how many space do you need for short/medium length/feature film?

Dan Wake

15 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah C300 has a true broadcast Codec if you need that. Some people like the output of the original C100 better. I know I do. But the mk II has a more modern look.

I've heard the C100 mk2 has a better image, but I haven't looked at comparisons. The flippy screen on the MK2 is cool. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I've heard the C100 mk2 has a better image, but I haven't looked at comparisons. The flippy screen on the MK2 is cool. 

Yes it has a better looking imagine but it is not filmic, cinematic looking. It is modern. I think it looks too blue looking. Starting at 8:15 color differences.

3 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

You can easily get away with a 3:1 ratio on narrative if you’re prepared, and rehearse. 

90 min x 3 = 270 min (3TB of 4k Raw). 

A 4tb external drive is $99. Get one extra for backing up.

Shooting ratios are highly personal and I think related to the personality of the director as well as the other factors.  

When my sister was in film school I helped on a number of sets and some directors loved horror and paid more attention to the fake blood than they did to the actors delivering dialog - I even saw a set where the actors messed up a take by saying their lines kind of wrong and wanted to go again but the director over-ruled them!  When my sister directed we often went to take 20, and there was one scene where a guy was delivering a 20s monologue and although we got a usable take around take 4, it was something like take 17 when he delivered the performance that ended up taking pride of place on his showreel.

My sister was interested in authentic and powerful drama through the quality of acting, and IIRC she'd rehearsed the script with the actors beforehand and changed awkward lines and optimised it before production, so although I think she was physically capable of making a film with 3:1 ratio, there was no way it was ever going to happen.

@Dan Wake if you're set on making a feature and don't want to make short films beforehand, then consider making a single scene from the film as a trial run.  That way you can trial the cast, crew, all the tech, and the entire workflow before you're betting the whole budget on it.  If all goes well then you can take the opportunity to optimise your setup and processes etc and can use the footage in the final film.  If it doesn't go well then you can make the required changes before going into production again.  It does mean that you have to plan two productions instead of one, but in all likelihood the lessons from the first shoot will help you so much when you're doing the second that they will more than pay for themselves.  
Also, if by making the short you discover that your budget for the feature was inadequate then you can use the short to raise funding for the feature as you'll have shown you are capable of completing something and the investors will be able to have a taste of what they'll get at the end, which is more than most films are able to show potential investors.

what brand and size of harddrive do you guys use for storage ?

i am setting up a new pc and don't know what hd to buy for storage. just ordered a wd black 2to as it was on sale on amazon but i know it will not be enough.

i have a nas for storage. for work i have a m2 1to 970 ssd

I buy whatever is cheapest and just make sure it's fully backed up.  Also, keep your backup drive disconnected from your computer in case you get one of those viruses that lock up your data.  You should also keep your backup in a different location to keep it safe from fire or theft.

In having said that though, what was cheapest tends to remain cheapest and so as I've needed more space I've bought similar drives in anticipation of creating a RAID at some point in the future.