8K is still 4 years out

Snowbro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/21/2018 at 11:34 PM, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but as of now I don't think you can buy any kind of TV that is less than 4K? So when all the old ones goes belly up everyone will have 4K like it or not. Now whether there is any 4K content to watch that is a different story.

People don't throw away their perfectly fine 4k TV to get new 8k one, if there is no visible benefit. And the problem with 8k is that you need 100 inch TV to see its 4x-more-than-4k pixels. In 55 inch and at typical distance its completely meaningless. 

A large single panel is very difficult to manufacture flawlessly. A large panel consisting of many smartphone sized pieces is much cheaper. The micro led tech is very interesting, it allows for modular screens, looks really good like oled too. They have made movie theatre screens with it now. I could see 120" screens being accessible to the middle class in 10 years or less. The wallpaper screens are cool, but they still are manufactured as a one piece screen. My 4k oled was around $8,000 when it came out, it was stated that the OLEDs were so expensive because they had to throw away 70% of the ones they made. Now you can get them for $2k instead of $20k+ when they first started making them. I wish someone would make an ultra short throw scanning laser projector, they probably cant though, because it likely is impossible to avoid blindness (some idiot would eventually look at the laser)

On 12/22/2018 at 7:51 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I read that as watching a dirty story in good 1080p but I agree either way.

Ok then. 
Immediately after read....

On 12/22/2018 at 8:01 AM, scotchtape said:

4k penetration

Righto then! ;)

Anyway..... more seriously now, we will "eventually" get 8K
Even if 8K takes fifty years to get there. (doubt it though?)

But I certainly don't see 8K being normal in the prosumer world within 4 years. Nope, nope, just not going to happen. 

On 12/22/2018 at 8:04 AM, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but as of now I don't think you can buy any kind of TV that is less than 4K? So when all the old ones goes belly up everyone will have 4K like it or not. Now whether there is any 4K content to watch that is a different story.

Lots of the cheaper TV screens at my local store are less than 4K. 

Plus it takes much longer than 4 years before "all the old ones go belly up".

Thus we'll be waiting much longer than 4 years before our current crop of TVs all get replaced.