X-T3 F-Log vs. HLG comparison

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 hours ago, androidlad said:

HLG was not designed to be an acquisition format, the curve is extremely non-linear and hard to grade manually.

Where did you get this information from? I'd be really interested in the specs for HLG to get a better understanding of the characteristics and how to grade it properly. Any white papers?

3 hours ago, chrisE said:

Where did you get this information from? I'd be really interested in the specs for HLG to get a better understanding of the characteristics and how to grade it properly. Any white papers?

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/bt/R-REC-BT.2100-2-201807-I!!PDF-E.pdf

As HLG is a relative standard just like BT.709, manufacturers can add their own customisation.

I have done about a dozen separate HLG vs FLog tests here and HLG has not looked better in any of them.

Low light capture is significantly better with Flog, maybe a full stop more captured information. Flog has been cleaner and easier to work with by a huge factor. I will still aim that way unless an awesome HLG workflow comes out.

1 hour ago, DanielVranic said:

I have done about a dozen separate HLG vs FLog tests here and HLG has not looked better in any of them.

Low light capture is significantly better with Flog, maybe a full stop more captured information. Flog has been cleaner and easier to work with by a huge factor. I will still aim that way unless an awesome HLG workflow comes out.

Please support your claims with empirical evidence - sample frames, exposure parameters etc.

On 12/28/2018 at 2:58 PM, androidlad said:

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/bt/R-REC-BT.2100-2-201807-I!!PDF-E.pdf

As HLG is a relative standard just like BT.709, manufacturers can add their own customisation.

Thanks a lot, that's a start! But after a first look, that seems to be more about the color that curve that's being used to convert the raw data from the sensor to the 8bits in the final video file. Any more information?

6 minutes ago, chrisE said:

Thanks a lot, that's a start! But after a first look, that seems to be more about the color that curve that's being used to convert the raw data from the sensor to the 8bits in the final video file. Any more information?

Everything about HLG (and PQ) is in that whitepaper, it delineates both the OETF and EOTF that underpin HLG as a system.

1 hour ago, DanielVranic said:

is HLG 10 bit or no?

HLG can be either 10bit or 12bit per BT.2100 standard. X-T3 is BT.2100 compliant and can only record using HEVC codec when HLG mode is selected.

Since HLG is an open standard, Sony decided to deviate from the standard and used 8bit encoding, along with various HLG curves.

13 hours ago, androidlad said:

HLG can be either 10bit or 12bit per BT.2100 standard. X-T3 is BT.2100 compliant and can only record using HEVC codec when HLG mode is selected.

Since HLG is an open standard, Sony decided to deviate from the standard and used 8bit encoding, along with various HLG curves.

Thanks! Also, I haven't posted samples yet because upon further testing my processing chain was wrong.

I still have no idea how to process or grade Fuji HLG footage

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

Hi, are you using the same FLOG LUTs with this or are they too strong?

I used the offical Fuji FLog luts, and created some using LutCalc. For HLG I used the Color Space Transform node in Resolve, and tried out the HLG LUTs that came packaged with Resolve. Overall i found it much easier to get the result i wanted when using HLG.