world funny fucked up country that I love, get a fishing rod and a big bag of rice, marry a jungley buck-toothed woman and get back into the seasonal rhythms I knew from childhood... maybe even a mobile phone to check the seasonal rhythms on.  Let's see.

11 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Haha, fortunately, no. Most gun owners are just regular people & have one for their home, or shoot a few times a year for fun. I find some irony in the fact that areas with the highest gun restrictions, have the highest gun violence. It seems to reduce the amount of law abiding citizens that have them, not affecting the criminals (they don't have legal guns anyway). When you hear about gun death statistics in america, they fail to mention that most of those are someone commiting suicide with one.

There is very low crime where I am from; people know that they can't break into your house late at night to rob you, without potential consequence in the form of buckshot. If there ever is universal gun restriction that is successful, then people (criminals) will just smuggle them (like in all countries that they are banned), or go back to using sharp/blunt objects. I personally do not think much about it, everyone gets so worked up on both sides of the spectrum. I enjoy the freedom to protect my home effectively, but take it for granted most of the time, I rarely shoot. 

Didn't mean to get the thread off topic, by mentioning the mouth breathers over at hk forums lol

Yeah, this is true. I have encountered a few very crazy people, that seemed to have nothing to lose. I won't mention all of them, but I had one that was as bad as someone in the bird box movie lol. I was leaving an event in Reno,NV (first & last time there), we were behind someone that was holding up about 50 cars. His car was running, so it likely was not broken down. He didn't move for 5 min, the driver of our vehicle honked finally. A 40 year old red headed guy got out of the car and ran up with crazy eyes, bashing our window with his bare hands. He was punching it as hard as he could, you could see blood all over the window. He didn't break it, I just laughed, but I am glad someone like him wasn't packing heat lol. I learned after high school that your pride isn't worth dying over. Growing up, you could settle a dispute outside with someone in a gradeschool mutual combat ha. I have confronted people calling me out (over random dumb stuff, like accidently locking eye contact in public etc.) then seeing them pull out a knife or something. You never know what someone will do, it's not worth it imo. I saw a video of a guy who was confronted by two people at a gas station (did you disrespect me type of deal?!), he won the fight. Then the aggressors came back and shot him as he was driving away.. 

Well, if you go north of the border to Canada, gun regulations are very strict and gun violence is a tiny fraction of what it is in the US. The same is true for pretty much every other country with strict gun control. So sorry, but your theory is flat out wrong. Gun violence stems directly from ready availability of guns, especially guns which are owned for frivolous reasons. This should be obvious to anyone with half a brain, so I am assuming it is obvious to you as well, since you have taken the time to attack the intelligence of  "mouth breathers" on other forums who dared to disagree with you.

Zl0@Mokara I wouldn't talk back to @Snowbro. He has guns and knows how to use them!

@User I bet you 14CAD that we live in the most peaceful and less violent era in human history! Most people (like women, immigrants and minorities) couldn't even vote a few decades ago, the most profitable profession for thousands of years was slavery. Rape was just a common, everyday thing. In Europe, they were burning people because they were owning cats. You know what I mean, they didn't have internet back then!

11 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Zl0@Mokara I wouldn't talk back to @Snowbro. He has guns and knows how to use them!

@User I bet you 14CAD that we live in the most peaceful and less violent era in human history! Most people (like women, immigrants and minorities) couldn't even vote a few decades ago, the most profitable profession for thousands of years was slavery. Rape was just a common, everyday thing. In Europe, they were burning people because they were owning cats. You know what I mean, they didn't have internet back then!

Well, if he tries to cross the border with them they will be confiscated and he will be deported.

2 hours ago, Mokara said:

Well, if you go north of the border to Canada, gun regulations are very strict and gun violence is a tiny fraction of what it is in the US. The same is true for pretty much every other country with strict gun control. So sorry, but your theory is flat out wrong. Gun violence stems directly from ready availability of guns, especially guns which are owned for frivolous reasons. This should be obvious to anyone with half a brain, so I am assuming it is obvious to you as well, since you have taken the time to attack the intelligence of  "mouth breathers" on other forums who dared to disagree with you.

Here we were having a civilized, intelligent conversation, then you had to show up ?

It is clearly impossible to have a debate with someone, that enters a discussion spewing insults and taking words out of context. You are ignoring the fact that murders are still taking place (at high rates), regardless of if a gun is used or not. There are many countries with a much higher homicide rate than the US, where guns are banned.

Also, my "native" counties of Norway & Switzerland, have guns & their homicide rate is 3.3 times lower than Canada's; they are in the the top few countries for the lowest homicide/crime. See how naive cherry picking is? I already mentioned that there is much more to it, don't hyperfocus one detail so much, there are many aspects to such a complex social issue. 

Like I said a few times already, this is not a forum to debate such a thing. We do not agree, great. Let's get back to talking about cameras. 

3 minutes ago, kaylee said:

first i wasnt going to post this, bc this thread started really smart, but its falling fast. @Snowbro turns out there are some good canadians

I concur, it is never smart to generalize any group of people imo. Every country has a "Scott" lol. 

I dunno, I have seen a few stories lately on how American toddlers are shooting people pretty much weekly.

I have spent a bit of time on Face Book lately where some seemingly quite intelligent people seem to have very different "facts".

Many of the people here do also seem to be on DPR (I was but gave it up for my own good and now just read the comments on the news items with very occasional forum reads).

Since this thread has gotten so incredibly off track and random, I am just going to throw this out there: I ordered a camera from Adorama Sunday with next day air priority shipping. They created the shipping label, but two cutoff deadlines have passed. Called them and they said it would be shipped today, didn't apparently. I never had this issue with BH, I wonder if there is a bottleneck in their SCM. Maybe I will get it next week lol. 

24 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Since this thread has gotten so incredibly off track and random, I am just going to throw this out there: I ordered a camera from Adorama Sunday with next day air priority shipping. They created the shipping label, but two cutoff deadlines have passed. Called them and they said it would be shipped today, didn't apparently. I never had this issue with BH, I wonder if there is a bottleneck in their SCM. Maybe I will get it next week lol. 

My sister ordered a voucher for me for xmas online, and paid to have it delivered in next day express post.  That was about a week before xmas and it arrived after New Years day.  I think xmas consumerism is getting better / worse!!

1 minute ago, kye said:

My sister ordered a voucher for me for xmas online, and paid to have it delivered in next day express post.  That was about a week before xmas and it arrived after New Years day.  I think xmas consumerism is getting better / worse!!

Dang, that is bad. I think that camera stores do not scale their human capital, according to demand. It took over 2 weeks for BH to process a return during this same time, they normally do it in a day. 

16 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Dang, that is bad. I think that camera stores do not scale their human capital, according to demand. It took over 2 weeks for BH to process a return during this same time, they normally do it in a day. 

I suspect you're right about them not scaling up.  In a sense delays are inevitable, with the combination of goods getting cheaper and people buying more, and a faster pace of life with less planning combining with deliveries getting faster, and you've got the perfect recipe for a very intense and short spike in activity.  If everywhere resourced up to meet that need you might need to have zero unemployment and everyone working 20-hour days for a week or so to compensate!

2 hours ago, Snowbro said:

yeah thats weird as heck, i would think theyd have an army of staff for the holidays. always had great, fast customer service from them!

6 minutes ago, kaylee said:

yeah thats weird as heck, i would think theyd have an army of staff for the holidays. always had great, fast customer service from them!

Yeah but B&H just flats shuts down on Jewish Holidays and the Sabath. So Nothing gets done at all at a hot time of the year for orders, returns for periods of time..

10 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Yes, this is statistically true. But my comment was more towards finding a way forward and towards a life with meaning that is financially sustainable.

I'm doing doc film - which I love - but it's pretty much a vow of poverty. Not to completely derail this thread but I'd be curious on how others here plan to keep their heads above the water in the years ahead?