Seeking advice_Audio recording by C100 Mii

Hsiao

Hi Experts,

I recently help a rock band film their live performance, but I found the audio recording quality isn't very good.

My audio recording equipment are

1. Canon C100 MII with build-in mic

2. Rode videomic pro+

I realized that recording live music required more and better devices.

However, by our on-hand equipment. I am seeking your advices for the best configuration with below questions

1. Lowering the C100 microphone sensitivity or applying attenuator, which is better?

The band will play in a small live room, and I am allowed to film just in front of the stage. 

Which setting could give best voice resolution but also allow the highest sound level to be recorded?

2. Configuration: Building C100 stereo mic or C100 with Rode videomic pro+, which is better?

Generally shotgun mic is not good for music recording, But the RODE mic is better then C100 mic.

I used to assign dual mono sound track, right for build-in and left for RODE mic. 

But I am wondering if you think using C100 build-in mic only is a better configuration. 

Thanks for your valuable advice 

Hsiao

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Plus I don't think you are going to get any super good video or audio recording a band with just one camera and one mike in one location. It is going to look and sound pretty amateur to be honest. But I doubt you have much choice, at best you are at least going to have to have at least 2 good mikes. The C100 can handle that. I would not use the internal mikes at all in that circumstance. Even a cheap Karaoke mike would be better than those. But the person that knows this stuff better is @IronFilm

Is it a live performance in front of an audience? If the band are playing through a mixer/sound system, you can more than likely take a line out of the desk - which will give you the best possible results.

If not, and you can only use the shotgun, from an audio standpoint it'll be better to position yourself at the back of the room, maybe up on a balcony if there is one? Of course, that might not be so great for the camera - depending which lenses you have available.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Best configuration:
1) Headphones. 
2) Worn over your ears. 
3) Listening. 

On the TV series I am doing sound I give headphones to 1) director, 2) script/assistant 3) director of photography and occasionally to a 4th person.

No one is really listening, I assure you! I have to explain everytime why I have to stop/cut!

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Why does the DoP need headphones??

To listen to the action. It is very difficult to follow what is going on with only looking at the monitors. TV episodic series are told a story (especially like ours which is comedy), it is more like radio than cinema!

By the way, because he is one of the best in the country with 35+ years of experience, he has the best "ear" as well!