My New Pocket4K Android App

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

BTW, speaking of devil, will it be able to control tap-to-focus feature from smartphone touchscreen as much as happens with the camera LCD without any lag/delay?

Both on camera and smartphone will be available at same time without issues?

Have you already test it if so?

The single instant AF (centre screen) is no problem but the positional AF from the camera's own touch screen isn't in the spec for obvious reasons (ie its related to the camera's own screen).

Everything is bi-directional so if you change the aperture or ISO etc on the camera it will be reflected in the app as well and all of the control interfaces can be used simultaneously and remain in sync so you can use the camera controls themselves, the interface on the camera  touch screen, the interface on the Android app and a hardware joystick controller without any switching.

• Super Members
38 minutes ago, wyrlyn said:

Is it possible to include a file transfer funcition? for stills and maybe video.

No, the camera does not currently have any file transfer capabilities.

If BM include it in the future then it can be incorporated.

In the meantime, if you want to transfer wirelessly to your phone then you could use a Toshiba FlashAir wifi SD card as the recording medium in the camera. They are rated at 90MB/s so will be fast enough for the more compressed versions of ProRes or for the DNG stills.

A browser and transfer functionality for the FlashAir could be incorporated relatively simply if there is a demand for it.

I personally think the path of least resistance though is to use the Samsung T5 drive to record on as it can be read by the phone and the transfer speed even on a DNG still versus wifi transfer far outweighs the few moments of a cable swap from camera to phone ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members

A quick look at it in action from the final testing this week.

This is it being used in the reduced interface mode (selectable on startup) which gives you the option to run without focus or zoom individually.

The reduced mode is particularly useful for running on really small devices such as the Pixi 4 phone here whose reduced footprint makes them ideal for rail mounting for hands off side operation/monitoring of the camera settings.

SDIM0361.thumb.jpg.2e8465c731c9015a667999ff0ec76f90.jpg

SDIM0370.thumb.jpg.f68e0e18706ae1230644034f30b48976.jpg

• Super Members
52 minutes ago, mercer said:

How is it? 

They don't get a lot of love compared to the other brands and I've got absolutely no frame of reference to compare them against those myself.

All I can say is that for me they are very smooth, pretty fast, imperceivable breathing, massive focus throw, heavy as fuck and the very antithesis of stealthy.

So, all in all, a PL lens ;)

I was under the impression that they were re-housed Sigmas (the first RED zoom and the 300mm prime certainly are) but following this thread they appear to be Tamron and could possibly have had a smaller form factor if Mr. SHOCK AWE CAPITAL LETTERS STORM FORCE ALPHA MALE BIG TITANIUM SHIT WITH FINS ON hadn't have requested otherwise.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=75054

EDIT>>>

FORGOT TO ADD LINK !!

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=75054

• Super Members

Another update to keep things ticking over, this time about controllers.

Currently, there are three wireless controller types as you can see here.

SDIM0388.thumb.jpg.6641de3facaf7c734eb1813bcdd4e571.jpg

Two of them are standard looking console style gamepad controllers but have fold out grips to hold the phone and their keys and joysticks are directly mapped to the camera's controls.

They are slightly different sizes and the one on the left is holding the compact Pixi4 phone which as you can see is running in reduced interface mode.

However, the important thing to note is that although the screen is running in reduced interface mode, the underlying focus and zoom controls can still be operated by the control pad.

This is important when it comes to the very small control pad that you can see in the foreground, which is particularly intended for use with gimbals.

When used with any of these controllers, the app acts as a central hub to receive the input from the control pads over bluetooth and then process them and pass them on to the camera.

Although the image above shows the controllers with the smartphones in the cradles there is actually no need for them to be used in this way but it is there to illustrate how someone may use them if the camera is mounted on a crane or motorised slider or by a seconds operator etc where this RC style approach is very useful.

Because of this hub mode, you can actually just leave the smartphone in your pocket and then with the small controller operate the camera from a gimbal or even just mount it on the handle of a rig or the arm of a tripod as though it were a dedicated hardware remote.

The typical prices for the two larger controllers are around £20 and the small one is under £10.

Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the release next week.

SDIM0389.thumb.jpg.b97618006aac36f296c2e389b39652d2.jpg

• Super Members
52 minutes ago, mercer said:

Very cool... I wish something like this was available for the Micro.

There are some interesting bits for the Micro that people have made using modified RC controllers.

The Micro has a LANC port though and that is a serious omission on the Pocket4K as far as I'm concerned as it would make a very simple way for start/stop at least.

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Could be me being stupid and not finding it but is it up yet?

(Definitely in the “if BTM_pix wants us to wait then HE has a good reason and I want to wait” camp so no hassle!) 

Hope it’s going well! 

It's complete and has been for a few weeks but it is actually being held up from release for Brexit related reasons.

I shit you not.

I'm expecting it to be another two weeks.