Advice Help For Next Camera

fromdecember

1 hour ago, kye said:

I think actually that this "benchmark" is a good one for buying equipment - if all the features that you use on your camera are better than you then there's no point upgrading.

^ This! This. 

Too often I see comments like "I own a Panasonic GH4" should I buy an URSA Mini Pro or RED Raven or Canon C200 or or or or?  When they're giving no context for their question whatsoever. Then when context does arrive... you realize they don't know at all what they're getting themselves into and should just stick with their GH4 and push themselves harder to get the most out of it! (like those folks who might only own the GH4 and a kit lens and think they should get a UMP next??)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

^ This! This. 

Too often I see comments like "I own a Panasonic GH4" should I buy an URSA Mini Pro or RED Raven or Canon C200 or or or or?  When they're giving no context for their question whatsoever. Then when context does arrive... you realize they don't know at all what they're getting themselves into and should just stick with their GH4 and push themselves harder to get the most out of it! (like those folks who might only own the GH4 and a kit lens and think they should get a UMP next??)

I agree.  It's definitely hard though when you have the best in the business making great looking edits and using the best equipment - the logic would then suggest that part of the output is the operator and part is the equipment, so if you want better results quickly then buying the part of that picture you can kind-of makes sense.  Unfortunately, the thing that isn't obvious is that it's more like 50% operator, 30% lenses, and only 20% camera, but it's the camera that people fixate on :)

36 minutes ago, kye said:

Unfortunately, the thing that isn't obvious is that it's more like 50% operator, 30% lenses, and only 20% camera, but it's the camera that people fixate on :)

And those numbers vary a lot from shoot to shoot. Sometimes it is more like 75% the skills, 15% lighting, 5% lenses, 5% camera. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

And those numbers vary a lot from shoot to shoot. Sometimes it is more like 75% the skills, 15% lighting, 5% lenses, 5% camera. 

Yes, lighting.. I forget that other people have control of that lol.

If we add in other things like acting, sound design, music, grading, vfx, art department, etc the camera percentage approaches zero!

Yeah but some cameras do make a pretty big difference on the ease of the output. The Canon C100 is one example of that in using say Wide DR or a Sony F3.. That is pretty good right out of camera. Heck of a lot easier than having a Canon 5D mk III using ML. And they are pretty much the same money. Sure if you are talented as heck doing coloring, yeah any camera can probably get the job done, but how many people are great at that aspect.