EOSHD's best and worst cameras of 2018

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

DSC00007.jpg

Here's my top 5 cameras of 2018.

Of course we all know "there's no such thing as a 'bad' camera" any more but there is such a thing as a dull, boring rip off. Then there's the stuff that has a shelf life of a few months, that you just know is a stepping stone before the real deal arrives. In many ways 2018 was a good year to keep hold of what you have and wait for the dust to settle. An eventful one for technology, especially in the second half where we saw some glimpses of the future. In 2018 we had six truly great cameras for filmmakers and a few that didn't make my top list like the RX100 VI but which are nevertheless still useful in one way or another.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

IMO,

The EOS-R is proof that mirrorless wasn't totally obsolete. Nikon also made a really good camera but it didn't reach all the way.

Fuji's top release was the X-E3

A7iii was the "Meh" of the year.

The BMPCC4K is obviously the BMCCii, and thus a bit late to the party.

Looking forward to 2019 and the release of 2018s biggest announcement, the GRiii.

From a hybrid shooters perspective I agree, the X-T3, A7III and X-H1 were great. Combined they would be even better, but that's not in the cards. (X-H1 Body and IBIS, X-T3 Specs, Color and pricing and A7III sensor size and battery)
Nikon made a nice attempt but for me it feels like catching up with 2 year old cameras and not matching what is available today. 
Canon? They pulled a classic canon. Underperform and overcharge. But they lenses do look nice. Canon has always been a great lens manufacturers, their cameras where what you had to use to use those lenses. 

I am really looking forward at what Olympus introduces in 2019, in 2018 they were missing. Seems like their market share is falling drastically ?

31 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

Nikon made a nice attempt but for me it feels like catching up with 2 year old cameras and not matching what is available today. 
?

Sincerely, best evf and back screen for most, very very good Full frame IBIS, very very good video autofocus, outstanding body construction (lensrental rivaling best DSLR ones), 10 bit and log. What did you expect, it beats the A73 in everything except native lens choice (The adapted Nikon lens are still very good on the body). I don't what some people expected, perhaps a coffee machine option. The only body that would beat it depending if you want better slowmotion and internal 10 bit is the Fuji XT3. Now if for you IBIS and better low light is more important and the FF look, then the Nikon would win. As for the Sony, when the next one comes out, then we can compare to the z6, because for now the z6 is in every way better.

Good article Andrew.  I would like to see you also do an article that is your current top cameras, regardless of release date.  I'm sure you'd provide some interesting commentary and some inclusions from previous years that are still holding their own against the newest releases.  It would be of real value to those who are in the market too.

1 hour ago, Danyyyel said:

best evf

best? No. It's one of the sharpest though

and back screen

yes. Nice backscreen. Better than the A7III

very very good Full frame IBIS

yes

very very good video autofocus

and mediocre autofocus for stills. For AF-C I'd even call it bad

outstanding body construction (lensrental rivaling best DSLR ones)

with just one card slot and that one is XQD. Won't buy

it beats the A73 in everything except native lens choice

no. It's autofocus is years behind the Sony and so is the continous stills shooting experience. It got one card slot which makes it useless to some. It has no option for a batterygrip yet and the list goes on. And no, I am no huge fan of the Sony, but for hybrid shooters I feel the Sony is the much better option. 

I don't what some people expected, perhaps a coffee machine option

My coffee machine has better AF-C than the Nikon

As for the Sony, when the next one comes out, then we can compare to the z6, because for now the z6 is in every way better.

? ? ?

• Super Members

A few of my 2018 winners would be :

"Signpost Award" Insta 360 One X, not for its actual 360 necessarily but for pointing the way to how much that omni-capture can bring to the table in terms of stabilisation and re-framing for regular flat content. I picked one up just before Christmas and whilst its not my first rodeo when it comes to 360 cameras, its the first one that has really delivered on the shoot now frame later concept. Don't get me wrong, it is full of flaws but it is very close to being there for being the first choice leisure/travel/vlogging camera for a lot of people. It doesn't take much imagination to consider the possibilities for other type of film making as well if manufacturers like Pansonic, Fuji, Sony etc were so inclined.

"Hannibal Lecter Award" Fuji for cannibalising sales of its video centric X-H1 by having better video specs on the X-T3. 

"Bob Marley Award" Jointly won by Sony for making everyone Wait In Vain for the A7Siii and Blackmagic for the Pocket 4K batteries Jamming.

"Horticultural Award" The Blackmagic Pocket 4K for sprouting more plants than the Chelsea Flower Show in this forum in September.

10 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

A few of my 2018 winners would be :

"Signpost Award" Insta 360 One X, not for its actual 360 necessarily but for pointing the way to how much that omni-capture can bring to the table in terms of stabilisation and re-framing for regular flat content. I picked one up just before Christmas and whilst its not my first rodeo when it comes to 360 cameras, its the first one that has really delivered on the shoot now frame later concept. Don't get me wrong, it is full of flaws but it is very close to being there for being the first choice leisure/travel/vlogging camera for a lot of people. It doesn't take much imagination to consider the possibilities for other type of film making as well if manufacturers like Pansonic, Fuji, Sony etc were so inclined.

"Hannibal Lecter Award" Fuji for cannibalising sales of its video centric X-H1 by having better video specs on the X-T3. 

"Bob Marley Award" Jointly won by Sony for making everyone Wait In Vain for the A7Siii and Blackmagic for the Pocket 4K batteries Jamming.

"Horticultural Award" The Blackmagic Pocket 4K for sprouting more plants than the Chelsea Flower Show in this forum in September.

I am quoting just for everyone to re-read this great post.

Insta was in my shopping list for Christmas also, but finally I went full DJI (Ronin S/Mavic 2 Pro).

People praising the little Osmo camera but Insta is closer to the future than that.

• Super Members
Just now, Kisaha said:

People praising the little Osmo camera but Insta is closer to the future than that.

Yeah, I think if you approach it in the way that you aren't going to be shooting some high end production on it then I definitely think that it has more about it for casual use.

We were on a bobsleigh run a few days ago (on rails but still scary enough for me thanks!) and to be able to just hold the camera and then create a really dynamic faux multi-camera piece from it on an iPad straight after in any number of formats or extract stills or just keep it as a 360 piece is incredible really and a ton of fun.

You can do a similar-ish thing with the Pocket but you'd have to be choosing the camera orientation points on the fly which are not only destructive but also pretty difficult to pull off while you are screaming and making sure you don't soil your undies !

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I had the little Osmo camera for a week, it sucked. The gimbal part was ok, as was the active tracking when it worked correctly, but the sensor itself was awful- every shot, something was either blown out or too dark.

I do not know the others, but came from another winner the NX1. I have the X-T3 since a few weeks and I am really impressed about filming with the Fuji. Only the size and feeling in hands, battery life ... NX1 still winner. The X-T3 produces colourfull footage also when there is less light. I filmed recently at 'Winter Efteling' in the Netherlands, most shots during evening and even night. Very colourfull and even at ISO 6400 good. For (professional) photography I think perfect... for me ;-)