Organic Sensor to be Used in This Panasonic Camcorder in Early 2019

buggz

From Fuji Rumors page:

https://www.fujirumors.com/organic-sensor-to-be-used-in-this-panasonic-camcorder-in-early-2019/

Organic Sensor

L-rumors.com just shared the image of the first Panasonic 8K camcorder featuring an organic sensor and they also shared some specs:

Camcorder coming in late 2019, as Panasonic officially said here

Global Shutter (exposes all pixels at the same time and read the data all at once). This will at last kill the distortion caused by rolling shutters.

88 at 60fps

Panasonic said the sensor has “high sensitivity” and “wide dynamic range” but did not share exact numbers

It has a step less electronic ND filter (Panasonic said it does NOT chabge color balance when using it)

Sensor can switch between “high-sensitivity” mode and “high-saturation” mode

I remind you that just recently here, Panasonic said that the development of the organic sensor with Fujifilm continues. This could be the first application in a digital camera for this sensor.

image.png.005f24df34d7d570512c6a3bce2e33cb.png

image.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

PL mount in that image. 

My guess is the next Varicam will have this sensor. 
Varicam LT came out in 2016, so perhaps not too soon for a new Varicam in late 2019 to arrive. 

But I'd guess it would be a high end limited run camera from Panasonic, then in 2021 ish the cheaper "organic sensor Varicam LT replacement" will arrive. Skip forward another couple more years and an EVA2 might get it, then a couple more years after that a GHx will have it. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

PL mount in that image. 

My guess is the next Varicam will have this sensor. 
Varicam LT came out in 2016, so perhaps not too soon for a new Varicam in late 2019 to arrive. 

But I'd guess it would be a high end limited run camera from Panasonic, then in 2021 ish the cheaper "organic sensor Varicam LT replacement" will arrive. Skip forward another couple more years and an EVA2 might get it, then a couple more years after that a GHx will have it. 

The Varicam has a super35 sensor. They could do with a larger sensor I guess (Full Frame and larger). Especially if it needs to go 8k.

If this is the Camera, I guess they're sticking with the APS-C sized sensor (PL mount). Which seems rather curious. 

It’s funny that most here only consider Panasonic’s implementation of this sensor. Clearly Panasonic choose to work on this sensor with their Varicam line in mind. The real question is what are Fujifilm’s plans for this technology?

Why did Fujifilm choose to work on this sensor? What cameras / line did they plan to use such a sensor in? Are we expected to believe that Fujifilm invested millions of dollars, and years of work with zero plans to use the technology that they were co-developing?

I’ll say it again, it will be Fujifilm not Panasonic that introduces this sensor first in a hybrid body. It’s either that or Fujifilm just chose to throw away years of research and millions invested. That will not happen. This sensor is going to find its way into the XH2. Without it, all they can offer over the X-T3 is IBIS. This would present a major differentiation between the two lines.

9 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I’ll say it again, it will be Fujifilm not Panasonic that introduces this sensor first in a hybrid body. It’s either that or Fujifilm just chose to throw away years of research and millions invested. That will not happen. This sensor is going to find its way into the XH2. Without it, all they can offer over the X-T3 is IBIS. This would present a major differentiation between the two lines.

Sorry I have to disagree...I can't see any consumer product having this sensor for a good few years!

14 minutes ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

Sorry I have to disagree...I can't see any consumer product having this sensor for a good few years!

So why would Fujifilm develop a sensor they do not plan use? That makes zero sense. I have no inside information. My conclusion is simply drawn from the logical assumption that Fujifilm were working on something they had a plan to use. Anything other than this assumes Fujifilm worked on this project simply to benefit another company. That reasoning does not seem logical.

21 minutes ago, DBounce said:

So why would Fujifilm develop a sensor they do not plan use? That makes zero sense. I have no inside information. My conclusion is simply drawn from the logical assumption that Fujifilm were working on something they had a plan to use. Anything other than this assumes Fujifilm worked on this project simply to benefit another company. That reasoning does not seem logical.

We don't know what the deal is, like you said - we have little information about the sensor. The camcorder listed has to use an external box to process the footage? Do you really expect a small mirrorless camera to deal with such high power draw? It would also cost a hell of a lot more to produce/manufacture than their current x-trans sensors... 

dims.jpg

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

It’s funny that most here only consider Panasonic’s implementation of this sensor. Clearly Panasonic choose to work on this sensor with their Varicam line in mind. The real question is what are Fujifilm’s plans for this technology?

Why did Fujifilm choose to work on this sensor? What cameras / line did they plan to use such a sensor in? Are we expected to believe that Fujifilm invested millions of dollars, and years of work with zero plans to use the technology that they were co-developing?

Or something even greater. Fuji is making a comeback to motion pictures by producing cameras that compete in the professional filmmaking space. With a sensor that does justice to such an ambitious plan.