Which all in one mic/recorder?

Dan Wake

The interesting thing about this topic is the range of responses. From the Zoom F8 (which seems like overkill given the original question as posted - notwithstanding that it may also be the “best” solution) to the F1 (cheap and apparently very convenient) via various other solutions. Clearly, there is no one correct answer although there may be several wrong ones... 

Is in-camera recording really that bad? Is a Zoom F1 with the supplied lav really better than, say, a P4k with a professional quality lav mic (eg Sony ECM77B sort of thing) plugged in? 

It’s all very well saying that the best sound requires a sound man/woman. Yes. But in the real world, the question “what should single operators do?” remains. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Reporter mikes can be just as stupid as a shotgun mike. How many interviews have you seen where the "reporter" takes the mike away from the person before they are even finished talking, and vice versa.  It happens all the time. During NAB shows seems to be the worse. Drives me crazy. At least the shogun mike has the same coverage all the time not in and out like a lot of reporter mikes are used a lot. People don't normally talk back and forth to each other and just abruptly stop at every question. It is un natural as hell.

And this guy sure as hell isn't going to be able to afford two wireless Lav mikes and receivers, or even a setup with both plugged into a recorder. And I doubt he is going to carry around a boom mike and stand either. That is why the average persons audio sort of sucks, but hey it is what it is. Use a shotgun mike on a adapter like @IronFilm suggested.

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Reporter mikes can be just as stupid as a shotgun mike. How many interviews have you seen where the "reporter" takes the mike away from the person before they are even finished talking, and vice versa.  It happens all the time. During NAB shows seems to be the worse. Drives me crazy. At least the shogun mike has the same coverage all the time not in and out like a lot of reporter mikes are used a lot. People don't normally talk back and forth to each other and just abruptly stop at every question. It is un natural as hell.

With a shotgun is held in front of a person for an interview then it is even more important to have it on axis at the right time than a reporter's mic (that is one of their benefits, they can be used be less skilled people such as reporter's). So @webrunner5 you might have got this back to front

@Anaconda_  if the reporter has the experience and is on their toes, then a shotgun can make sense. (& it seems they're been kept behind the barrier so can't get close for interviews, thus a shotgun could be a smarter choice here)
Plus also pointing to red carpet events is a bit meaningless, even "big stuff" can have poor equipment and inexperience. 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

it seems they're been kept behind the barrier so can't get close for interviews, thus a shotgun could be a smarter choice here

I'm really trying not to argue with you, and in most other posts really agree with your thoughts and opinions, however this assumption is wrong again.

I was also filming that same event (the Emma Stone grab is from my LS300), and handed my reporter a reporter's mic, they're really not that far away. The barrier is to keep everyone in an orderly line, giving them a specific spot to set up - not to make you stand 6 feet away. Sure there's separation, but they're close enough to hug hello if the reporter is familiar with them.

I'm posting the red carpet events because you have to work quickly, no second chances and only time for a couple of soundbites, which sounds close to the situation OP will be filming in.

Anyway, my point is, as a 1 man crew who doesn't want the mic in shot and doesn't want to use a lav, there's really only 1 last option, and it's an option many professionals regularly use.

It also depends what your actual intent with the material is, how good does it need to be?

It is kind of the same question that has been asked last week. How can you make a tiny hybrid cam look like its cinema? We'll you kind of cannot, but you can get pretty far.

My feeling for sound is, it is so much more harder to bring it to a high class level, if you are a one man band and shoot out in busy places. 

7 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I'm really trying not to argue with you, and in most other posts really agree with your thoughts and opinions, however this assumption is wrong again.

I think you're misunderstanding my point. 
It is not that they MUST stand far away, of course the guests on the red carpet can come as close as they wish. 
But I'm sure there are also guests who stand at a sub optimal position an extra foot or two too far off, or just don't stop and only give a throw away comment as they pass by. 
That is what I was meaning. 

7 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Anyway, my point is, as a 1 man crew who doesn't want the mic in shot and doesn't want to use a lav, there's really only 1 last option, and it's an option many professionals regularly use.

Yes, I do agree with you under those conditions. 

But for your average joe they'll get a much better result with a reporter's mic in shot than trying to handheld a shotgun correctly just out of frame. 

2 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

I highly doubt that any professional shooters simultaneously operate a monopod and a shotgun mic on a boom.

If they do, and do it well, I hope they get paid a grand an hour.

Been there... done that!

As I've done this for a laugh one friday night while drinking with a buddy.... we made this:

(he did all the directing/editing, and ALL THE ACTING! Both of them! And I did sound/lighting/camera all by myself. And did twice the amount of drinking to make up for the lack of his drinking)