Nikon Z6 Low Light

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

"It’s the gain level that introduces noise, not the lack of light."

Its exactly the opposite, brother. Gain actually decreases the noise. Lack of light increases that. 

So then, by this logic, assuming the amount of light remains constant, increasing the gain will yield a cleaner image. So instead of shooting in a dark environment at 3200 ISO, just crank the ISO up to 25,000 and enjoy a super clean image... right? I mean the amount of light is still constant... the only thing changing is the image cleaning gain?

But meanwhile... back in the “real world”, boosting gain also boost the noise... meaning? A noisier image at higher ISOs.

Though I really think we all prefer your version.

Nice thank you ! I'm really liking the image. Flat profile ? Everybody praised it with the d750. It will be great to compare with the 10bits. I did not have time yesterday evening to perform some tests, but hopefully tonight will be OK. As for today, I've only shot short tests, with tweaked standard profile and the flat one, and I'm enjoying the output of the standard (I'll certainly ruin the flat footages in attempting to grade it so...).

By the way, are you considering buying a cage ? I've got an eye on the smallrigs (https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-cage-for-nikon-z6-nikon-z7-camera-2243.html) + lens adapter support.

6 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

Nice thank you ! I'm really liking the image. Flat profile ? 

By the way, are you considering buying a cage ? I've got an eye on the smallrigs (https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-cage-for-nikon-z6-nikon-z7-camera-2243.html) + lens adapter support.

Yes flat profile. Sharpening and NR low/off. Can’t recall if this is only for stills mode. I know it only comes into use on high ISOs.

No cage for now. I want to carry this camera and it’s a pain to get cameras in and out of cages when you want to put them on a gimbal, or travel light. It attaches at two points... there is no fast way to release the body. When you need the camera you pretty much find yourself pulling the entire rig apart.

I’m holding out for something closer to this for the Z mount.

20 hours ago, DBounce said:

So then, by this logic, assuming the amount of light remains constant, increasing the gain will yield a cleaner image. So instead of shooting in a dark environment at 3200 ISO, just crank the ISO up to 25,000 and enjoy a super clean image... right? I mean the amount of light is still constant... the only thing changing is the image cleaning gain?

Exactly. Generally, you get less noise if you raise the gain by a stop while shooting, and then pull it down a stop in post, though you can lose highlight detail. Assuming that the "gain" is actually gain and not just metadata, like it is on most Blackmagic cameras.