From 6d to GH3, is it worth it?

Kangaroo

Hi! 

I'm currently using a 6d for both photo and video, nothing professional and I've found a very good deal on Gh3. The 6d would still be used for photos because it's all I need but the videos always feels a bit too mushy, I like the color and the FF look but in the last few years I've seen so many videos from other cameras that I would really love to have a clean and crisp image. I was considering the gx85 but I'll be shooting only 1080p and the gh3 should be better in this regard. So I was wondering if the gap would be actually huge or if it would just be a minor upgrade. I've seen a few samples from a guy on yt that is still using the gh3 and to me it's pretty amazing but maybe I should just work more with the camera that I have. 

Also, the pre amp on the gh3 should be much better right? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Shooting 4K and downscaling in post is a pretty good way of getting high quality 1080p, and it may record in a higher bitrate too.

I have done image quality comparisons of different resolutions given the same file size, and you're normally better off with the higher resolution, so even if the camera shoots the same bitrate for 1080 and 4K, you'd still be better with the 4K file.

4 hours ago, kye said:

Shooting 4K and downscaling in post is a pretty good way of getting high quality 1080p, and it may record in a higher bitrate too.

I have done image quality comparisons of different resolutions given the same file size, and you're normally better off with the higher resolution, so even if the camera shoots the same bitrate for 1080 and 4K, you'd still be better with the 4K file.

Yeah I know but I don't want to shot 4k and downscaling everytime :(

5 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Nigel Barros? GH3 probably has better 1080 than any canon DSLR. Audio Pre amp should be better but remember its not to the level of the GH5.

The only drawback is the GH3 is total ass in lowlight.

Yes, Nigel!

It's worst than the gh2 in low light? 

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Buy a G7, better camera and it has 4K. Probably same money. You can find them for less than 400 bucks. I Never liked my GH3. Liked the G7. I would rather have a hacked GH2 than a GH3 anyday.

I could get the gh3 for less than 200 bucks plus the gh3 it's rugged >_>

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The benefit of the GX85 is IBIS. 

I know but from what I've seen it's not that great 

3 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I mean its not like the downscaling will give more work. It will only offer you better flexibility and image quality. Also just something to think about, a hybrid camera that shoots 4K will have a higher resale value going to into the future. 

I had a GH3 and got rid of it pretty quickly. It was nice to use but the HD quality was pretty mediocre and resolution wise not true HD and looked more like 720p upscaled to HD. 4k-HD is  the way to go and most good NLE's will allow you to work in an HD timeline with 4k material so you have no need to do any manual downscaling. 

I'd say, for your usage is better to go with GH3. Far better build, battery last forever and is the same for GH4-5, clip codec and container is readable in all video editor (GH2 clips you have to convert for using in Resolve).

Although, image quality from last Panasonic-made (multiaspect) sensor used in GH2 is nicer, more pleasant, more "organic," less crop (x1.86 instead x2) less sharpened with great hack variation contributions.

But, all in all as workhorse tool, GH3 is more modern as multi purpose and more robust camera.  Codes is also pretty solid and well matched with vintage lenses.

@Kangaroo the g7 is the way to go, out of the cameras mentioned. I shoot on an a6500 and like others have said downscaling isn’t any more work than dragging your footage into the timeline. I use resolve so it automatically downscales my footage to match my project. And you get super sharp 1080p footage. 

8 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

I mean its not like the downscaling will give more work. It will only offer you better flexibility and image quality. Also just something to think about, a hybrid camera that shoots 4K will have a higher resale value going to into the future. 

11 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I could get the gh3 for less than 200 bucks plus the gh3 it's rugged >_>

Buy a C100 if you want good down scaled 1080 from 4K. It does it automatically.

Probably a reason you can buy it that cheap. Nobody wants one! ?

I guess I’ll be the first to ask... what lenses will you be using? Since you’re used to FF, that 2X crop may feel a little limiting. Sure there are speedboosters to help with the field of view but it’s still not FF. 

With that being said, I really like the image from the GH3 and the price seems great. I’ve even seen some videos online where filmmakers will use the GH3 as a B-Cam to their C100. The C100 would be a great choice too if you have a bigger budget... which isn’t that much if you consider what you’re getting.

The original BMPCCs are selling for next to nothing... so also a consideration.

I guess take a look at the a6000 for good 1080p... you can get them new for not much more than a used GH3.

To add... or ask... what type of video work do you plan on doing?

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I shot plenty of docs on the gx85 for TV broadcast on PBS.

Very cool. Are there any online, I’d love to see how the GX85 holds up. 

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I shot plenty of docs on the gx85 for TV broadcast on PBS.

Would recommend. 

BTW, shot 4K and mastered in 1080. It's perfectly effortless to do. 

Whats your editing platform?

My goal is to build a small rig with decent IQ, the gx85 was one of the first thing that came to my mind but it does not have a mic input, I could buy an external recorder but it would not be so little in the end and it would cost me twice the price of the gh3. Also the IBIS looks really weak from the sample I've seen ?

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

I guess I’ll be the first to ask... what lenses will you be using? Since you’re used to FF, that 2X crop may feel a little limiting. Sure there are speedboosters to help with the field of view but it’s still not FF. 

With that being said, I really like the image from the GH3 and the price seems great. I’ve even seen some videos online where filmmakers will use the GH3 as a B-Cam to their C100. The C100 would be a great choice too if you have a bigger budget... which isn’t that much if you consider what you’re getting.

The original BMPCCs are selling for next to nothing... so also a consideration.

I guess take a look at the a6000 for good 1080p... you can get them new for not much more than a used GH3.

To add... or ask... what type of video work do you plan on doing?

The BMPCC is just too much to handle, I would like something more simple and practical, I've tried the a6000 from a friend but I haven't enjoyed it much plus not headphone input. I think that I'll use the 20mm 1.7 for most of the time. The usage would be personal work and youtube so nothing crazy, that's why I'm going cheap

16 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

My goal is to build a small rig with decent IQ, the gx85 was one of the first thing that came to my mind but it does not have a mic input, I could buy an external recorder but it would not be so little in the end and it would cost me twice the price of the gh3. Also the IBIS looks really weak from the sample I've seen ?

The BMPCC is just too much to handle, I would like something more simple and practical, I've tried the a6000 from a friend but I haven't enjoyed it much plus not headphone input. I think that I'll use the 20mm 1.7 for most of the time. The usage would be personal work and youtube so nothing crazy, that's why I'm going cheap

GH3 also look at the G6. Neither are a bad option. Coupled with an Olympus 17mm 1.8 and you have a pretty good all purpose setup. 

The IBIS on the GX85 is quite good. Anything under 50mm works pretty well. As long as you are keeping it pretty steady. Not something you can just walk around with though.

24 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

Since I read this post, I watched a few GH3 videos online and the quality is pretty damn good for a 6 year old camera. Really, it is all most of the people on this forum need. 4K is nice. IBIS is awesome. But for a barebones quality 1080p image... the GH3 has it. And man is the price right. 

I’ve never used the Panny 20mm but I have used the Olympus 17mm 1.8 and man is that a nice little lens.

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

Since I read this post, I watched a few GH3 videos online and the quality is pretty damn good for a 6 year old camera. Really, it is all most of the people on this forum need. 4K is nice. IBIS is awesome. But for a barebones quality 1080p image... the GH3 has it. And man is the price right. 

I’ve never used the Panny 20mm but I have used the Olympus 17mm 1.8 and man is that a nice little lens.

The manual focus on it is really awesome. I wish more lenses were built like that.