Auto Focus Testing Canon 1DXMK2 Vs Nikon Z6

DBounce

So I just shot 3500 images both Raw + JPEG with the Z6. Not sure what others are getting, but the battery still has a couple bars. I think the ratings are grossly underestimating the stamina of this camera. Also, from some video I recently shot at 4000 ISO, I can report that the low-light is very clean on the Z6. 

Still not sure what to make of the face detect AF. Nothing I try seems to redeem its dismal performance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, DBounce said:

So I just shot 3500 images both Raw + JPEG with the Z6. Not sure what others are getting, but the battery still has a couple bars. I think the ratings are grossly underestimating the stamina of this camera. Also, from some video I recently shot at 4000 ISO, I can report that the low-light is very clean on the Z6. 

Still not sure what to make of the face detect AF. Nothing I try seems to redeem its dismal performance.

The AF in your video and in your comment does not relate all the things I saw on the Z6. Your dismal performance might be due to a combination of: 

- low light (the Z6 AF is known to suck in low light for stills)

- settings

- lens 

The 1DX AF is excellent but at $6K and 1.5kg it's totally useless to me. Canon had the chance to implement that excellent AF in a good photo video body with the R but they totally screwed up.  

Tested with both the 50mm F1.8 and the 24-70mm F4. Used base ISO and adjusted light to provide good exposure. Used both default and recommended settings for optimal face detect performance. I'm honestly not sure what I could have done differently. I was stoked about the Nikon and really wanted it to do well... but it did not. I'm not exactly new to cameras so I'm pretty confident that it configured correctly.  

Is the R bad at AF? I've not heard that good is the case. Quiet contrary, I've heard it's excellent and can even focus in nearly complete darkness. 

Pretty sobering. But everyone knows canon  dpaf is the ducks nuts. It's just they are cunts. 

If i could afford a 6k camera for fooling around I would kind of be working on productions than would gain me 6k and up. It is just not, I found a cheap gh5 and made a nice short or what not territory. 

And in that sense the z6 seems to do quite well if you compare it to everything canon has done in the "up to 2500€ 4k? realm". 

Would i switch to canon, yeah totally, been there. It's just like so said upstairs, you can vote with your wallet..... 

50 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Tested with both the 50mm F1.8 and the 24-70mm F4. Used base ISO and adjusted light to provide good exposure. Used both default and recommended settings for optimal face detect performance. I'm honestly not sure what I could have done differently. I was stoked about the Nikon and really wanted it to do well... but it did not. I'm not exactly new to cameras so I'm pretty confident that it configured correctly.  

Is the R bad at AF? I've not heard that good is the case. Quiet contrary, I've heard it's excellent and can even focus in nearly complete darkness. 

How about shooting without face detect?

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

How about shooting without face detect?

Face detect is really not that useful in my experience. You can manually tap the screen and it will focus after a short hunt. But if you are looking for set and forget type performance... look elsewhere.

Can see it jump a lot in first clip, especially around 1:37. That's what I always encounter on the non dpaf systems, yeah it works, but sometimes it jumps around all nasty. It's not just a little mistake, it jumps equivalent to dozens of feet off, then back fast. 

The test above looks better then my XT3, as in it stays on his face. With the XT3 when he turned around it would have started to focus on the back drop, also it would have probably went to focus on the faces of people passing by. 

The background does look a bit jumpy at times but the focus seemed to remain on his face the entire time. Looks like he had optimal exposure though it was quite backlit. Hard to believe DBounce was using the same camera in his video. 

I was recently reading a review for the Nikon and the guy said iso 25,600 is as clean as 6400 on the XT3.

21 hours ago, DBounce said:

Sorry, I meant they totally screwed up the EOS R, not its AF. With the excellent AF technology they have, they had the opportunity to make a great camera for stills and video with the EOS R but they totally screwed up the camera according to me, for the reasons we all know. 

1DX2 video specs in a EOS R body would be very appealing. Pana S1 and Sony A7S III will have those, minus AF.

33 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Sorry, I meant they totally screwed up the EOS R, not its AF. With the excellent AF technology they have, they had the opportunity to make a great camera for stills and video with the EOS R but they totally screwed up the camera according to me, for the reasons we all know. 

1DX2 video specs in a EOS R body would be very appealing. Pana S1 and Sony A7S III will have those, minus AF.

Could see a big improvement in auto focus on the SIII

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The background does look a bit jumpy at times but the focus seemed to remain on his face the entire time. Looks like he had optimal exposure though it was quite backlit. Hard to believe DBounce was using the same camera in his video. 

He was doing it in much lower light than this video. I watched a handful of z7/z6 videos and they all struggled in low light with af

4 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Ok, I have solved the mystery of why the Nikon Z6 AF performed so dismally during my testing. I can confirm that IT IS A BUG and is easily reproducible. See the below video for a complete demonstration of the issue and how to reproduce.

That is hilarious that it takes a S#$! when using log. 1DXii: "The tables have turned, if I can't use Log, neither can you!"

That pretty much sucks ass. Maybe there is just not enough Contrast in N Log for it to pick up shapes? Can you try it in better light conditions?? Only real way to prove the Contrast thing. I wonder if the sensor is really seeing that look in the Raw data or is N Log way down the pipeline?

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

That pretty much sucks ass. Maybe there is just not enough Contrast in N Log for it to pick up shapes? Can you try it in better light conditions?? Only real way to prove the Contrast thing.

It was exposed correctly. Or are we going for the old ID 10 T error? I’m just the messenger. Feel free to drop $4500 for this setup and have at it. But believe me, I tested with three different lenses under multiple lighting conditions. Both indoors and outdoors. This issue is a processing overload being caused by NLog. Not sure if firmware will fix or if Nikons NLog is just too processor intensive. But we will soon see if Nikon addresses it.