ProRes and H.265 Comparison

KnightsFan

4 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

Is MKV doable for ProRes editing and rendering?

I have never tried. It's my understanding that ProRes is always in apple's QuickTime MOV container, as it's an apple codec. If an MKV works in your NLE, I think that it's perfectly fine for personal use. However, I would not use it when you need to send footage to someone else unless you are 100% sure it is compatible with their software.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

You can use ffmpeg to convert to DNxHD or DNxHR. I have never done it myself, but the answer on this page seems very thorough https://askubuntu.com/questions/907398/how-to-convert-a-video-with-ffmpeg-into-the-dnxhd-dnxhr-format. Many windows applications can decode ProRes, they just cant encode it.

What do you mean by DVR?

Da Vinci Resolve ;)

4 hours ago, androidlad said:

The latest Adobe Premiere Pro/Media Encoder support ProRes output on Windows now. But they interpret colour from Fuji cameras wrong.

Assimilate Scratch also outputs ProRes and gets the colour right.

Is there a color interpretation problem only with ProRes or does this apply to the native XT3 H265 files?

2 hours ago, androidlad said:

It happens with all fuji camera internal H.264 and H.265 files, with the exception of HLG.

We had a discussion in another thread but I forgot what the consensus was. I still have those files with the man in red jacket coming from the X-T3 and from the Ninja V. In Assimilate Scratch they look the same, but in Premiere and Resolve they look different. We already have the LUTs to make them look identical, but I don't know which one is correctly displayed.

Edit: nevermind, just found the thread where you said that the Ninja is showing the correct colours. I think I'll do a DCTL for the Fuji internal files for more precision.

17 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Has anyone transcoded to GoPro Cineform?  It looks like it's a smaller intermediate with similar quality to ProRes.  I can't find any docs to do it though since the GoPro Studio is discontinued.

i think you can download gopro studio still, buts its a convoluted path. as i had to do it when my 32 bit desktop fell over and coudn't be bothered going with the 64 bit version at the time. i think i may have it stoed on my desktop hd somewhere...

22 hours ago, androidlad said:

The latest Adobe Premiere Pro/Media Encoder support ProRes output on Windows now. But they interpret colour from Fuji cameras wrong.

Assimilate Scratch also outputs ProRes and gets the colour right.

don't know scratch, can i transcode many files with trial ? any tuto to transcode ? thx

4 hours ago, leslie said:

i think you can download gopro studio still, buts its a convoluted path. as i had to do it when my 32 bit desktop fell over and coudn't be bothered going with the 64 bit version at the time. i think i may have it stoed on my desktop hd somewhere...

Hi, I found a site hosting an older version of GoPro Studio that had the Cineform codec and tried one of the XT3 H265 files and it wouldn't load it. So, ProRes it is then.

looks like scratch adds a watermark in trial and don't want to buy it just for trascoding. also have to say that the gui is...hmmm... special

so i stuck with over 100go of h265 files that i cannot use at the moment.

downloaded hanbrake which is a ffmepg gui but don't see or dnxhd prores export, any clues why ? any better gui for pc user ?

On 3/6/2019 at 2:55 AM, thephoenix said:

weird, my original file is 393mo and the export in dnxhr hqx is 3.8go ? something wrong i guess

DNxHR is a much less efficient codec, so you will see a significant file size increase. HQX in 4k should be around 720 mb/s, and 444 is around 1416 mb/s. I am not very familiar with DNxHD to be honest. I think you can include an alpha channel in any version, so that would add another 33% on any of those rates. So you can easily get a 10x increase in file size over the XT3, depending on what data rate you shot in.

3 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

Thanks. It was about the same with prores, normal  ? 

Yes. ProRes is very similar to DNxHR in terms of quality and file size. Both are significantly larger than H265 files of similar quality, but are easier on the CPU, for smoother playback on most systems.