Taking lens recommendations 5d mk III + Kowa 16H

bcsarmaa

I made my first anamorphic purchase with a Kowa 16-H.  I am waiting for Redstan adapters and I wanted to get  some feedback on which taking lens would be ideal with my setup.

I've heard that anything below 80mm will vignetter due to the Kowa's 2x and the mk III sensor size.

For any mk ii / mk iii owners out there... what taking lenses are you using/recommend for your Kowa 2x?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 11 months later...

I just bought this Jupiter 9 from eBay from your recommendation, but it looks different to the other ones i see on eBay that look a little like a Helios 58/2 this one looks straighter, is it a cheaper model or am i good with this? I dont seem to see an aperture ring on it, could it be fixed wide open? That would be no good with the 16H would it?

0991db45af412f2d78d3e42507ababd7.jpg

The others that seem pricier look like this though:

jupiter-9-russian-slr-m42-lens-type-1_0.

Again, I'm confused. "85mm is what is needed" to avoid vignetting, then Vid atlantic say a 50mm lens gives 'a little' vignetting, while saying the Helios 58/2 is a good match for the 5D. So how can the Helios 58/2 be a good match for the 5D and also be the 'recommended' lens for anamorphic use with M43 format? I mean one has twice the crop factor of the other and people are recommending the same lens? I am missing something, and brains is only a small part of it.

Again, I'm confused. "85mm is what is needed" to avoid vignetting, then Vid atlantic say a 50mm lens gives 'a little' vignetting, while saying the Helios 58/2 is a good match for the 5D. So how can the Helios 58/2 be a good match for the 5D and also be the 'recommended' lens for anamorphic use with M43 format? I mean one has twice the crop factor of the other and people are recommending the same lens? I am missing something, and brains is only a small part of it.

There are a few factors to consider, such as individual lens and mounting method.
But really, the key is aperture setting. If memory serves me right, you can use a Helios 58 wide open, but as soon as you stop down, you will start to see vignetting. Anything past f4 and you will probably start seeing some edges. In some cases you will be fine shooting wide open, but bear in mind these scope lenses will get sharper as you stop down.

The bottom line you will be able to use a 58 with your Kowa, but you will see vignetting past f4/5.6. The 85 will not vignette at all, at any f stop.

Unfortunately we dont have the Kowas right now to confirm, but the Helios 58mm was giving us little vignetting. After looking at our video and the notes, the Canon 50mm lens that was mentioned in the posting was an FD lens. So there was a crop factor introduced via the FD to EOS adapter which is why we had minimal vignetting. I'm not sure exactly how strong of a crop. We dont have video of the Kowa with the Nikon 50mm f1.8, but there was probably more vignetting vs the Canon FD lens as I dont think the Nikon converters introduce a crop.

Tito's video clearly shows that a 58mm lens will vignette with the Kowa on a FF camera.

Using an 85mm lens is being safe, but remember that you'll get an Anamorphic FOV of about 47mm.

So if you can find a 75mm lens then that should be ok, since the widest that you'll be able to go to is an Anamorphic FOV of about 40mm & that is plenty wide (you can try to push it to a 65mm to get 35mm). Just don't get hung up about the fact that you'll seem to be using lenses that aren't v.wide.

Also, the lenses that you use are up to you, since they all produce a different look - the general rule of thumb is that anamorphics tend to like taking lenses with simple recipes, which is why most people advocate the Helios.

But some people like Super Takumars, Canon FDs, Nikon ai-s, Russain or Zeiss, there are others & each lens can play differently with a specific Anamorphic.

Zooms are out really & the only Anamorphic lens i've found that was made to be used with them is the Iscorama 54.

Start with what you have & then move on from there.

Watch videos posted & make a judgement call.

To do this one would need about $1000 worth of ring adapters, lens clamps & kits, for every different diameter lens "in ones' arsenal" to try out with a 16H/8Z lens.

Don't be silly, all you'll need is one clamp & some stepping rings, you'll end up with a few - we all do.

You don't go and buy a clamp per taking lens!

Hi

Recently I upgraded from 50D to 5D. On a aps-c like 50D the kowa 8z works great with 50mm taking lens, no vignetting. But the same 50mm shows a lot vignetting on the 5D, because FF. So I go for 85mm on the 5D.

Workflow: With ML 5D3 you can go 1600x1290 or 1536x1290 and do the processing in MLV Mystic or RawMagic. Then import DNG in Davinci resolve, set clip attributes to cinemascope in pixel aspect ratio and you're ready to go.

Cheers,

Jorgen Gerstel