CineForm Raw and Cinema DNG converters now available for 5D Mark III raw

Andrew Reid

Just a straight conversion from raw to CineForm is my workflow. Then grade it in Resolve or Premiere as normal.

There's not really any in-between step that's necessary.

I see. I also noticed that when I open the CineForm files in Resolve, it looks pretty close to the raw DNG's with standard conversion in ACR. when I open them in quicktime everything looks dull.

But with this workflow, you don't have control over things like debayering. I noticed you can drag DNG sequences straight into CineForm Studio and then you have full control over the conversion, sharpness, noise reduction, etc. Will have to experiment with this...

When using CineForm 444 the compression is 'only' about 3.25:1 btw. At least I got 21.7 GB of .raw files and that converted to 6.66GB of CineForm 444 mov.

I might experiment with CineForm 422, that should work with the free version. Maybe could use that for quick projects/proxies and go the full CinemaDNG route in resolve if I want full control. $300 also buys me at least 6TB of HDD space.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sorry for my noob noob question... Could you be so gentle to write at a dummy level the steps to convert the raw file in cineform files? I've got the cineform free but I continue to get an error and the raw2gpcf quit. I'm on win8 i7 16GB 680m...

Is it possible the problem here (I've heard several people describe similar issues) is that they're attempting this using the free version?  I was under the impression that the free version does not include RAW output

An series of applied engineering questions.

To what extent can some form of "lossless conversion be done in camera before writing to storage?   Are any of the processors even close in power?     Suppose one were to substitute a relatively "lossless conversion" algorithm for the H264 compression now built in?   Is this possible?   Is the H264 algorithm in firmware or hardware?    Can it be intercepted in progress and made into camera output?   This applies to all the cameras with some form of ML raw.   

What about Nikon?    Apparently their DSL engine has a more public architecture?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unless I missed something thar raw2cfraw does not operate on Magic Lantern 5D3 RAW video files just .CR2 stills sequences.

I downloaded 5D III RAW sample ( DNG frame sequence folder) from here: http://neumannfilms.net/2013/05/21/red-epic5d3-raw-tests/

...and converted it with our RAW 4 PRO utility to CineformRAW just fine - see here: http://goo.gl/IU9qqJ

Sorry, I'm not closely following the developments - are there other raw formats 5D III saves video in? Where can I download some samples?

Unless I missed something thar raw2cfraw does not operate on Magic Lantern 5D3 RAW video files just .CR2 stills sequences.

I looked a bit further, and here it says that .raw "...files cannot currently be processed directly by any video editor.  Each RAW file encapsulates the frames in DNG format so we need to extract these frames first"

Source: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0

It then proceeds to explain how to extract DNG out of .raw

So then, that would be your step 1 in case of 5D Mk III - produced raw video.

Step 2 would be using RAW 2 CF RAW if you wish to get an easily viewable/editable video raw out of that DNG sequence. I do this a lot (albeit with BMCC's DNGs.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey, so we have removed all the limitations from the newest RAW 4 PRO EASY edition. It no longer requires an Internet connection, there's no registration, and it can be installed/reinstalled an unlimited number of times on your PCs. Truly easy. The ONLY converter with Cineform RAW output, sanctioned by Cineform.

I'd like to offer a discount code to EOSHD members: put EASY in the cart and apply coupon eoshd81off

This lowers the price from $110 all the way down to just $29.

Thanks for reading.