Why Is Sony Fanboyism So Bad?

Snowbro

I have shot most brands since 2006 & go with whatever I test and like. I don't understand why sony fanboys feel the need to invade every single video etc. on all videos of other cameras? They don't leave semi underhanded comments, it's full blown nastiness. Who is this demographic? I don't get the level of unprovoked hostility, is it purchase insecurity? Is it young kids that can afford a sony instead of the traditionally high priced dslrs of the past? 

Someone help me understand ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't really understand it either. It's probably a combination of many things. The way they market their products, concentrating on high profile bloggers and youtubers instead of "real" photographers. Their products are great and for a long time they were the only manufacturer offering small, full frame, mirrorless bodies. Not counting Leica. They concentrated on the big things like full frame and IBIS, ignoring little things like the viewfinder or weather sealing. 
I guess some users thought that this, combined with the very spec heavy marketing, somehow made their product and thus them, superior. 

There is probably also some fear. Fear, that Canon and Nikon enter "their" market and that they are no longer unique. As we all know that happened. And quite a few users, which still had their old lenses, did switch back. 

When I had my rendezvous with the A7IIII I joined some Sony groups on facebook. To be honest, I was quite shocked at what was said there. There wasn't much talk about pictures or even technical details helping you to get better pictures. It felt like 50% of all content was mocking Canon and Nikon. 

of course that's not all Sony shooters. Not all are on the internet, not all are hateful and not all are trolls. Some photographers I know use Sony and non of them is even close to what you find on the internet. So somehow the internet makes angry trolls out of Sony users ? 

I've become a die hard Sony user, I think it's mixture of pride and mutual hype (search sony alpha on Instagram and you'll see people post photos of the cameras a lot more than any other brand) 

I transitioned from Canon with shitty 1080p. and the 1st time I viewed my A6300s 4K I was sold, The clinical sharpness of the image, the considerably higher dynamic range.

After that I  just wanted to tell everyone how amazing my new camera is. The image quality was so good it made me wanna go and shoot more, even if it was just random stuff in the backyard.

I think it's because I wanted my friends to have that same excitement I originally had when 1st switched and still do.

This has probably created that elitist nature sony shooters are known for. Especially those that have recently joined the dark side.

I thought for the longest time it was just kids on the internet with an apsc sony (like I had in 2016). Then I was flown out to NYC for some banking superday interviews; I was walking the isle & heard a 55-60 year old man introduce himself to someone next to him. He led by: "I am a successful photographer! I do magazine advertisements." He then pointed to a guy with his wife in front of me that had a smaller nikon camera around his neck & said "but I dont shoot with a piece of S%$! like that, I shoot sony". I really was stunned at the arrogance of this little man, it made me think that he was highly insecure. I wanted to get him worked up a bit, so when I passed him I said "sony has disgusting skin tones" & smiled. The guy jumped up and started screaming haha, I thought he was going to get himself put on a no fly list. Bank gave me a crap econ seat, so I was about a mile away from him after that. Took 30min to get off the plane after flying 5hrs from the western U.S., that little prick was waiting for me to scream some more ?. I just ignored him with my headphones in, he followed me with his phone out to take pictures or film idk. I'm sure I am on some little blog post somewhere haha. That was my first experience with a sony "fanboy" in person. 

53 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

They aren't on top anymore though, well I'd argue since the release of the GH5 they haven't been.

I actually haven't really noticed Sony fanboyism though. I've noticed a lot of Fuji fan boys though. Maybe its because I don't watch many sony product reviews or anything like that.

I have used most of the Sony (video)-cameras since the previous century(sic) and they were always lacking in some aspect. Spec wise they were always at the peak, but a profesional needs the whole package, and amateurs an easy experience, which Sony usually failed in both.

In the hybrid market, they almost never were on top, except when they were alone on a specific segment(sic,again!).

Their most interesting camera so far is the A7iii, and this already takes a lot of heat from various manufacturers (even BM, go figure), but it os the first camera I was seriously consider buying lately.

I've noticed over the years that when a company is dominating in a product market in innovation and/or market share, even if that market is only quite niche, it leads to this attitude among fans of the company that they have some divine right to hold a monopoly over that market, and that all competing products (and the people who buy them) are preventing them from achieving that goal, and are thus the enemy.

Even as a primarily Nikon user, I have to admit that Sony were absolutely killing it for the last few years, but I think the A7Riii was seen by some as kind of an underwhelming upgrade, and then a whole bunch of strong rivals showed up all at once from Fujifilm, Nikon and Panasonic (and one from Canon that was at least worthy of a participation award), which has probably led to fears about whether or not Sony can keep up that pace.

Well, either that or it's just bleed-over from the console wars. ?

55 minutes ago, David Bowgett said:

but I think the A7Riii was seen by some as kind of an underwhelming upgrade

that's interesting, I think it's their do it all camera and is pretty good at it. Personally I did go for the A7III because of full frame full sensor read out, but except those two things, I think the A7R III is one of the best cameras money can buy.  Wouldn't buy it though, my time with the A7 wasn't really pleasureful

While there do seem to be some abusive Sony fanboys, I see far MORE anti-Sony fans that can not help but re-post and magnify every little thing negative they can about Sony and some of it isn't even photography related.    On line that is (In real life locally many are moving to Sony and most people get on just fine regardless of brand they use).

EVERY brand has its pluses and minuses and many do things unrelated to photography and they all do/have done some truly bonehead things at times.

I absolutely love the original A7s but it is still dead so now I am shooting stills on an obsolete Canon and my video needs are met for now with a crappy little Canon point and shoot.      It will be expensive to fix my A7s (if ever) and I may just get another cheap Sony APSC just to keep using the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8       The WORST bang for buck I have owned was a $1000 Sony point and shoot years ago and the best bang for buck to me is the FE 85 1.8

There are plenty of abusive users who use other brands too.

It seems like it used to be the smaller brand users being defensive about their choices against the mass of Canon and Nikon users (some of whom were not pleasant to be around).

Sony has raised itself up from the pack somewhat and some Canon and Nikon users have become the defenders of the faith.

Then there are the sensor size snobs.....

Recently I ditched Sony A6500 and got Panasonic G85, maybe i should post a video about it and get massive (negative) boost from Sony fans ? 

To answer OP this article says it better

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/why-sony-fans-are-called-cockroaches-in-japan/

Some "Sony" fan are actually employee in disguise

Though I noticed after Canon/Nikon announce/released their FF mirror-less system this year there is less "Sony" Die-hard on other brand's forum.

14 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

They aren't on top anymore though, well I'd argue since the release of the GH5 they haven't been.

I think you meant "since the GH4"

(typo: *GH3)
(typo: *GH2)
(typo: *GH1)

13 hours ago, David Bowgett said:

I've noticed over the years that when a company is dominating in a product market in innovation and/or market share, even if that market is only quite niche, it leads to this attitude among fans of the company that they have some divine right to hold a monopoly over that market, and that all competing products (and the people who buy them) are preventing them from achieving that goal, and are thus the enemy.

At least Sony fanboys are not as annoying as Canon fanboys

13 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Oh my God Fuji fans are far worse than Sony fans, even on here.

I reckon Fuji has been making great strides recently, and deserve their extra attention and praise recently.

6 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Recently I ditched Sony A6500 and got Panasonic G85, maybe i should post a video about it and get massive (negative) boost from Sony fans ? 

I'd love to watch a video about why you ditched the a6500 for a G85

8 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I think you meant "since the GH4"

(typo: *GH3)
(typo: *GH2)
(typo: *GH1)

At least Sony fanboys are not as annoying as Canon fanboys

I reckon Fuji has been making great strides recently, and deserve their extra attention and praise recently.

True, but Fuji cameras even though innovative has always come across as goofy to the average consumer. Not counting expensive years ago. Now they have 50 models out to confuse the hell out of everyone. I don't think they are going to really gain any ground compared on Sony or Canon. APSC cameras are dying anyways. Nikon will keep slipping back also I think. They won't last.