GH5S dual ISO - what the heck is going on?

mirekti

I did a quick test and ISO 1250 is horrible, looks worst than the highest ISO. I thought ISO 800 is native so if you move half stop it shouldn’t ne bad. Please look at this video and zoomed in noise at differet levels. Profile is set to 4k - vlog

It seems ISO 400 and 1600 look the best. It also clean itself at ISO 3200 again. 

I thought ISO 800 and ISO 2500 were native ISO.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, mirekti said:

I did a quick test and ISO 1250 is horrible, looks worst than the highest ISO. I thought ISO 800 is native so if you move half stop it shouldn’t ne bad. Please look at this video and zoomed in noise at differet levels. Profile is set to 4k - vlog

It seems ISO 400 and 1600 look the best. I thought ISO 800 and ISO 2500 were native ISO.

B4A98DED-1ADA-423F-BA5F-9C76B7B22BBB.MOV

For the GH5s the dual native ISO values are 400 and 2500.

Technically you underexposed ISO400 by 1,66 stops. In pitch black. What do you expect?

ISO1600 is clean, because it's overexposed ISO2500.

Oh, try HFR 240 fps with VLOG-L and ISO1250. And dont forget to tell me which trashcan will you use to dump the camera ?

15 minutes ago, Deadcode said:

Oh, try HFR 240 fps with VLOG-L and ISO1250.

? That’s a road I wouldn’t take. Anyhow, I don’t go higer than 96fps, but ISO 1250 is really bad, even ISO 2500 looks bad to my eye, worse than ISO 3200 which makes no sense.

At least I learned something.

Would this be a good conlusion:

1st mode: Use ISO 320-800, and 400 has the least noise and highest DR?

2nd mode: Use ISO 1600-6400, but avoid ISO 2500?

24 minutes ago, mirekti said:

? That’s a road I wouldn’t take. Anyhow, I don’t go higer than 96fps, but ISO 1250 is really bad, even ISO 2500 looks bad to my eye, worse than ISO 3200 which makes no sense.

At least I learned something.

Would this be a good conlusion:

1st mode: Use ISO 320-800, and 400 has the least noise and highest DR?

2nd mode: Use ISO 1600-6400, but avoid ISO 2500?

If i were you i would use VLOG-L and ISO400 or ISO2500. Everything in between can be decided in post. But this requires a bit of colorgrading skill.

If you are not using VLOG-L, use Auto ISO. The contrasty profile will hide the noise. And expose for the final look.

26 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Pretty much acting just like the PK4 does, no surprise. Best to just use the 2 Dual ISO's.

I just read explanation from Cinema 5D about PK4:

”In addition, we have learned that the Dual ISO in this camera works in an “intelligent” way, meaning, there are two native ISO values (400 and 3200), but this breaks into two “banks”, from ISO 100 to 1000 and from ISO 1250 to 6400. Within the transition between those blocks (ISO 1000 to 1250), the LOG curve resets itself,...”

I couldn’t find similar for GH5S, I mean, I did but different sites claimed different values.

From my video it looks as if there’s a triple native ISO :) ISO 320-1250, then ISO 1600-2500, and then ISO 3200-25600

Could someone who owns GH5S do the same test, please?

9 minutes ago, mirekti said:

I couldn’t find similar for GH5S, I mean, I did but different sites claimed different values.

From my video it looks as if there’s a triple native ISO :) ISO 320-1250, then ISO 1600-2500, and then ISO 3200-25600

Could someone who owns GH5S do the same test, please?

That's just the in camera temporal noise reduction. 

Why dont you try it yourself in real world scenario? Worrying about the noise while lens cap is on is silly...

I have a GH5s. In real world use the noise performance has been pretty great. Stellar in fact compared to GH5. There have been a few shots in candle light that had some noise in the shadows, but I made the mistake and was too underexposed. Noise reduction in post and poof my OCD was fine again. Totally usable even before.

Also, I don’t touch V-LogL. I’ve been using the HLG profile with Paul Lemmings LUT, exposing to the right, and it’s been outstanding.