Organic Sensor to be Used in This Panasonic Camcorder in Early 2019

buggz

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

So why would Fujifilm develop a sensor they do not plan use? That makes zero sense.

Probably both Panasonic and Fujifilm will make money by selling smaller version to car manufacturers. That's an area where global shutter and very high dynamic range are very important. 

Furthermore Fuji has been developing technologies in regard to sensors for ages. The new cell dividing material for the 0.8nm pixels of Samsungs Isocell Plus is from Fuji. and they are the main supplier of color filter arrays and a few other things. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, DBounce said:

So why would Fujifilm develop a sensor they do not plan use? That makes zero sense. I have no inside information. My conclusion is simply drawn from the logical assumption that Fujifilm were working on something they had a plan to use. Anything other than this assumes Fujifilm worked on this project simply to benefit another company. That reasoning does not seem logical.

You don't think Fuji will make royalties from this jointly developed technology? Sony makes more money selling their sensor tech than they do from their actual cameras. The same logic applies.

15 hours ago, sanveer said:

Isn't it already S35

Yes, and I expect they'll stick with S35 for another generation or longer. 

14 hours ago, DBounce said:

It’s funny that most here only consider Panasonic’s implementation of this sensor. Clearly Panasonic choose to work on this sensor with their Varicam line in mind. The real question is what are Fujifilm’s plans for this technology?

Why did Fujifilm choose to work on this sensor? What cameras / line did they plan to use such a sensor in? Are we expected to believe that Fujifilm invested millions of dollars, and years of work with zero plans to use the technology that they were co-developing?

I’ll say it again, it will be Fujifilm not Panasonic that introduces this sensor first in a hybrid body. It’s either that or Fujifilm just chose to throw away years of research and millions invested. That will not happen. This sensor is going to find its way into the XH2. Without it, all they can offer over the X-T3 is IBIS. This would present a major differentiation between the two lines.

The craziest wildest thought? Maybe Fujifilm are planning on making a high end cinema camera themselves? They've got popular cinema lenses after all, and the Fuji film stock was used for decades on features. 

44 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

The craziest wildest thought? Maybe Fujifilm are planning on making a high end cinema camera themselves? They've got popular cinema lenses after all, and the Fuji film stock was used for decades on features. 

Considering that Fuji seems to have nailed the 10-bit formula (in the XT3), has good Log and other features in its ILCs, the transition shouldn't be too difficult. They could probably start with Cinema DNG and ProRes (off the shelf codecs) and pick up hardware (much of what may be quite easy too). And they have a history of film and photo colours, so they could be great with LuTs and grades. Also the cinema and broadcast market has huge potential for many more players, especially in the $1000-3000, $3000-6000 and $6000-10000 price bands like Blackmagic, Kinefinity and others have shown. If Fuji makes competing cameras to the Canon Cinema line at much lower prices, and more codec options, they could easily take away many customers and attract many more new ones to their entry level cinema line. 

2 hours ago, sanveer said:

And they have a history of film and photo colours, so they could be great with LuTs and grades.

I don't think the target market, who probably demand RAW, care about Fuji's film and photo color know-how. They just want a clean unaltered data in a manageable codec. 

2 hours ago, sanveer said:

Also the cinema and broadcast market has huge potential for many more players

I doubt that. What solution new players are going to provide that RED, Sony, Panasonic, BMD and Canon can't? 

59 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

I don't think the target market, who probably demand RAW, care about Fuji's film and photo color know-how. They just want a clean unaltered data in a manageable codec. 

If that were the case, there would be no place for LuTs and other quick turn around processes. 

59 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

I doubt that. What solution new players are going to provide that RED, Sony, Panasonic, BMD and Canon can't? 

That's the same as saying why do Olympus and Panasonic need to introduce M43 when there already are APS-C and Full Frame sensors? If that were the case, Blackmagic and Kinefinity also would have no place. Thank God Blackmagic didn't feel the same way. The Original Pocket and the new 4k one are genuinely Path Breaking in many ways. 

New players could offer a lot of benefits and advantages. For one, a Price Advantage. And two, each of those systems has its minuses and pluses (the Compression ratio and the RAW codec itself probably has a long way to go). If the Organic sensor is as good as it claims, this could further shorten the divide between the high end and the prosumer market for video.