which are pros and cons of proxy video: editing, color correction, color grade and crop

Dan Wake

hi I need info on proxy video please. can you do all editing techniques? is it possibile to do all the color correction, color grade and crop techiques? is it compatible with all video formats as for example pro res 10 bit, hdr, raw video, high speed frame rate?

which are limitations, pros and cons?

thx and happy new year!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Grimor said:

The only "pro" is that you'll get a fluid preview-playback during editing. 

And it's a must on older PCs.

thx for reply, and can you do all the features on proxy as crop (that will reflect on the original file when exporting), color correction/grading, raw video editing?

A proxy workflow is what you make of it. Essentially, you create an exact copy of your entire project in a format that plays back smoother on your system. At any time, you can toggle between using the "online" media and the "offline" media. If you wish, you can do ALL your post production on the proxies (editing, color, sound), and only toggle back to online media for the final export. Or, you can do some editing, switch to online media, do some color, switch back to proxies, do more editing, switch back to online media, edit more--etc. Or you could use proxies to edit, switch back to online media for color correction and export, and never use the proxies again.

On the other extreme, you can do a proxy workflow where you never switch back to the online media, but then it's called transcoding.

You can make proxies for any format. You can even make your proxies BE in any format. You can make HD ProRes proxies for 8k 10 bit H.265 footage, or 4k H.265 proxies for an HD ProRes project (not sure why you would want to though...).

That's all quite abstract, though. In practice, proxy capabilities depend on which software you are using, especially if you are using the builtin proxy generator. In Resolve, if you use Optimized Media (essentially, proxies) you can switch between optimized and original media at any time, like I described. However, you are limited in the formats that you can make proxies in, and I've often found that Resolve "loses" optimized media all the time. Personally, I make proxies in ffmpeg, and manually switch out which files my timeline uses. That way I have maximum control over the proxy format, and can easily troubleshoot problems.

A decent workflow should allow you to do crops/reframing and variable framerates without issue, but it depends on the software you use.

In general, the only pro is smoother playback while editing. However, proxies are also a huge benefit if you have a remote editor and need to send files over slow internet connections. My 500 GB project is only 10 GB in proxy form. I can use Google drive to send the entire project to an editor, and all they have to send me in return is an XML.

Cons are a messier workflow, having files become unlinked if your workflow is not perfect, tons of headaches. But all of those problems can be avoided if you know what you are doing, and rigorously test your workflow before using it on a project.

If you have small shorts, or little clips I don't think Proxies are worth the effort.  It is when you shoot long takes, or entire projects you really don't have much choice. Just make damn sure you have the files backed up first. Anything can happen when you edit. One wrong button push, Yikes! You can buy old HDD for peanuts these days to back stuff up. Takes awhile on them but..

I built my own monster PC a few years ago. My setup is still modern but I use proxies nonetheless because the PC can't keep up with complex 4k/6k project with a lot of effects and grading. I can't tell you for sure 100% if working with proxy files is as good as original file in terms of color correction but in my experience, I haven't noticed anything wrong in my workflow. I use proxy all the time for project with 4k resolution or higher.

The only limitation is that it may take time to render the proxies if you have a lot of files. Usually I launch the proxy rendering at night before going to bed and everything is ready in the morning.

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

There is a slight loss overall when you do it, but if you have an older PC, Mac you don't have any choice. Pretty simple as that. When you win the Lotto you can buy a $30,000.00 editing kit like @Emanuel has LoL. He is not in the picture, he went to get his Caviar and Brandy. ?

5editing.jpg

LOL Don : ) Sure, still in the hangover of last night : D

Well, take a look in the one I bought to handle the proxies : P

image.thumb.png.67729eb9ab6f654b4570d2fc72f23387.png

Happy New Year!

E ; -)

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

LOL Don : ) Sure, still in the hangover of last night : D

Well, take a look in the one I bought to handle the proxies : P

image.thumb.png.67729eb9ab6f654b4570d2fc72f23387.png

Happy New Year!

E ; -)

I haven't had a drink of anything in over a month. Not even last night. Stayed home and watched the ball drop on the web. Too old to drive at night anymore LoL. Not an Apple iPad Pro? I thought you were poor? ?

In addition to the excellent comments from @KnightsFan above, proxies have cons for colour grading and VFX.

The pros warn against doing colour correction and grading on proxies because they're not an exact colour match to the original footage.  Also, if you're doing any tracking then you'll want to do that on the original footage so that you get the best movement accuracy possible.  If you're tracking a grading window with a large soft edge then it might not be that important, but the harder the edge on a grading window or the stronger the adjustment the more chance it will be visible to the viewer.  For VFX, tracking accuracy is an absolute must, as if your compositing doesn't track perfectly with the scene then it can be quite obvious - human perception is a lot better than you'd think.  This is why for VFX work and green screening it's best to shoot RAW as it eliminates the pixel-level errors of compression.

In a practical sense, and if you're not doing huge budget work or VFX stuff, you can use lower resolution proxies to edit and do rough colour work, switching to the source media for final grading and if you're tracking any windows.  For my own projects, I will render out the final project and watch it through for any tweaks I want to do, then tweak and re-export.  This works if you have time to do so, but it depends on your schedule and level of attention to detail that your budget covers :)

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I haven't had a drink of anything in over a month. Not even last night. Stayed home and watched the ball drop on the web. Too old to drive at night anymore LoL. Not an Apple iPad Pro? I thought you were poor? ?

Not exactly... But Thunderbolt.

https://mi.ingrammicro.com/_layouts/CommerceServer/IM/ProductDetails.aspx?id=MI01@@9600@@10@@8W3085

The "pro" that typically goes unmentioned, but I rather like, is the fact I can put all my source files, and all my proxies, on a single cheap ($99) external 4tb drive --and work easily with the proxies until the whole thing is about 90% complete. 

(I triplicate copy the drive for backup purposes)

This is really great for budget editing.  And, honestly, so much of editing work is perfectly viable with proxies.  A good editor is concentrating on storytelling, not pixel peeping technical stuff, so watching the most pristine  video during an edit is pretty irrelevant in my mind.

Heck, I'll even do the majority of the color grade with proxies. 

Only when I'm doing the final tweaks do I turn off proxies and really analyze what the colors look like with the camera source files. 

Even then, it's just minor tweaks. 

10 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

I've often found that Resolve "loses" optimized media all the time.

Did they ever fix this?  I was all set to go full-Resolve two years ago, but my test project crashed and burned during the "optimized media" stage and I just couldn't commit to the product. 

6 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

The "pro" that typically goes unmentioned, but I rather like, is the fact I can put all my source files, and all my proxies, on a single cheap ($99) external 4tb drive --and work easily with the proxies until the whole thing is about 90% complete. 

(I triplicate copy the drive for backup purposes)

This is really great for budget editing.  And, honestly, so much of editing work is perfectly viable with proxies.  A good editor is concentrating on storytelling, not pixel peeping technical stuff, so watching the most pristine  video during an edit is pretty irrelevant in my mind.

Heck, I'll even do the majority of the color grade with proxies. 

Only when I'm doing the final tweaks do I turn off proxies and really analyze what the colors look like with the camera source files. 

Even then, it's just minor tweaks. 

Did they ever fix this?  I was all set to go full-Resolve two years ago, but my test project crashed and burned during the "optimized media" stage and I just couldn't commit to the product. 

is it possible to create proxy raw video files? which max resolution could handle a normal external drive with those proxy raw video files? thx!