Premiere Pro - The Shittiest Software Going

User

Now I can't click on a clip in the timeline and reveal in the project/ finder... It's just one thing after another with these guys.
If I wasn't so far along into a big project, I'd drop this garbage immediately. Nice work Adobe.

That Johnnie Behiri trip to California Adobe piece is just another huge middle finger to everyone. Laughable.

Can someone tell me if Resolve is able to hand big sprawling doc films well?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I feel your pain. Between Premiere unstability and Flash vulnerabilities, I have a strong distrust of Adobe myself. I use Resolve for editing these days. My biggest project is ~5,000 files / 500 GB and Resolve is handling it just fine. Each of the files actually is imported both in full res and a proxy, so there's closer to 10,000 imported files. Not sure how that scales against your needs...

28 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

I feel your pain. Between Premiere unstability and Flash vulnerabilities, I have a strong distrust of Adobe myself. I use Resolve for editing these days. My biggest project is ~5,000 files / 500 GB and Resolve is handling it just fine. Each of the files actually is imported both in full res and a proxy, so there's closer to 10,000 imported files. Not sure how that scales against your needs...

Good to have you insights KnightsFan. Thanks. I hear you on the mistrust of Adobe... as I remember Andrew sited the Johnnie Behiri Adobe promo as something of a lame counter to the growing backlash.
When we last left off on a discussion, I had started using Resolve to transcode as AME (Adobe) had yet another bug... so I've been playing around with Resolve for a few days now and it just seems to work well. A lot of my film has been organized and built in Premiere (across 5 years) with 17,000+ files or I would have already jumped ship... good to hear that there are no hiccups on your 10k assets.
Somehow the part of that Johnnie Behiri Adobe thing that sticks with me is when Adobe reiterates (try saying that word 10 times very fast Inazuma?) on how their software is used by the serious Hollywood pros... ugh.

Try exporting to xml and then importing to resolve, nothing to lose!

I switched over recently and I haven't noticed the actual performance being better than premiere in terms of stutters during 4k playback but at least I don't get the glitch where I can't save and premiere hangs for 30mins with the file explorer dialogue is open...

Obviously there's some bugs but I'm trying to escape the Adobe universe.

53 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I made this note when I first had problems in premiere & had to trouble shoot lol. 

If screen blacks out, click window > workspaces > reset to saved layout 

All Adobe products should ship with a handgun... and one round in the chamber.

After a couple years on other software I decided to give PS and LR a go the other day and signed up for a subscription. I moved from the UK to the Netherlands and it took Adobe support about two hours to change my account. It was very much like the thread above. A trip to hell. 

Made me immediately regret getting back on Adobe. 

I have had a pretty crash-free and bug-free experience with creative cloud personally.

After Effects is completely stable as far as I'm concerned.

I've had some minor niggles with premiere, and one serious problem - occasional hangs on using 'save as', which is annoying but can be mitigated with a workaround.

Audition roundtrip works a treat.

Photoshop and illustrator integration and stability are great.

All in all is a fantastic suite, though whether the pricing is fair, I'm not sure. Certainly as a professional the price is easily worth paying.

1 hour ago, Mmmbeats said:

I have had a pretty crash-free and bug-free experience with creative cloud personally.

After Effects is completely stable as far as I'm concerned.

I've had some minor niggles with premiere, and one serious problem - occasional hangs on using 'save as', which is annoying but can be mitigated with a workaround.

Audition roundtrip works a treat.

Photoshop and illustrator integration and stability are great.

All in all is a fantastic suite, though whether the pricing is fair, I'm not sure. Certainly as a professional the price is easily worth paying.

This is actually reassuring to hear as I'm almost through a huge transcoding and relinking process and just stepping back into the creative beginning tomorrow. Let's see how things hold up.

I edit in Cineform rather than h.264, which I think really helps performance.

Media Encoder is also very good, I find.

Some other notes:

Dynamic link (Premiere <--> After Effects) is quite a system resource hog.  I tend to only use it if it's going to really benefit the project workflow.  For quick stuff I just use the old-fashioned render-out method, which is rock solid.

In addition to the above, I have had some render issues with complex projects.  I have had to mitigate this on occasion by rendering out in high-quality chunks (or layers), recombining on a timeline and then re-rendering.  So that's another big minus point - but that's only been occasional, when working with massive files on particularly complex timelines.