We Are There... The Current Top Hybrids Are Good Enough

DBounce

On 12/13/2018 at 7:04 AM, Django said:

Overall i think they achieved what they wanted but the producer did share with me some horror stories of camera failures (they went through at least a dozen bodies).

Whoa, a DOZEN bodies? How? What went wrong with them?

Was surprised how the a7R mk3 was overheating on the web series I'm working on currently, as I really did think that Sony had  resolved the overheating with generation mk3? But I suppose not. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Cameras (not just hybrids), have ALWAYS been "good enough".     But when I look at the crap I did ten years ago, I shudder and cringe (and a lot of that IS down to the tech, I am just as crap as I have always been (photos mainly, dabbling in video). 

On 12/13/2018 at 7:31 PM, zerocool22 said:

I often wonder why people would rent camera's. Even studio's, or production houses. Just buy the camera and use it, when done sell it again. I will bet it will be a lot cheaper. 

A few reasons:
1) there is a lot of hassle/overheard/uncertainty when it comes to re-selling items

2) for shorter length projects (such as adverts) then it makes no sense whatsoever to buy an expensive camera just for that only to sell it again immediately afterward, and even for longer projects then fanatically it might still not make sense because of the deals they might get ("3 day weeks" are very common, sometimes even crazy things like "1 day weeks" are offered for long term projects with good clients)

3) people are not renting items purely just for the physical item itself, but also for the service which comes with it. This is key for many productions. 

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Whoa, a DOZEN bodies? How? What went wrong with them?

i think they pretty much dealt with every scenario: overheating, freezing, weather sealing failures, mount failures, sensor dust/scratching etc..

keep in mind they were shooting a lot in multi-cam so that required multiple backup units to face such issues/failures..

to give a bit more context, it was over a very long shooting period (18 months or so) and under harsh element conditions (beach, desert, mountains).

in this particular case, the reasoning i think was let's buy several compact bodies that are easy to travel with, discrete in sensitive areas and pretty much disposable.