ProRes on Windows

Attila Bakos

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/11/2018 at 4:56 PM, thephoenix said:

maybe not. it is just a license issue with apple. so it means money money money

will blackmagic pay for it...

Blackmagic already have prores export functioning on the windows version of thier Fusion software...as of yesterday that was how I’d normally export ‘genuine’ Prores from my windows 7 workstation.

Now with Adobe being granted prores export for windows (as long as you are on windows 10 that is) it makes life a lot easier. Blackmagic indeed need to implement prores export via Resolve - or at least a simple ‘send to Fusion’ dynamic link feature so as to make that software suite complete for windows users. 

DNxHD flavours are all well and good, but deliverables often need to be in a recognised prores flavour...mostly when passing video material to die hard Mac-based post people who assume nobody could possibly use PC’s for creative purposes. One can only assume that the only reason Blackmagic have not enabled Resolve prores export on PC yet is because of licence restraints, rather than any technical reasons. I really hope Adobe have not somehow snatched the rights away from Resolve having native Prores export features on a windows platform.

8 hours ago, Hans Punk said:

Blackmagic already have prores export functioning on the windows version of thier Fusion software...as of yesterday that was how I’d normally export ‘genuine’ Prores from my windows 7 workstation.

Now with Adobe being granted prores export for windows (as long as you are on windows 10 that is) it makes life a lot easier. Blackmagic indeed need to implement prores export via Resolve - or at least a simple ‘send to Fusion’ dynamic link feature so as to make that software suite complete for windows users. 

DNxHD flavours are all well and good, but deliverables often need to be in a recognised prores flavour...mostly when passing video material to die hard Mac-based post people who assume nobody could possibly use PC’s for creative purposes. One can only assume that the only reason Blackmagic have not enabled Resolve prores export on PC yet is because of licence restraints, rather than any technical reasons. I really hope Adobe have not somehow snatched the rights away from Resolve having native Prores export features on a windows platform.

Good news, hopefully it is only a matter of time now, as Fusion is now part of Resolve I guess it will be included in the next update or release. 

On 12/12/2018 at 2:37 AM, Mmmbeats said:

Great stuff.  I will likely switch over from CineForm for my intermediate workflow.  Just upgraded to GH5 so will have to figure a good 10-bit workflow also.

BTW - how's stability these days?  I'm still on a ver 9.2 build!!! ?

I have a cineform workflow too. I was about to start switching to prores and thought I'd google which flavor was most like cineform, and found a ton of posts raving about cineform vs prores for quality, compression, speed of encoding and playback.  so I'm just wondering what the advantage is.  (having prores is fab for final exports of course!)

2 minutes ago, gethin said:

I have a cineform workflow too. I was about to start switching to prores and thought I'd google which flavor was most like cineform, and found a ton of posts raving about cineform vs prores for quality, compression, speed of encoding and playback.  so I'm just wondering what the advantage is.  (having prores is fab for final exports of course!)

Ah, interesting.  I remember ProRes fondly from back in the day, but maybe I'll do a comparison with CineForm before making a decision.  Thanks for the heads-up.