My forgotten anamorphic, is it any good?

Tony Webber

Hi,

I was having a clear out at home and found my old anamorphic lens. I think I bought it about 15 years ago and used to use it with a super8 projector.

I don't know much about the make and model, does anyone know anything about this lens? Is it any good? Here's the lens.

[attachment=523:moller01.jpg]

[attachment=524:moller02.jpg]

I see from this forum that people are using similar anamorphics to shoot with. Can anyone recommend a lens to pair it with? 

Thanks in advance

Tony

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for that John.

What's the procedure for shooting with an anamorphic? Do I mount it to a 50mm and shoot everything with that single lens or move it onto longer focal lengths and shoot closeups on say a 90mm? 

Also on a 50mm it would give a 25mm field of view which isn't particularly wide on APS-C, is there any way to go wider?

Thanks

Some ideas for mounting are here

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/2614-sold-moeller-322x-cinemascope-compact-anamorphot-rig/

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/2398-my-compact-moeller-322x-rig-scope-on-a-rope/

You have to focus on both lenses, and to go wider with a 2x scope you will need to start looking at more expensive 5 figure dedicated units 

I just held the lens in front a 50mm on my 550d and i can see the edges, I guess I'll need a longer lens to avoid this. 

How about a wide angle adapter screwed into the front of the anamorphic? Do you know what diameter the front screw thread is?

With regard to closeups, I see people are using diopters. Would a set of these mean the anamorphic stays on one lens and then you screw on a diopter when you want a closeup?

Sorry for all the questions!

With a 50mm lens behind the scope, take the 1080x1920 footage into post and scale it 0.75x vertically and 1.5x horizontally, then just keep the central 1x bit giving you 810 x 1920, true 2x CinemaScope. This means you cut off the sides where there is vignetting.

I use Zeiss Proxars 0.5D and 1.0D with the Moeller.

A Nikon No.0 0.7D works well too and Sigma Achromat