Blind Smartphone Camera Test 2018

AlexTrinder96

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am not really surprised. It took me years and years of shooting photos to come to the conclusion that the average person could give a rats ass of the pictures I took of trees, bridges, railroad tracks, mountains on and on. They wanted to see pictures of people, even of people they didn't know. Now if people were in the above photos I stated they were happy and spent time Really looking at it, or commenting on it. Just a lone beautiful tree in a picturesque setting with no person in it hell it got passed to the next person about as fast as you can push it LoL..

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I am not really surprised. It took me years and years of shooting photos to come to the conclusion that the average person could give a rats ass of the pictures I took of trees, bridges, railroad tracks, mountains on and on. They wanted to see pictures of people, even of people they didn't know. Now if people were in the above photos I stated they were happy and spent time Really looking at it, or commenting on it. Just a lone beautiful tree in a picturesque setting with no person in it hell it got passed to the next person about as fast as you can push it LoL..

As you know I make travel and home videos for my family and looking back on my finished projects it's the ones that are full of shots of us that are the nicest.  The kids are in "that phase" where they don't like me pointing a camera at them (or seeing themselves appear in the final product - my daughter says "ew!" every time she sees herself..) but I'm persevering for those moments I can get a nice shot.  I've recently started getting over-the-shoulder shots of us looking at big buildings or grand views, or doing the mid-shot and then pan to the thing.  No idea if these will work but I'm trying :)

Trees and stuff are nice, but unless you're the cinema equivalent of Ansel Adams it can all start to look at bit like clip-art at some point.

Interesting indeed

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

They wanted to see pictures of people, even of people they didn't know. 

Yup, this is why some people regard skin tonnes as being so very very important, in terms of how the camera renders it. 

Which brings up an interesting quirk about this test, the only skin tones this test ever had is his own. No one else was ever used as a model in the pics other than himself.  

If this test was done again then it would be an extremely good idea to also include some Caucasian, Asian, and Latino skin tones. At a minimum.