EOSHD's best and worst cameras of 2018

Andrew Reid

Just now, Snowbro said:

How was it possible there have been no posts about this here?? 5DIV is up & running with magic lantern raw?!

Well now we know magic lantern does not brick the camera. So now def the time users can step up and test.

- [extremely easy] find out whether photo capture works (this didn't work from FIR; just try the intervalometer sample code)
- [extremely easy] play around with FPS and resolution overriding registers; document what works and what not
- [easy, important] update the codebase to 1.1.2 (easy coding tutorial following task, still open, can be debugged in QEMU)
- [easy] log various things in Canon firmware (such as photo capture, entering LiveView); the digic6-dumper branch has logging enabled by default.
- [moderate, important] figure out how to print things on the screen (look up 5DS experiments, posts from Ant123 and read the CHDK threads on this topic)
- [moderate?] fix the emulator to run these things properly
- [moderate?] port io_trace to ARMv7 (can be debugged in QEMU)
- [moderate] try to understand the communication between the two cores (main and AE)
- [hard] understand the Omar secondary core (it appears to handle the image capture pipeline) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The EOS-R is proof that mirrorless wasn't totally obsolete. Nikon also made a really good camera but it didn't reach all the way.

Fuji's top release was the X-E3

A7iii was the "Meh" of the year.

Looking forward to 2019 and the release of 2018s biggest announcement, the GRiii.

L O L.

Once hybrid tools are the logic behind this community I don't see anything bad on this list so cameras like Z cam E2 have trouble to overcome their own market segment, even though no camera beats the honorable mention added there, reason why that honor dock also has its place. I even much appreciate Andrew's eye and doesn't seem to me rather important that or other order less or more randomly to speak frankly. Nice to know I am not alone to the arrival over similar findings.

I just feel to note IMHO, P4K is the best camera not only to be part of a year's top list, but ever designed and produced so far.

I'd also drop my bell to attribute a 2nd honor medal for the Osmo Pocket. No other tool had offered such thing in the camera history.

Two game changers.

The hybrids are far away to be. Let's not forget GH5 did it a year earlier.

That said, hope no one may end as unlucky to receive Fujis from same batch of @DBounce's units.

Just my 0.2 cents,

Emanuel : -)

2 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Well now we know magic lantern does not brick the camera. So now def the time users can step up and test.

- [extremely easy] find out whether photo capture works (this didn't work from FIR; just try the intervalometer sample code)
- [extremely easy] play around with FPS and resolution overriding registers; document what works and what not
- [easy, important] update the codebase to 1.1.2 (easy coding tutorial following task, still open, can be debugged in QEMU)
- [easy] log various things in Canon firmware (such as photo capture, entering LiveView); the digic6-dumper branch has logging enabled by default.
- [moderate, important] figure out how to print things on the screen (look up 5DS experiments, posts from Ant123 and read the CHDK threads on this topic)
- [moderate?] fix the emulator to run these things properly
- [moderate?] port io_trace to ARMv7 (can be debugged in QEMU)
- [moderate] try to understand the communication between the two cores (main and AE)
- [hard] understand the Omar secondary core (it appears to handle the image capture pipeline) 

^^^^^^ lets do this guys!!! im too dumb, and poor – i admit it! so step it up yall!!! ?

the camera i liked most this year was definitely the xt3... might pick up a used one in the future to play around with ?

canon apparently *cant*  make a camera anything like that. theyre a frickin hot mess. the eos-r is a frankencamera piece of garbage. sorry not sorry, looking at that thing makes me think their engineers are on hallucinogens

update: guys im not sure but i think hitler might have killed himself over the eos-r

tumblr_pkqhoyr8Xp1xiag8io1_1280.png

1 hour ago, kaylee said:

^^^^^^ lets do this guys!!! im too dumb, and poor – i admit it! so step it up yall!!! ?

the camera i liked most this year was definitely the xt3... might pick up a used one in the future to play around with ?

canon apparently *cant*  make a camera anything like that. theyre a frickin hot mess. the eos-r is a frankencamera piece of garbage. sorry not sorry, looking at that thing makes me think their engineers are on hallucinogens

update: guys im not sure but i think hitler might have killed himself over the eos-r

The Canon downfall parodies on youtube are amusing. ?

14 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

IMO,

The EOS-R is proof that mirrorless wasn't totally obsolete. Nikon also made a really good camera but it didn't reach all the way.

Fuji's top release was the X-E3

A7iii was the "Meh" of the year.

The BMPCC4K is obviously the BMCCii, and thus a bit late to the party.

Looking forward to 2019 and the release of 2018s biggest announcement, the GRiii.

Let's hope the GRiii isn't going to be one of the biggest disappointments of 2019 like the GRii was when it was announced. The new lens in the GRiii with fewer elements makes me a bit worried. 

17 hours ago, frontfocus said:

best? No. It's one of the sharpest though

yes. Nice backscreen. Better than the A7III

yes

and mediocre autofocus for stills. For AF-C I'd even call it bad

with just one card slot and that one is XQD. Won't buy

no. It's autofocus is years behind the Sony and so is the continous stills shooting experience. It got one card slot which makes it useless to some. It has no option for a batterygrip yet and the list goes on. And no, I am no huge fan of the Sony, but for hybrid shooters I feel the Sony is the much better option. 

My coffee machine has better AF-C than the Nikon

? ? ?

I hope your coffee machine can do actions photos like that. Care to give me the brand please so I can dish all my cameras. I prefer to take advise from actual professional than youtubers and website who never ever have any practical shooting experience and will spend one day with a completely new camera. Thtas his setting and feeling about z6 https://www.facebook.com/groups/NikonMirrorless/permalink/462911304234806/?comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"O"}

Here is another shoot with his account https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4340957

I am sure that your coffee machine can also be used in the staples center to photograph Lebron. below is the account of the shooter, a known sport shooter and not some random dude on the youtube or those dpreview guy that can't even shoot outside of test chart.

https://www.facebook.com/robert.hanashiro/media_set?set=a.10156360392953025&type=3

Nikon z6 Metallica  , and his account on the Af in challenging lights  https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4343245#forum-post-61973980

2 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Canon camera with up to date specs bc of ML, don't hold your breath...

I will blow everything below 10k out of the water when it works. A Full frame RAW shooter that does 13.6 EV stops of DR. The mavo LF is the nearest camera to it but that one is 12K body only. (well 4K 60fps will not be possible I guess, but I am happy with just 1080p 60fps but 24/25fps is still the goto framerate)

3 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I will blow everything below 10k out of the water when it works. A Full frame RAW shooter that does 13.6 EV stops of DR. The mavo LF is the nearest camera to it but that one is 12K body only. (well 4K 60fps will not be possible I guess, but I am happy with just 1080p 60fps but 24/25fps is still the goto framerate)

Will it cure the rolling shutter and crop, if not, it will still be more of a gimmick than a true pro camera. Now when you have a 6K USD BM ursa mini pro with BM new compress raw format, you would get back the difference in money in less than 1 year. You could also get the C200.

1 minute ago, Danyyyel said:

Will it cure the rolling shutter and crop, if not, it will still be more of a gimmick than a true pro camera. Now when you have a 6K USD BM ursa mini pro with BM new compress raw format, you would get back the difference in money in less than 1 year. You could also get the C200.

I already have a Ursa mini pro, and yes on paying jobs where the client is on set, I would probably take the UMP. But for my own shortfilms, I def would use the 5D IV RAW, I loved the 5D III RAW, only thing I missed on that camera was 60fps 1080p and also the dynamic range sucked. Depending if they can indeed remove the crop, but pretty sure they can as they are just dumping the RAW readout files onto the cards. (rolling shutter not sure, I guess it will be still the same)

EOS R certainly wins most hated camera of 2018 award!

Yet despite it's on paper limitations and for sure poor 4K RS performance, its a camera I very much enjoy shooting with.. and the perfect B-cam to a 5D/1DX/C100/C200.

Canon did get a few things right:  the only FF MILC with a flip out screen, the FF MILC with the highest bitrate ALL-I codec, the most reliable and smoothest AF in the game. Those 3 things alone should give it some points. The IQ as stated is indeed just cinematic. That word gets thrown around a lot but the reason it applies here is thanks to the thick codec, alongside 1:1 resolution and lack of digital sharpness on default in C-log, paired with the acclaimed Canon color science.

Then you have the smaller things: Smart EIS, 3 custom movie modes, custom ring lens control, MF bar (works for me personally), touch & drag AF, MF focus guide, AF override..etc

Finally when the Vari ND adapter will become available.. well that could just be a game changer.

Now i do understand, none of this makes up for the poor RS or severe crop factor. So yeah dog this camera all you want if those 2 are deal breakers to you.

Just wanted to add some perspective as one of the very few owners of this camera around here. And FWIW i do think Fuji, Nikon, BM & Sony have all kicked it out of the park much further than Canon and certainly deserve the praise. 

Happy NY everyone ?

52 minutes ago, Django said:

EOS R certainly wins most hated camera of 2018 award!

Yet despite it's on paper limitations and for sure poor 4K RS performance, its a camera I very much enjoy shooting with.. and the perfect B-cam to a 5D/1DX/C100/C200.

Canon did get a few things right:  the only FF MILC with a flip out screen, the FF MILC with the highest bitrate ALL-I codec, the most reliable and smoothest AF in the game. Those 3 things alone should give it some points. The IQ as stated is indeed just cinematic. That word gets thrown around a lot but the reason it applies here is thanks to the thick codec, alongside 1:1 resolution and lack of digital sharpness on default in C-log, paired with the acclaimed Canon color science.

Then you have the smaller things: Smart EIS, 3 custom movie modes, custom ring lens control, MF bar (works for me personally), touch & drag AF, MF focus guide, AF override..etc

Finally when the Vari ND adapter will become available.. well that could just be a game changer.

Now i do understand, none of this makes up for the poor RS or severe crop factor. So yeah dog this camera all you want if those 2 are deal breakers to you.

Just wanted to add some perspective as one of the very few owners of this camera around here. And FWIW i do think Fuji, Nikon, BM & Sony have all kicked it out of the park much further than Canon and certainly deserve the praise. 

Happy NY everyone ?

The problem is that the limitations of this camera are not just RS and crop. Even in stills it's far behind Sony sensor. No IBIS is a deal breaker as well. 
Canon will soon release a pro level EOS R with no crop 4K and IBIS but it's gonna be 3.5K and at that time all FF cameras will do 4K60P 10 bit and canon will be far behind again. 

2 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

The problem is that the limitations of this camera are not just RS and crop. Even in stills it's far behind Sony sensor. No IBIS is a deal breaker as well. 
Canon will soon release a pro level EOS R with no crop 4K and IBIS but it's gonna be 3.5K and at that time all FF cameras will do 4K60P 10 bit and canon will be far behind again. 

I seriously doubt the "soon" part of your statement.

18 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Well, there is always something better coming around the corner, I try and not obsess much over that or else you're just chasing the dream. As a working pro my only concern is what tool fits my needs now. I'm invested in a system, and i don't intend on switching everytime the competition drops a newer, better body. When Canon drops that pro body you're talking about well I'll upgrade to it, simple as that. 

Limitations, i try and work around them, every camera has its strengths & weaknesses. IBIS is neat, however, we got along fine before it and no cine cam even uses it to this day. I'd hardly call it a deal breaker even if its a nice convenience. Canon's smart EIS (using gyroscope & 2 way lens IS com data) is a workable alternative & might even prove to be better in some cases.

For stills,  i look at the system as a whole: lenses, color science, ergonomics, AF, flash options etc.. that is what is going to get me the picture I want, not a sensor/chart comparison. Yeah Sony sensors are the best, but I still prefer what Fuji & Nikon do with them.. YMMV.