Nikon Z6 AF Confirmed Not Working with NLog

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

OK thanks for the answer ! Fingers crossed for the firmware update.

Yes with the filmaker's kit they should see that it doesn't work and better fix it because it makes no sense especially if someone (content creator) buys it only to find out that video AF sucks when connect to the monitor and shooting 10bit Nlog. Frankly, I much rather prefer the good video AF and Nlog over the ProRes Raw, it's just a nice to have if you ask me. Otherwise I will be looking at Sony's A7S III when it comes out. I am not holding my breath on the Panasonic's S1 video AF. So Nikon, get video AF on 10bit Nlog working and I will be a happy camper!

46 minutes ago, Django said:

wait is continuous eye-AF supposed to come to video as well? now that could be huge if done right!

Like you that's what I'm asking myself too. They are talking about video AF and he talks about eye-AF coming, does that mean also available in video? Do it Nikon!

Getting back to bad AF when recording N-Log (externally, of course)...

Has anyone tried recording both N-Log externally AND 8-bit internally at the same time and seen if that makes a difference at all in the AF performance of the Z6???

This might just be grasping at straws. However, I thought I heard somewhere that the a7 III had an issue where AF performance suffered when recording externally unless an internal capture was also made. And since it's a sony sensor in the Z6, maybe they have similar quirks???

But I don't remember where I read that, and it might have just come from some lucid dreaming on my part after a night of "all you can eat tacos" at our local Mexican restaurant...

53 minutes ago, Lenscamera said:

This guys is not having the same problems we are having, how come? It looks like he has Nlog on. 

If you look at the video from 7.25 (posted below) you can see that he is experiencing the exact same issue with hunting. Also the tracking is pretty piss poor. Now keep in mind I have been shooting Canon and also shoot Sony. So I am accustomed to some pretty dam good AF. But if this is "usable" by your standards, then good luck with that. But for my use, I would never trust this camera to perform well in regards to AF with N-Log enabled.... YMMV.

17 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Hmmm... I guess I assumed it would at least have a lower-res internal proxy recording ability... I know this other brand of cameras that everyone hates has it...

If you mean the Canon EOS R it cannot output 10 bit C-Log whilst recording internally. IIRC, neither can the Nikon.

5 minutes ago, DBounce said:

If you look at the video from 7.25 (posted below) you can see that he is experiencing the exact same issue with hunting. Also the tracking is pretty piss poor. Now keep in mind I have been shooting Canon and also shoot Sony. So I am accustomed to some pretty dam good AF. But if this is "usable" by your standards, then good luck with that. But for my use, I would never trust this camera to perform well in regards to AF with N-Log enabled.... YMMV.

If you mean the Canon EOS R it cannot output 10 bit C-Log whilst recording internally. IIRC, neither can the Nikon.

I experienced a lot worse with my Z 6 than he did and yes it does hunt but mine is just piss poor. And I did my test in 1080 24p not even 4k! The AF-F with mine didn't work most of the time. I had to use the back button AF to get it to focus. I will not use mine either with AF and Nlog, but comparing mine to his AF performance with Nlog and 10bit, it looks like his is almost usable. I guess I could have added that it does hunt a little. I have had the A7III for 2 months and used the Canon 5D IV for a week so I have some reference in term of AF performance from other competitors to compare the Z 6 with.

10 minutes ago, Lenscamera said:

:)  No... I mean the OTHER camera company... you know... the one that EVERYONE hates. The one where if you say, "I don't know, my camera seems to take ok pictures," people call you a raging fanboy.

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

:)  No... I mean the OTHER camera company... you know... the one that EVERYONE hates. The one where if you say, "I don't know, my camera seems to take ok pictures," people call you a raging fanboy.

I must be out of the loop on this one. There’s no company I hate... though I dislike the feature omissions that are frequently performed by many companies. I’m guessing maybe Panasonic. I think the GH5/S can do this... though they are not full frame.

23 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I must be out of the loop on this one. There’s no company I hate... though I dislike the feature omissions that are frequently performed by many companies. I’m guessing maybe Panasonic. I think the GH5/S can do this... though they are not full frame.

Just saying that Sony cameras can do this, and in fact, if you don't turn on internal proxy recording while recording externally, you lose some functionality.