MonoPod usage

DanielVranic

Hey guys. Been talking to alot of the video team here at my work as well as on a couple of the group and I can't really seem to get a clear consensus.

I have 2 XT3's and love them to death. One of them is semi-permanently mounted to my Ronin S w the Follow Focus system. and the other I have had on my old Amazon garbage tripod. I want to be able to switch around the systems for convenience. The Ronin uses 501PL plates and I want to keep using those as that is what I am comfortable with.

Does anyone recommend a MonoPod that can take a 501 plate that is great for run and gun situations? I do alot of live club shoots and would need the space and I think the tripod would take up too much of that. Not sure really what to do, and looking for opinions and options.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, Parker said:

Talk about dumb luck, a film crew came in today to shoot a small doc in my buildings kitchen and they had two of these! I met up with the guys on their break and they let me use it and it is awesome!!!

13 minutes ago, DanielVranic said:

Talk about dumb luck, a film crew came in today to shoot a small doc in my buildings kitchen and they had two of these! I met up with the guys on their break and they let me use it and it is awesome!!!

cheap Benro > than cheap Manfrotto. The S6 head is quite good for the money, I used it on a Benro monopod and it is a great setup, but the S4 is ok for a monopod.

cheap Benro > than cheap Manfrotto. Yeah neither company is something to write home to mother about for Quality Control.  I have no clue why these company's can't pick up the pace on how the hell they build their stuff. Both have good ideas, and piss poor assembly procedures.

3 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

What about Sirui? They make some quality stuff! 

My big beefy Sirui monopod is a beast with my Sony PMW-F3 on it

56 minutes ago, KnowsNothing said:

Is it better to spring for an expensive monopod over a tripod? I haven’t used one before but question their ability to smoothly pan due to stability. On the otherhand, one leg is so much less conspicuous for impromptu setups which appeals to me.

They're two different purposes. Just like a steadicam and gimbal are totally different. 

Given the choice I would spend a TON more money on a great Tripod than a monopod. You can extend the legs on a Tripod and keep it folded up and act like a monopod. There is no way in hell I am taking my hands off of a monopod, feet or not with 3000 dollars of gear on it or more. So total shakelss footage is sort of out of the question on one. You really need both, You could rotate the fluid heard between them to save money.

I hang nearly 10 pounds of weight off the bottom of a tripod as a given. You can never be steady enough for video. Now if you have a 20 pound camera rig or more you may not need that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 3:14 PM, webrunner5 said:

Given the choice I would spend a TON more money on a great Tripod than a monopod. You can extend the legs on a Tripod and keep it folded up and act like a monopod. There is no way in hell I am taking my hands off of a monopod, feet or not with 3000 dollars of gear on it or more. So total shakelss footage is sort of out of the question on one. You really need both, You could rotate the fluid heard between them to save money.

I hang nearly 10 pounds of weight off the bottom of a tripod as a given. You can never be steady enough for video. Now if you have a 20 pound camera rig or more you may not need that.

Horses for courses. if you talking about long interview or any kind of long still shot then tripod is better but if you have to use it in an event situation like wedding monopod wins all day long. I only use tripod for my B-cam during ceremony and 1st dance nowadays. My A cam stays permanent on the monopod or glidecame.

To the OP, stay far away from any manforotto monopod. This vide summed up my experience quite well. my setup is a sirui 424 and manfrotto 500 head which can handle BMPCC4k and sigma 18-35 without any issues