8K is still 4 years out

Snowbro

If you look at how long it took for the 4k stuff to start catching on, it was 9 years from 1080p. I bought an LG 65" 4k HDR OLED in 2016 thinking I had waited nearly long enough to have a wave of 4k content soon. I am still waiting; no video stores to rent 4k videos & redbox doesn't have them. It makes no sense to buy 4k movies at $30 a pop to watch twice in your life. Amazon is still hosting everything in 1080p with only a couple movies in 4k. Netflix only has about a dozen movies in 4k that aren't their own original junk.

The streaming 4k is such low bit rate compressed stuff, that I compared the dark knight on 1080p blu ray to the streaming 4k version, it honestly looked better on the blu ray somehow. 

The h.265 codec will take some major leaps in CPU/GPU processing power to be workable in even large 10 bit 4k projects. It isn't nice on expensive rigs today. I just look forward to having more accessible 4k HDR when 8k comes out. In the U.S., you still are getting 720p broadcast from cable and satellite, Japan doing 8k live tv shows how little competition there is here. 

Do any of you even really care about 8k, aside from pushing better codecs and supersampling 4k? I feel like there are massive diminishing returns; I can see 8k being useful for zooming in & post production movements/3D effects. I would rather have 4k raw in a hybrid than 8k. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Even more than already, it would be a reckless abuse of resources to built all the computing power for the 8k, in phones, for its streaming content, etc, that it hopefully will not become standard. All that silicone, all that waste of energy, all that polution for the 8k cellphones, TVs, internet streaming. Terrwatts of energy and Terratons of oil wasted, water poluted. All for some shitty 8k youtube crap.

8 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

That computing power is going to come regardless of 8k's existence. Quantum computing is mind blowing. 

I don´t matter, if the human mind is letting itself be dwarfed by 8k youtube videos and social media alogrithms. Waste of energy electric energy and sofore fuel is mindblowing. Quantum computing is not coming at quantum computing speed. Plastic waste has achieved that very well though. All the cpus and gpus built just for 8k phones will come in billion numbers. Doubling polution and waste.

24 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

I don´t matter, if the human mind is letting itself be dwarfed by 8k youtube videos and social media *alogrithms. Waste of energy electric energy and sofore fuel is mindblowing. Quantum computing is not coming at quantum computing speed. Plastic waste has achieved that very well though. All the cpus and gpus built just for 8k phones will come in billion numbers. Doubling *polution and waste.

You do know that processors get smaller and more efficient every year right? I didn't know this was a greenpeace board, seems to be getting off topic haha. It's not like I am using that gas powered video camera anymore ?

One thing no one talks about is audio for UHD. I have a 4k tv and a 4k graphics card, so i should be able to watch 4k content, right? Nope. My receiver can only take 1080p hdmi, and that is the only way to get 5.1 audio. So to get 4k, i have to do stereo sound via aux input.

I have no desire to buy a whole new receiver just to get 4k, let alone 8k, and 5.1 is more important than high resolution for me.

Its frustratingly ironic that wanting decent audio is the reason i cant watch 4k right now and have absolutely no interest in 8k content.

I don't give a shit about 8k and to a certain extend 4k. I remember countless discussion with people lecturing me how 4k would take the world in 2-5 years because it was so superior etc and it was in 2010-2012. I told them that it took more than a decade or two (because we are still a lot in the SD-720p) world than 1080p even now. Even if it was a big jump in quality from SD and FHD. Even 720p was a big leap from SD. So that if it took that much for such an advancement, moving from FHD to 4k will take much more time, because the leap now would be minimal. For me the ideal resolution would be 3k for pristine 2k (Alexa). But I am ok with 4k at least for dslr milc that have higher megapixel generaly as they don't resolve as good as native video camera. I cannot even stop laughting about those people saying... hey we need 6k scaled down to get true 4k etc... it is as if anyone can see... now 8k LOL

6 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Then you need to learn about  the nyquist theorem and the difference between pixels count and resolution.....otherwise people will be laughing at you;)

I dont give a damn about the nyquist theorem because I and 99.99% of people can barely see above 2k in a cinema screen. So what difference it will make, weven if I do know that Bayer sensor with the fact that they contain only one color per pixel need about 1/3 more pixel to get to the said resolution. But, all this math mean nothing if you can't see it.  

If I had to guess, I’d say at least 75% of the people that frequent this site would be better off with good 1080p than 4K and the idea of shooting 8K for interviews and weddings sounds like total and laughable overkill to me, unless needed for VFX. I get the idea of shooting 4K for clean 1080p but I’d rather watch a good story in dirty 1080p than a bad one in clean, downscaled 4K.

I don’t know about you guys but I can’t say I’ve ever seen any of Nyquist’s films but I imagine they’re pretty boring.

20 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Isn't 4k penetration in 2018 like 30% in the US? Unless they're selling 8k TV's for $100 it's going to take a loong time before anything close to the majority of screens becomes 8k

Yeah but as of now I don't think you can buy any kind of TV that is less than 4K? So when all the old ones goes belly up everyone will have 4K like it or not. Now whether there is any 4K content to watch that is a different story.

49 minutes ago, mercer said:

If I had to guess, I’d say at least 75% of the people that frequent this site would be better off with good 1080p than 4K and the idea of shooting 8K for interviews and weddings sounds like total and laughable overkill to me, unless needed for VFX. I get the idea of shooting 4K for clean 1080p but I’d rather watch a good story in dirty 1080p than a bad one in clean, downscaled 4K.

I don’t know about you guys but I can’t say I’ve ever seen any of Nyquist’s films but I imagine they’re pretty boring.

Yeah but you, me, us are mostly looking at it as a Movie thing. If you are a cooking channel, a Doc shooter, Wildlife shooter, shooting your kids, vacation of a lifetime, etc, you want footage that is bleeding sharp, and that is 4K. Not everything has to be Filmic, Cine like. Hell most people have no clue what that even means. It is like Photos, most people want them sharp, and video just like it.

It is like this new iPhone XS I just got. The video out of it is crazy sharp good or bad. And I would bet for the vast majority of people they will be happy as heck it is that way. Even me for a lot of things. It is what happens to be in vogue, in style right now and it is not going away.

1 hour ago, Danyyyel said:

I dont give a damn about the nyquist theorem because I and 99.99% of people can barely see above 2k in a cinema screen. So what difference it will make, weven if I do know that Bayer sensor with the fact that they contain only one color per pixel need about 1/3 more pixel to get to the said resolution. But, all this math mean nothing if you can't see it.  

I can tell the difference. Not saying that 2k is not enough but 4k does have more detail. Detail / resolution  is however the least important ingredient in 'cinema'. 

On 12/21/2018 at 10:22 AM, Snowbro said:

You do know that processors get smaller and more efficient every year right? I didn't know this was a greenpeace board, seems to be getting off topic haha. It's not like I am using that gas powered video camera anymore ?

I do. What are you thinking, muaha.  More electric energy being used on production of processors, more electric energy on servers running for 8K, etc. No need for reading the greepeaces board, you are mentioning.

This is not a greenpeace board, neither is it a action shortmovie board, though some awesome action shorts have been shown on this board. This is no Snowbroading broad neither nor board, you know that, right. This board would be running on 8k gas stinkers a second, if coal was providing server power. Since it´s not, it´s 8k couch poataos´ farts a second. You see, 8K not a good thing. What gas was your camera running on haha.

On 12/21/2018 at 8:33 PM, mercer said:

Right! Good one! :) Not to be mixed up with this master: Nykvist!